Author Topic: DM10 MKII PRO KIT  (Read 8414 times)

DM10 MKII PRO KIT
« on: October 14, 2017, 05:10:52 PM »
Hi guys, I'm a new owner of a DM10 MKII PRO KIT, and naturally I'm trying to fiddle with it.

Trying to figure out why there's no information about the kit online or on forums? I can't find any help troubleshooting adding new kits and etc.

I'm using this guide (http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=947.0) to add some new custom sounds, but I've come to find that it doesn't work for my module. Why did Alesis make this so confusing? 3 different DM10's, and none of them are cross compatible with firmware updaters and all that? Forgive me, maybe I'm overthinking this but that's really annoying.

Holding the record button when I turn it on does nothing.
There are 0 (zero) downloads on the official Alesis product page.
Can't check firmware version in the module.

all I want to do is add kits and it won't even tell me what format they need to be in on the USB KEY!

Re: DM10 MKII PRO KIT
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 05:14:10 PM »
am I better off just throwing the module in the trash and getting the standard dm10??? I want to be part of the community and contribute, but It looks like i bought the wrong kit and there's no cross compatability between 3(4????) DM10 modules.

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 08:16:32 PM »
Those instructions are for the original DM10 module.  The module you have is not the same.
How are the factory sounds by the way?

Offline rhysT

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 09:11:39 PM »
Hi guys, I'm a new owner of a DM10 MKII PRO KIT, and naturally I'm trying to fiddle with it.

Trying to figure out why there's no information about the kit online or on forums? I can't find any help troubleshooting adding new kits and etc.

I'm using this guide (http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=947.0) to add some new custom sounds, but I've come to find that it doesn't work for my module. Why did Alesis make this so confusing? 3 different DM10's, and none of them are cross compatible with firmware updaters and all that? Forgive me, maybe I'm overthinking this but that's really annoying.

All I want to do is add kits and it won't even tell me what format they need to be in on the USB KEY!

FWIW, reading the DM10 MkII Pro User guide (p14-15) is prob'ly the most useful info at this stage, plus check out the Appendix & Tech specs from p74.

I guess the 'brains trust' at Alesis thought that recycling the DM10 name tag might convince new users that a MkII Pro version could be better than the original. Actually the Strike module includes some of the original DM10's useful functions like A+B sound layering/etc which the MkII & Pro versions don't have, so that also adds to the confusion.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 11:59:00 PM by rhysT »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 10:49:10 PM »
am I better off just throwing the module in the trash and getting the standard dm10??? I want to be part of the community and contribute, but It looks like i bought the wrong kit and there's no cross compatability between 3(4????) DM10 modules.

Maybe also consider the cost-effective combo option of using your MkII Pro module to trigger any VST software, like the Mimic-based Slate Drums 5 when it's finally released.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:59:10 PM by rhysT »

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 11:47:58 AM »
Purchased this kit about a month ago.  Very happy with the hardware, not a huge fan of the module. Support is nearly non-existent at this point.  I think VST may be the best route.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 12:18:20 PM »
I'll look into a VST software,  I had seen some talk about a few around here. Forgive me gentlemen, but I am completely new to E-drums (I'm going in blind here)

If I want something that is more suited to having a big library of kits for me to play with, which VST are the best for that?

I've seen SLATE, Addictive Drums 2, and EZ drummer.

Those instructions are for the original DM10 module.  The module you have is not the same.
How are the factory sounds by the way?

I'm really happy with them. Have a lot to learn to get the most out of them, but for my first E-KIT I'm extremely happy.

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 09:18:29 AM »
Anyone else out there with this kit? Would love to connect and figure this out together
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:33:35 PM by thundabird »

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 05:38:01 PM »
Found out the kit files are in a ".kit" file extension. Is there any other module that has kits in such an extension? this is my next step of research it seems.

also I've run into my first serious problem: When I hit my crash 1 pad, once in a while it will start playing a song (one of those preloaded songs for you to play with) then I can hit it again to stop the song. Yes this basically means I can't use my crash 1 at all when this issue is occuring. Sometimes a simple power down and restart will fix it, and other times it won't stop until a factory reset. Only to come back a few hours later. 

No luck finding anyone else with my issue, (let alone another owner of this model of kit :P) so I made a support ticket. Will update as news comes for posterity or for someone else looking for a solution like I was.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 10:21:11 PM »
Found out the kit files are in a ".kit" file extension. Is there any other module that has kits in such an extension? this is my next step of research it seems.

also I've run into my first serious problem: When I hit my crash 1 pad, once in a while it will start playing a song (one of those preloaded songs for you to play with) then I can hit it again to stop the song. Yes this basically means I can't use my crash 1 at all when this issue is occuring. Sometimes a simple power down and restart will fix it, and other times it won't stop until a factory reset. Only to come back a few hours later. 

No luck finding anyone else with my issue, (let alone another owner of this model of kit :P) so I made a support ticket. Will update as news comes for posterity or for someone else looking for a solution like I was.

The .kit file is a small file probably 2-3kb..it's the path to the samples used for the kit..it's not a kit
For the Crash 1 problem..enter the Kit menu
Press F1-Voice to enter the voice menu
Hit the pad you want to edit (in this case Crash1)
use the up down buttons and go to Pad Pattern...see if you can turn it off..or select none..

See if that's of any help...

Offline VandalX

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 12:17:37 AM »
Anyone else out there with this kit? Would love to connect and figure this out together

Hi There! I just recently received my DM10 MKII Pro and I'm having fun just sitting and playing around with stuff. I'm in the same boat insofar as trying to figure out how to add kits from external sources. The scant instructions gave me hope that I could add stuff via the USB flash drive port, but it's not clear to me how this is accomplished. Considering this kit seems to have hit the sweet spot of being the last DM 10 model (but probably not, they'll just rearrange the letter/numbers) while the Crimson II and Strike bookend the MKII into oblivion, I have a feeling we might be on our own with regards to support or future features. However, it does do a lot in my limited experience (first e-kit). It's probably going to come down to getting a VST and adding kits that way. I tried the demo of AD, and it worked great, except for my paltry MacBook AIR which generates tremendous latency. So I'll need to upgrade my laptop (was going to anyway). But right now, I'm just playing along with the various kits and stupid play along songs...having a good time.

Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro (with Tama Iron Cobra double). Pearl Export acoustic. Fostex VF160EX Digital multitrack (16). Fostex monitors. Roland TR-626 drum machine. Roland Juno 106 Poly synth. Aria Knight Warrior. Peavy Fury. Digitech GNX3000. Digitech RP360. Tascam Porta 05 four track. MacBook Air.

Offline VandalX

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »
Good morning. I am a fellow recent DM10 MKII Pro user. I've had the set for a few days now, and I'm exploring what I can and can't do with it all. We seem to be a small portion of the Alesis community, but this forum is a great resource for all things e-drum related. It would be great to put together a topic page for DM10 MKII Pro users...all two of us!
Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro (with Tama Iron Cobra double). Pearl Export acoustic. Fostex VF160EX Digital multitrack (16). Fostex monitors. Roland TR-626 drum machine. Roland Juno 106 Poly synth. Aria Knight Warrior. Peavy Fury. Digitech GNX3000. Digitech RP360. Tascam Porta 05 four track. MacBook Air.

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 12:58:34 AM »
Hi
I just got a New DM10MKII for Christmas and we also bought the DM10 Pro X Hi hat. Both have male plugs. Would it be as simple as using double female adapters to make the connection, or do I need a different cable set to make the two work together?
Thanks in Advance,
Brian

Online Hellfire

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 08:35:01 AM »
Hi
I just got a New DM10MKII for Christmas and we also bought the DM10 Pro X Hi hat. Both have male plugs. Would it be as simple as using double female adapters to make the connection, or do I need a different cable set to make the two work together?
Thanks in Advance,
Brian

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the forum. Please keep in mind that it is not necessary for you to post the same message in multiple places on the forum. Your question will not get answered any more quickly because of it and it just mucks up the forum. With that in mind I removed your other post with the exact info.

As to your question. The DM10 Pro X Hi hat was not designed to work with the DM10MKII module. Unfortunately not all DM10 modules are the same device. There are actually three different DM10 module and they are not the same (DM10, DM10 MKII, and DM10 MKII Pro). The DM10 Pro X Hi Hat was designed to work with the original DM10 module that was first released in 2009. I don't think there is a way to make the Pro X Hi Hat work with the MKII. At least I haven't heard of anyone getting it to work with the MKII yet. Maybe someone else can chime in to confirm.

Thanks, and again, welcome to the forum.

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 12:06:02 AM »
The DM10 Pro X HiHat works SEAMLESSLY with the new DM10MKII module. I connected the 1/4” and 1/8” cables using couplers and it WORKED! The DM10  works great out of the box with no fiddling!
I only posted in two locations because of your layout. I decided to add it to this existing post because it seemed to fit here better. Didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers. Thanks for the warm welcome.
All the Best,
Brian

Offline Iggford

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 09:14:00 AM »
So I wonder if that was one of the "enhancements" that Alesis added to the DM10 MKII Pro.  It would have been nice if they had told in the manual how to connect the Pro-X if you have one (if they even realized it would work). 

Of course, it could have been strictly coincidental that it worked from the beginning.  Great information, though!

--
Shawn

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 04:52:49 PM »
Howdy,
    I bought both at the same time from Kraft Music. They had a bundle offer with the DM10MKII kit. We asked if they could keep the bundle (which included a bunch of “new to drums” stuff) and include the HiHat instead. The salesman agreed to this and we got the kit fairly quick.
The Pro X HiHat is waaay better than stock, although the striking surface is hard and noisier than the regular hihat pad. It’s well worth the street price of around $100 US!

Brian

Offline Iggford

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 02:06:41 PM »
I bought one a year ago to go with my DM10 kit.  I loved the concept, and when I could get it to work reliably, I loved the hi-hat itself.  I never could quite get the settings dialed in right though.  I had to abandon it for now since the band I play in has been gigging more lately.  Now that there are some new tips and tricks popping up that people are learning, I'm anxious to get it back out and give it another go.

--
Shawn.

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 09:04:15 AM »
if anyone is trying to input samples into the MKII pro you need a good drive.  Some cheaper drives don't even register when in the slot.   I found sandisk to be the safest brand.   

You take that thumb drive and insert it into the usb slot.   Now you need to press the USB button.  If it does not go to the USB menu and tells you to insert your USB then you have an unsupported Drive and need a better one.  Get atleast a 32gb card.  Once it recognizes your thumbdrive scroll down to USB format.   

this is going to erase all data from the drive so make sure your files are somewhere on your computer.  They need to be WAV sample and need to be below a certain size.   You cant take kits from any other alesis modules.  Nothing is cross compatible.   

You may be able to get kits to work from other modules but you have to load individual hits instead of whole kits.   Once your drive is formatted it is ready to put into your computer.

Now you go into your computer files and open your thumbdrive.  Drag and drop your samples into the drive.  Full kits go into the kits folder.  and individual hits in another folder (cant remember the name)   once the kits and samples are loaded you now take that thumb drive and put it back into your module.

Now you are going to go into the USB menu again and now you want to press "load"  this will allow you to select from either your kit samples or your individual hits and you can load those samples into specific file locations within your module.   Note that loading a kit to your module does not remove the kit from the USB drive.   

NOTE: YOU MUST format the drive before loading samples to it.  Formatting the drive ensures you have the proper file locations for different samples and to ensure they load properly in your module.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 10:19:20 PM »
Very cool. So once the sounds are loaded into the module (DM10 MKII), does the thumb drive need to stay plugged in, or does it load into internal memory? Do you know?

Not sure if this is any use to any of you, but Alesis does offer some free sounds on their site for the Sample Pad Pro. I imagine it would be worth the download to see if there's anything in there you like.

Just go to Alesis.com and look up the Sample Pad Pro. I think it's Products > Modules/controllers, ro something like that.

On the Sample Pad Pro product page, go to the Downloads tab.

Also, I'm into VFX for filmmakers and have a decent collection of high quality sound files and most of them are well within the size limits of the DM10 MKII module. There are a LOT of sounds available online for filmmakers.
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 10:03:00 PM »
well ultimately I sent back the MKII.  I just needed better sounds.  I now have a strike.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 03:41:29 PM »
LOL!!! I'm even more jealous now!!!
Bravo, my friend!!!  Bravo!

Did you try playing with the cool voice-altering settings in the DM10 MKII Module?

I checked out the owners manual from Alesis.com and am pretty impressed with what they've done to the module. Cymbal size parameters, Drum head tension, start/stop loop... pretty cool stuff!

No need to worry about that now... Strike Module is Insane Awesome!!!

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 09:47:13 PM »
the mkII pro just doesn't sound very good.  And while it has many many things in it that allow you to tweak the sounds but I didn't find many of the features to work incredibly well.  And no layering can be done.  By all accounts the DM10 original is the better module sound wise and feature wise.   What really urk'd me was that the DM10MK2 studio actually has better sounds and kits on it than the Pro version.  But the pro lets you tweak more.  But what good is that if you cant get anything as good as the studio without tweaks?  plus there is no compatibility at all between the mkII pro and studios.  Honestly I don't even know why either is called a dm10.  Neither can layer sounds.  Now you need to buy a strike to get that.   

and not only did I find the sounds lacking but also the pad response.  Many pops and missed triggers if you hit like the snare and bass drum at the same time.  With the strike its much simpler to use.  And it actually has less tweaking features than the DM10MK2 pro module does.  But its so intuitive and works to well that things just work and you don't need a degree to get the sound I'm after.  The quality of the strike in both build quality, sound and feel is completely worth the extra cost.  I honestly don't know what they were thinking with the DM10MK2 series

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 12:42:56 AM »
Major bummer.
I was a little nervous with the idea of getting the DM10 (any e-drum kit for that matter) to use in place of my acoustic kit. I know there's the whole hybrid thing, but I was at a point where I could either afford to get new cymbals and heads and some other tweaks OR go electronic - not both. I looked at a lot of stuff about the DM10 and thought it would serve me well. I could tell that going e-kit would also entail learning a new instrument - kinda. But the DM10X Mesh kit really made the switch easy for me.

Part of what really sold me was the module. The sounds aren't 'the Best' or anything, but it does come with some great ones - and then any decent PA can make them really thump!

I honestly don't know what they were thinking with the DM10MK2 series
Yeah... I have a feeling it was just an attempt to quell the dismay of them dropping the DM10 kits. Oh man... it's a bummer that they missed the mark that hard.

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 12:29:11 PM »
well, to be fair to alesis the strike probably should have been called the dm10mkII and what they are actually calling the mk2 should have been a dm10lite.   As the strike has the capabilities of the dm10.   What really bothered me was the whole hitting two pads and getting it sounding like the world was ending.  I probably would have been happy with the dm10 original.