Author Topic: Command Expansion  (Read 1643 times)

Command Expansion
« on: June 07, 2017, 06:34:39 AM »
Hi all!

I bought the Command kit and love it. I've already added an additional cymbal and tom so I'm maxed out on pads ... or actually that's my question. Is there a way to add another cymbal? I've done some reading on the subject but I'm just so new to e-drums that a lot of what I'm reading is not making sense. Is there a way to expand off of the module to add one more pad?
I've read a bit about Trigger/IO - but it appears to be discontinued. So maybe there is another "box" that would extend the inputs?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Daf

Re: Command Expansion
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 04:42:33 PM »
Okay - did some more reading, found bit about using Y-adapter and it worked! I split off of Tom 4 and used rim for the new cymbal. That's what I needed. :)

Thanks!
Daf

Offline DannyM

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 05:13:53 PM »
Hello Daf.
I too have the Command Kit, I really enjoy it as well. I had to to a lot of tweaking to cut out crosstalk and some dropped hits, but I think I am on track with the kit now as I made adjustments, dapened the rack, and laid padding under a floor rug, and some felt/rubber feet, so it is playing great at the moment.
Does the new cymbal you added have a choke on it? If so does it work split off the Y-adaptor?
I added a cymbal as well and the choke would only work with a TRS tip . Using a TS plug only allowed the strike of the cymbal, not the choke.
Let me know. when you get time.
I always like to see what others are doing but not too many folks have the Command kit it seems as I have only seen one or two post from Command owners.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 03:16:55 AM »
Hi Danny!

Your right - not a lot of Command posts out there - luckily it uses a module that is similar enough with the others to figure some stuff out.

My kit is playing fine with no tweaks so far. I haven't noticed any cross-talk or dropouts. What does dampening the rack do? Is there an article on that I could study?

The new cymbal does not have choke ability - I guess that makes sense since it's using only the ring part of the plug - I also lost the rim sound on the tom it's Y-ed to. But that's okay - it's a spash at this point and no choke needed. :)

Thanks

Offline DannyM

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 12:50:59 PM »
Hello Daf.
Dampening the rack is stuffing the insde of the chrome tubes with foam or cloth that helps absorb the vibrations. I had an issue where hitting the snare rim sometimes would trigger the Crash or Hi Hat,

My Kit is in the garage so the concerte floor under the original rug I had played a part in it. There are some good articles on dampening the rack, I will dig a few out on this site or other places from  folks and post the links. I am at work right now, but once I get home I will dig some out.
 There is a fellow on this site named HellFire that has a lot of great DIY sutff and he has something on it as well.

I also put my snare on a snare stand and used the chrome extension it sat on and clamp to attach the floor tom to the rear post to give the kit some weight at the back since it seemed front heavy and the flexibility to move the tom a bit. It feels very anchored and weigh balanced now.

I will post a photo of what I am talking about, sounds goofy, but it worked out well.

Holler at you later

Thanks,
Danny

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 11:00:14 AM »
I also moved the snare to a stand - the clamp just would'nt hold it where I wanted it - I guess I hit too hard. Stand fixed that right up. :)

Thanks for the info on the rack dampening!

Daf