Author Topic: Getting back to the grind after years of not playing  (Read 1518 times)

Getting back to the grind after years of not playing
« on: January 05, 2017, 08:57:43 AM »
I just wanted to swing by and say hello....I just purchased a Crimson Mesh kit to start practicing on after many years of not playing.  At the time I was playing, I still only played at the beginner / intermediate level and may have developed some bad habits no doubt, but I hope to do it right this time and focus on the right elements in the right order to help develop my skills and start jamming again with my old band again. 

I went with the Crimson kit basically because throughout the years of playing, my acoustic kits were Mapex Pro M's but then i purchased a dm10 studio e-kit to practice on in the basement and had zero issue with them right up until the DIY mesh head conversion.  It wasn't that anything was wrong, but i literally never played a single hour on the kit and they just sat there while life went on and after 3 years i sold them along with the Mapex, leaving me with nothing for the past few years. 

Feel free to give me any pointers on this Crimson kit...i'm sure i'll get a lot of information from this forum as I have in the past with the dm10's. 

8)

Offline Failed Muso

Re: Getting back to the grind after years of not playing
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 07:33:03 PM »
I recently picked up a Crimson Mesh kit and have had a lot of fun with it. I had originally intended to get a DM10 X Mesh but missed out just after they discontinued them. Luckily, I have a DM10 module that I'm bringing into the kit to trigger other pads from my old Yamaha DTXpress. I've also added an Alesis PercPad to the rack.

I am struggling to find anything wrong with the Crimson kit. The pads are great to play, the module is pretty straightforward, albeit lacking the deep editing power of the DM10 and the presets are pretty good, if not mind-blowing. I would've preferred the bigger pads and extra pads and cymbals of the DM10X, but I hope to either add to this or possibly upgrade to a Strike once they launch and settle in the market. However, having hooked the Crimson up to my laptop and Superior Drummer 2.0, it has taken it to new heights. I'm still learning how to make the most of SD, but so far, it's provided me with some great sounding drums. I've just upgraded my audio interface to a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (which goes well with the red pads!) and will be taking the whole rig out live in a couple of months, which is really exciting.

I also just picked up a couple of big, purpose-built padded bags to store everything in.

Welcome to the forum! :)
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2