Author Topic: 3-Zone Ride into Trigger I/O  (Read 2489 times)

Offline eratz

3-Zone Ride into Trigger I/O
« on: February 20, 2017, 01:21:20 AM »
Greetings All!

Was wondering if anybody plugged an Alesis 14" 3-zone ride into their Trigger I/O and what cables and settings (parameters, MIDI notes, switch type...) did you use?

Thanks!
DM10X, Trigger I/O, Billy Blast II Ballistech Heads, Dampened Rack, Custom Tennis Ball Isolation Riser, Simmons DA200S,  Scarlett 2i2, Roland BT-1, Pintech Dingbats x2, DW 3000 Double Pedal, Extra Alesis Ride, Additional Alesis Crash cymbals, Roc-n-Soc Drum Throne.

"Hit 'em hard and hit 'em often

Offline eratz

Re: 3-Zone Ride into Trigger I/O
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 06:40:23 PM »
Re-Bump this topic...Sorry... :-[
DM10X, Trigger I/O, Billy Blast II Ballistech Heads, Dampened Rack, Custom Tennis Ball Isolation Riser, Simmons DA200S,  Scarlett 2i2, Roland BT-1, Pintech Dingbats x2, DW 3000 Double Pedal, Extra Alesis Ride, Additional Alesis Crash cymbals, Roc-n-Soc Drum Throne.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 08:55:17 PM »
Greetings All!

Was wondering if anybody plugged an Alesis 14" 3-zone ride into their Trigger I/O and what cables and settings (parameters, MIDI notes, switch type...) did you use?

Thanks!

I don't think there is a way to get a 3 zone (piezo/switch/switch) ride cymbal to work with the Trigger I/O. The issue is, only one port on the I/O is capable of using a switch zone as a hittable zone (That is the ride input). All other switch modes on the Trigger I/O are only used for cymbal choking. The best you would be able to do is a two zone ride. I hope that helps.

Offline eratz

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 11:09:11 AM »
Greetings All!

Thanks!

I don't think there is a way to get a 3 zone (piezo/switch/switch) ride cymbal to work with the Trigger I/O. The issue is, only one port on the I/O is capable of using a switch zone as a hittable zone (That is the ride input). All other switch modes on the Trigger I/O are only used for cymbal choking. The best you would be able to do is a two zone ride. I hope that helps.

Thanks, Hellfire.

So this generates another question, or two...

Can I use the 3-zone ride as a 2-zone ride?  I'm totally OK with not using the choke feature.  However, do I need to get a plug-in resistor (like the ones on the crash cymbals) and do I need TPS cable (or two)  to still be able to make the bell and bow sounds?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Iggford

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 01:35:53 PM »
Thanks, Hellfire.

So this generates another question, or two...

Can I use the 3-zone ride as a 2-zone ride?  I'm totally OK with not using the choke feature.  However, do I need to get a plug-in resistor (like the ones on the crash cymbals) and do I need TPS cable (or two)  to still be able to make the bell and bow sounds?

Thanks in advance!

You can "trick" the ride a bit by inserting a cable into the unused output on the pad itself.  I can't remember off the top of my head which one, but one will allow it to work, triggering both bell and bow, and one won't allow it to work much at all.  I did this to free up my Ride2 input when I expanded my kit a bit.

One thing I did try last week was using a headphone adapter (small to large) in the unused output.  We were discussing band matters and finishing up some vocal track recordings, so I didn't get to fully test it, but just messing around a bit, I think that worked also, so it eliminates the extra cable just hanging from the ride.  I'll test it out some more tomorrow night at practice to see if it truly does work.

--Shawn.