Author Topic: Monitors and speakers for your DM10?  (Read 1567 times)

Monitors and speakers for your DM10?
« on: April 15, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »
Just curious what everyone is using for monitors or speakers for their DM10 kits or ekits in general.  I have a guitar amp I can use for now and headphones of course.  I might see what the pawn shop has in stock.  Would much rather buy a dedicated drum kit monitor though if possible.  My budget isn't too high right now given the $1000 I just spent on the kit and accessories!

Re: Monitors and speakers for your DM10?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 09:09:52 AM »
No need to reply to this actually.  I did a search and there are lot's of threads on this subject!  Sorry!  Lol!   :P

Online AlanK

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 10:45:42 AM »
I'm not sure if I'd bought my new speakers when those threads were discussed (I had been using a 15" Mackie Thump for a while but it was so huge and overkill). I found these Samson Expedition Escape mini PA speakers (http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/portable-pa/expedition-rechargable/expeditionescape/) and they went on sale for about 90 bucks at a store near me so I bought one to test them out. I think they're 10 or 15 watts.. not huge or super loud but I went back and got a second one so I'd have a pair and together they're pretty fine.. I used them to jam with 3 guitarists and I kept up to their volumes.

They're got 1/4" instrument cable inputs, I run them out of my little mixer or could also go out from my audio interface.. they're rechargeable so you don't always need to use extra plugs and they've lasted a long time on a charge.. also they've got bluetooth connection so if you feel like using them for parties or outside on the weekend it's clean and easy so lots of uses made them a great choice for me. Also, for another 65 bucks (I think that's what they went on sale for) I got a pair of speaker stands for them.. they're mini's to match the size/weight.. also don't take up too much room.. I really love this whole setup and how they look. At home I've got them on the stands in the corners behind me but when I jammed I stuck them on the floor under the drums, on the angled side (because of the angles you could also use them as vocal monitors if you wanted). Lots of uses and in the end if was about 300 after tax for a pair of speakers and stands. That's less than I paid for one single PA speaker on its own.

I'll add a pic.. they're not beasts, but affordable and especially for just playing at home, likely as loud as you'd ever need..even jamming.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 11:48:03 AM »
Thanks!!

:)

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 11:52:47 AM »
Looking at those, it appears that I could make my own monitors or guitar amps basically.  I make them for cigar box guitars already and the one I am currently using sounds pretty good.  I could just make two matching ones.  I like the wood look!  Lol!! But I might just buy those.  Not sure yet. 

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 11:12:26 PM »
Hi there
I like your description of the Samson speakers - right up my alley.   Just wondering where you got them from.  I'd like to get a pair.

m

Online AlanK

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 09:21:06 AM »
Hi Mische, I bought mine at Computer Canada, they were on sale.. but I see them listed at some of our music stores too.. you may also find them at Best Buy perhaps
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 12:22:59 PM »
Thanks Al.  I'll go check those places out.

m

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 02:50:32 PM »
I'm pretty happy with my Simmons DA200S Amp.