Author Topic: Extend my DM10 with a DM8 Pro  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Sharkuel

Extend my DM10 with a DM8 Pro
« on: October 03, 2011, 04:22:37 PM »
So here is the thing: Since the DM8 Pro came out, i got myself wondering: "Hmm... How about buying that little toy, and fusing it with the studio kit?!"

And that is were it came to me: "OH! I will have 2 HUGE 12' Pads, 2 10' Pads for toms, and the other four 8' pads for rototoms, or any other type of percursion element. 2 seperate bass drums were i can have fun with diferent confirurations, and of course, 2 hi hats and 2 triple zone rides."

So in my tiny humble mind i see this as a great investement that will come cheap, give me the possibility of both using bluejay and stock kits at the same time, and have a BADASS kit. xD

And isn't the DM8 a great extension to the all migthy DM10?! I think it is perfect. =) the only thing that is making me a little, little curious is how do i somehow link them together... Aux In-Out cables?! Midi cables?! Hmm...

And this is the part were all you people can give me some advice, or say that i am crazy, or something like that xD I dont care, i just want honesty from the pros... ;)
Megadrum 32 inputs with positional sensing add-on.

Cone centered DIY triggers in snare and toms.

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

"Life is short, death is near, but one's word lives forever

Offline vaikl

Re: Extend my DM10 with a DM8 Pro
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 05:03:37 PM »
DM10 via MIDI out -> DM8

would be the best solution if you want sounds only from one module.

DM8 and DM10 -> little, cheap mixer on different channels

would be the best solution for playing two modules. You could better balance the outputs of them for panning, because the aux ins on the modules have no mixing features.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 05:06:15 PM by vaikl »

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 05:18:10 PM »
Thanks for the info Vaikl :)

Yes i think you are right. But i wonder how it will react with vst softwares... Yeah the Sounds on the modules are great and all, but if i get the urge for more?!

Like a DM10 via midi out -> DM8 -> PC?!

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

Offline vaikl

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 06:38:17 PM »

Yes i think you are right. But i wonder how it will react with vst softwares... Yeah the Sounds on the modules are great and all, but if i get the urge for more?!

MIDI was invented for daisy chaining ;)

So you can use your above outlined chain if you set the "MIDI Thru" parameter on the DM10 to "OFF" and on the DM8 to "ENABLED" to let the DM10 MIDI data through over the DM8 USB connection onto your PC.

You could then make weird setups in your DAW by assigning different MIDI channels to different DM instruments for different VSTi's or assigning the same MIDI notes to different pads or one pad to different VSTi's on the same MIDI channel or or or... ;D (but keep in mind that the MIDI notes for Hihat and Ride are the same and hard fixed in both modules).

Up to three daisy-chained MIDI devices should not have any latency in the whole chain.

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 03:28:17 AM »

MIDI was invented for daisy chaining ;)

So you can use your above outlined chain if you set the "MIDI Thru" parameter on the DM10 to "OFF" and on the DM8 to "ENABLED" to let the DM10 MIDI data through over the DM8 USB connection onto your PC.

You could then make weird setups in your DAW by assigning different MIDI channels to different DM instruments for different VSTi's or assigning the same MIDI notes to different pads or one pad to different VSTi's on the same MIDI channel or or or... ;D (but keep in mind that the MIDI notes for Hihat and Ride are the same and hard fixed in both modules).

Up to three daisy-chained MIDI devices should not have any latency in the whole chain.

Oh my god, the possibilities... ::)

It's decided then! I was saving to buy first a Epiphony Wildkat, but now i think the DM8 will come first... Then i will have the Alesis DM18 Pro Studio Kit (sounds badass just by the name) xD

And then buy 2 gigbags for transportation... x)

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals