Author Topic: Alesis X guitar  (Read 4602 times)

Offline Sharkuel

Alesis X guitar
« on: July 28, 2011, 08:21:56 PM »
Just recently i found out that Alesis had one of the most original and coolest products of all times: The Alesis X guitar.

I know that this is essencialy a drum forum, but i had to express my sadness due to the production of this particular and unique concept of a guitar was discontinued. Such a great idea, a pratical guitar were you can play everywere and with a lot of cool efects! :S At a cheap price...

I play guitar also, and something like this is extremelly practical to the average musician, it's features are quite unique on a guitar, it is the concept of the modern e-guitar, and shows to the world how great is the label Alesis. It stands for Inovation, Accessibility and Practicalitty, at least is my point og view.

I think in my inocent opinion that it is a waiste Alesis abandoning this great concept. The guitar was great, a stratocaster model, it is hard for me to understand why they have stopped the production... :S

I am at this moment feeling like a cheated housewife.

80 programs, 9 effects modules and 8 different signal routes
Built-in headphone out
28-bit effects- Delays, amp, and cabinet models, chorus, transposition
EQ, Noise reduction, flanger, reverb rotary speaker
Built-in digital tuner
One humbucker and two stacked single-coil pickups, plus a five-position pickup selector switch
Master volume and two tone controls
30 hours of operation (on 4 AA alkaline batteries)
Input for expression pedal

Megadrum 32 inputs with positional sensing add-on.

Cone centered DIY triggers in snare and toms.

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

"Life is short, death is near, but one's word lives forever

Offline drumday

Re: Alesis X guitar
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
Man is that cool looking!  Am guessing it was either ahead of its time or it stretched Alesis a bit too thin.  Too bad.
DM10 Studio 2011, BBII mesh conversion w/ resistors left in place, Simmons DA200S, ProMark 7A nylon, Sennheiser HD280 headphones, Gibraltar rack, Camco double pedal.

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 02:16:49 PM »
I think that we should create a movement "Bring Back the X Guitar". I really want one, and i bet my **** that many many more share the same feelling as me!

What would you say? =)

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

Offline drumday

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 04:08:50 PM »
Maybe they're sitting in overstock, unsold, and Alesis can do a "Members only" deal.

$149 at GC, used.

There are some decent youtube vids I watched over lunch.  Sounded good and looked like a quality instrument.  No surprise there...

DM10 Studio 2011, BBII mesh conversion w/ resistors left in place, Simmons DA200S, ProMark 7A nylon, Sennheiser HD280 headphones, Gibraltar rack, Camco double pedal.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 08:25:13 PM »
Line 6 had something similar a while back if memory serves me right. And dollar for dollar they can't be beat for guitar amp and effects modeling.

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 04:10:03 AM »
Yeah but nevetheless, for some home composing and gigging in small spaces is the best. Oh ant this can be used like a conventional guitar, connect it to a amp, for greater gigs.

Alesis c'mon! x( send me one!

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 06:51:46 PM »
My guess is that,  much like the "fretlight" guitars,  it was a bunch of fancy electronics inside a guitar that was a piece of junk.  You're better off getting a $99 guitar from Rondo,  and a cheap FX unit for $50.

Offline drumday

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 07:31:25 PM »
Why guess?

http://www.futuremusic.com/news/testdrive/xguitar.html

http://www.zzounds.com/productreview--ALEXGUITAR

Based on these reviews, if they can be found for $149, that sounds better than a Rondo+$50 stomp box.

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 04:09:29 AM »
Here in Portugal there is only one dude selling a Alesis X Guitar... At the cost of 400€!!! :o

he is just selling a used instrument at a cost of two new X Guitars!!! :x

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

Offline drumday

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 11:17:52 AM »
Guess it's a collector's item!

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 11:25:30 PM »
Got my DMPhones today from B&H Photo.  After a quick test, here's my take on them.  For the most part, I will compare them to my old Vic Firth Isolation Headphones, which have bitten the dust.

Comfort: Definitely better than the Vic Firth (VF) set, which were pretty darn heavy and made your ears hot after a while.  These are lightweight but feel pretty good.  If you have big ear lobes, it could be a problem.

Sound isolation:  Pretty good.  Not quite as good as the VF but certainly better than most.  Couldn't noticeably hear any acoustic noise from the cymbals.  Since my VF phones broke, I have been using a pair of Philips in-ear buds that have done a pretty good job at isolation.  The DMPhones are certainly comparable.

Sound Quality:  This is where they lose out a bit.  While my old VF set was great at sound isolation, the sound was overall pretty poor, very little high frequency and almost no low frequency.  The DMPhones certainly have better low end than the VF phones but the high end (cymbals) aren't quite there.  I am getting better fidelity from the Philips ear buds right now.

Overall: For $29, they are worth a try.  I'll probably go between the ear buds and DMPhones for a while before I settle on one or the other.  That's my two cents.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 12:54:01 AM »
Interesting.  While I run my guitar through a older Line6 amp, this guitar intrigues me.  I wonder how the action is?

anyways... good post.

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 06:35:43 AM »
I only read good reviews from this guitar. I really like this instrument. Drooled badly while i watched vids on youtube.

The effects on it are the cherry in the top. This little guitar is a hell of a "electronic modern battle axe". Oh imagine the funny stuff you can make with Guitar Rig... +_+

Ideas, ideas, but no available tools... Life of a poor artist sucks.

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals