Author Topic: DM10 ride problem...  (Read 6103 times)

Offline Trondster

Re: DM10 ride problem...
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2015, 05:34:17 AM »
Nairolf - you'd get much better results if you follow the instructions you've been given and tweak the settings yourself, as you've been told numerous times already. But - I guess I'm talking to deaf ears here.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2015, 04:42:22 AM »
Hi trondster, It's now 3 weeks that I follow instructions and tweak the setting  on my first ride cymbal and on my second one (and reset my module and change imput, etc). I probabbly don't do it too much ( perhaps I need to do it 4, 5 or 10 weeks  to find a solution) but, just to win time and just for test I want to test settings of one where the ride and bell is working well. I think it's not a crazy idea but visibly yes. So, for this I just ask time and time settings but actually, nobody want to share it.
But you've right, I'm probably have death ears and need to find the solution by myself... :( It's just not what I think forum is (ask setting and the help is find by yourself the setting... not very usefull).
You know I'm also guitar player (btw in first I'm a guitar player  :D ) and every day I give and received settings of other guitar player on our multieffect or amp settings. Perhaps guitarist and drummer and not the same world and what is working with one is not working for the other.
Very sorry to distub you Trondster...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 08:52:56 AM by Nairolf »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2015, 11:25:34 PM »
Hey Nairolf/Florian, I realize you'd like to fine tune the ride trigger settings before proceeding further, but if they aren't a magic solution for your problem, maybe you could try what we've already suggested.
I was just trying to prepare you for the reality that many of the DM10 cymbals are set up poorly and aren't adjustable enough.
They remind me of a wise old saying: "You can’t polish a turd ... but you can try rolling it in glitter!"
Btw, a quick search here will reveal that Trondster contributes more than his fair share of useful advice to those seeking it!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 11:29:45 PM by rhysT »

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2015, 04:15:16 AM »
Hi,

I'm sur that Trondster is a great contributor in this Forum and he  try helping me wih my ride problem. Thanks to him!
Every day I use half an hour to try setting this ride. Sometime is better sometime is worth. Never perfect...
What i'm surprise is the difficulty to find a user sharing his setting.
If you read this thread I ask this question each time I wrote a message. A lot of user try to help me with suggestion(and I thanks them a lot) but none reply to my unique question... Sharing the settings of the ride and bell.
I've put mine and he take me less than 2 minutes.
BTW Trondster try to help me many times and take care of my problem. I really thanks to him...
Another information (new) I never use the sound of DM10. I don't like them. I use Addictive drummer 2. My problem is not the sound of the bell. When is working I'm ok with it. The problem is 1 time on 5 (now - before it was3 times of 4) when I use the bell I've got the ride sound (I see the the bell captor not working)
Now I just hope and wait about AlanK...

And I thanks every one who looking this theard and try to help me by giving suggestions. :)

Very best
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 08:54:48 AM by Nairolf »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2015, 05:23:22 AM »
Another information (new) I never use the sound of DM10. I don't like them. I use Addictive drummer 2. My problem is not the sound of the bell. When is working I'm ok with it. The problem is 1 time on 5 (now - before it was3 times of 4) when I use the bell I've got the ride sound (I see the the bell captor not working)

OK, it would've helped to include relevant info like using Addictive Drums 2 in your first post, as we aren't mind readers.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 05:56:55 AM by rhysT »

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2015, 07:58:20 AM »
Yes you've right but my problem is not about the sound but about the trigger and the trigger and midi is manage by dm10 module... It's why I don't add this information in my first post.
So when the bell is not working I see this on the DM10 because I don"t see level cursor increasing. So I don't have sound in AD2 but if I use DM10 for sound I will don't have it too.

Online AlanK

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2015, 12:28:09 PM »
Ok, friend, it took me being home with a cold to go down to the module with my laptop lol

Here are my settings:

RideBow:
INP
Sensitivity: 40 Function: Trigger

TRIG
Xtalk Rcv: 04  Xtalk Snd: 04  ReTrigger: 10  Threshold: 20

CURV: Log3  MODE: 3 Zones

RideBell:

INP
Sensitivity: 95 (yes, it's kinda high)
Function: Trigger
InputType: Switch

TRIG
Xtalk Rcv: 06
Xtalk Snd: 04
ZoneXtalk: 06

(I usually have my xtalk settings around 03 or 04.. I think I was trying to keep the bell and bow from setting eachother off? I forgot why I put the recv and zone up to 6 but it seems to be working for me)

CURV: Log3  MODE: 3 Zones

Now, I also use AD2 all the time with my set, and the midi mappings are linked to what drum kit setup you're using on the module when you link to AD (I mean, I've set all my trigs to map to AD2, and if I switch my set on the module from the startup 00 kit to say kit 03 or kit 56 or whatever, it may affect Addictive because in some of my riggings I've tried adding cymbals or extra pads and I configured them on some of the kits on the module.. sometimes I had an extra drum split off of Pec4 for example, or a crash split off the first tom's rim.. when I have my module on kit 56 and play with addictive drums, suddenly if I hit the tom rim I get something other than what I was expecting because the default note settings in AD2 for the DM10X assume you're using the rim as a rim.. know what I mean?)

Anyhow, I just mean, I've made sure my default module startup kit is the one that I've got matching exactly how I want Addictive midi mapping to understand. Once in a while I've messed with the trigger settings on the module, like xtalk or sensitivity, and then in Addictive suddenly my sounds are messing up.. if you don't have the underlying source set up properly (ie. the module or samplepad and so on, depending on what device you've got triggering sounds in AD2), then Addictive won't give you the sounds you want.

Another thing, it's a known fact that the Alesis ride bell is very very tricky to get to work. There are so many postings about people saying they hardly get a bell sound, and only if you hit it hard, and in the right spot. Many times a hit won't register or you'll get the bow instead. So I've had some luck by cranking up the bell sensitivity and volume.. but I also find Addictive Drums seems to give me better results with the ride as well as the hi-hat, which is partly why I love it so much. One thing I don't like is the ride bow seems to be so quiet most of the time. I'm playing with those settings too but if I go too sensitive or loud, then I'm always getting super loud ride crashing esp if I hit towards the edge. Taking some time to finesse, as I like some jazzy style playing and I'm always looking for a nice light ting on the ride but want to be able to hear it over top of the actual mechanical sound you hear from hitting the rubber over plastic, which is one of my beefs.. even when jamming with my buddies at high volume, I can still kinda hear that plastic ping tapping off the ride almost as much as the musical ting coming through the speaker.

Finally, here's my default ride settings form my Kit000:

INST: Instrument: Large (Category Ride, of course)
LVL: Level: 70  Pan: R20  Decay: 95
FX: Reverb: 15  Effects: 20  EQ/Comp: ON
TONE: Semitone: 0  Fine Tune: 00  Filter: 50  Type: hipass
DYN: VelDecay: 00  VelFiltr: 00 VelLevel: 60  VelPitch: 00 (I don't think i've touched these settings)
OTHER: Output: main  Priority: Medium  Mutegroup: off  Playback: poly

I do have a layer B setting as well, using an H HvyStk 21" as the instrument, with pretty much the same settings.

So maybe it's also the instrument settings you've got to look at and not just the trigger settings that get passed over to AD2

By the way, I forget if you've tried swapping out the cables. Not just swapping the two on the ride itself, but have you taken one or two from other cymbals or pads that work perfectly and put them on the ride.. maybe there's a problem with the insertion of one or both of the ride cables.. if they don't snap in perfectly I imagine you'd lose some signal and maybe as you're banging away on the bell or whatever it's loosening and dropping the signal?

Hope this helps a bit my friend.

DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2015, 01:46:41 PM »
I've just see your reply and thaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnk you very much!!!
I will test them this evening.
You're very kind to take time to copy your settings and give so many information.
Thank you, thank you, thank you
As I say previously... You're my heroe! :D :D :D
I be back as soon as possible to tell you the result.

PS: I'm very happy...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 02:55:34 PM by Nairolf »

Offline Trondster

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2015, 02:10:39 PM »
When tweaking the trigger settings, do not use a VST like Superior Drummer. Use the module only by itself - and when you have gotten the triggering working well on the module as it is, only then start using the VST. It is much, much easier to dial in the trigger settings by using the module on its own.

As for my own settings, I have a very different cymbal - a Surge cymbal which is piezo/piezo, unlike your piezo/switch.
My settings are currently:
Head: Sensitivity 34, Retrigger 50, Threshold 30, Curve Log4, Mode 3 zones.
Bell: Sensitivity 37, Mode Piezo (you need Switch), Zone Xtalk 7, Curve Log4

My Xtalk send/receive for the ride are all at 0, since I used to have the ride on a separate stand. Now I have the ride back on the rack, due to space constraints, and I haven't dialed the xtalk send/receive back to proper settings for a rack yet.

The reason we want you to try it out on your own is that there is a very high product variance for Alesis products (manufactured by Medeli) - two different production runs may require different settings.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2015, 03:35:32 AM »
Thanks to you, AlanK, my ride is quite perfect. 9 hits on 10 working well... now I can Use it
Really thanks to share your settings!!!
It's working well with the DM10 module and very well with AD2 (btw it's a great product!)
Also thanks to you Tronster to give me your settings and all your help but like it's not exactly the same cymbal (Surge are quite different than DMpad) it's not working as Alank settings!!!
Thank you AlanK! Thanks to accept to share your settings and thanks for doing it so quickly. You're great!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 03:57:00 AM by Nairolf »

Offline Trondster

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2015, 04:56:34 AM »
Try lowering the bell sensitivity a bit, too - 95-99 may be a bit high. :)

Offline rhysT

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2015, 07:29:37 AM »
Well done guys and worthy of a garden statue!  ;)

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2015, 09:35:28 AM »
...worthy of a garden statue!  ;)

I'll work on it this week end... A photo of Alank nude (because I think a greek statue is better!!!) will help me to do this job ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 06:27:42 AM by Nairolf »

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2015, 10:24:39 AM »
Try lowering the bell sensitivity a bit, too - 95-99 may be a bit high. :)
I'll try it this evening... thanks
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:31:56 AM by Nairolf »

Online AlanK

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2015, 10:30:48 AM »
...worthy of a garden statue!  ;)

I'll work on it this week end... A photo a Alank nude (because I think a greek statue is better!!!) will help me to do this job ;D ;D ;D
Well I wouldn't go that far.. you guys DON'T wanna nude statue of me..hahahahaha but Nairoff, glad you've got better performance out of it  :-)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2015, 10:33:29 AM »
...glad you've got better performance out of it  :-)
Thanks to YOU!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:34:58 AM by Nairolf »

Offline JohnRick

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2017, 07:23:30 AM »
Old thread, but I find this sensitivity setting of the bell trigger interesting.

AFAIK the BELL is only ON/OFF on DM10X by design and inherent architecture -  thus playing with the sensitivity for the bell alone would not work?
Your hit is always registered by the surface, and the sensitivity parameter only determines the velocity output from the module in relation to the force of which you're hitting the pad - i.e. not how "sensitive" it is. Only discussing the bell issue here.