Author Topic: DM10 Polyphony issue  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Dobly

DM10 Polyphony issue
« on: August 16, 2017, 07:03:28 PM »
I must be missing something here...

If i play the snare head at the same time I play Tom 1 head, they both trigger as expected.

If i then play the snare RIM and Tom 1, only one of them will sound. This issue seems intermittent depending on how exactly i play both. If i am just a fraction out then both sound. But if I am exactly in unison one will not trigger. In this case usually Tom 1 stops.

I get the same issue with Snare Head and Snare Rim. If i play them both only one sounds.

What's the go here. The DM10 is suppose to 64 note polyphonic no?

Offline Dobly

Re: DM10 Polyphony issue
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 04:17:35 AM »
Could someone out there with a DM10 please run this test.

1. Play Tom 1
2. Play just the rim of the snare drum
3. Now play them both at exactly the same time.

Can you still hear both?

Offline Dobly

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 06:22:54 AM »
Interestingly the Sample Rack does not have this issue. Phew. That's good as I am relying on that for my multipad setup.

Still, why does the DM10 do this? Can I change this behavior?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 06:30:40 AM by Dobly »

Offline Pier

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 03:14:23 PM »

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 06:58:52 AM »
I tried what you asked and everything was fine (both triggered at the same time).

I used a crash cymbal for the rim of the snare so it was easy to hear if it triggered.

Steve

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 03:33:57 AM »
Did you find out what the issue was?

Offline Dobly

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 05:50:46 AM »
Have not tried yet to fix it. Been using my spare time to finish that multipad project of mine. I'll have a look this weekend. Thanks for asking. I'll report back as soon as i work it out.

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 09:41:50 AM »
Let me know if you want me to try anything else  :)

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 07:59:07 AM »
What's the go here. The DM10 is suppose to 64 note polyphonic no?

Yes, but your issue has nothing to do with the polyphonic limit. It is a Xtalk issue.

I get the same issue with Snare Head and Snare Rim. If i play them both only one sounds.

In the DM10 there is a special Xtalk parameter for dual zone inputs called "Zone talk". "Zone talk" is a setting that allow the user to restrict adjacent zones (i.e. Snare Rim and Snare Head) from triggering at the same time. If you want the adjacent zones to be able to trigger at the same time, you need to set zone talk to "0". Once you do that, you should be able to play both zones at the same time.

If i then play the snare RIM and Tom 1, only one of them will sound. This issue seems intermittent depending on how exactly i play both. If i am just a fraction out then both sound. But if I am exactly in unison one will not trigger. In this case usually Tom 1 stops.

This issue I think is just a regular Xtalk issue (meaning some Xtalk parameter is set too high), but to be honest I don't think I've ever played the snare rim and Tom 1 head at the same time. I have played the Tom 1 rim and snare head at the same and never had this issue. I normally have a cow bell set to Tom rim 1, so hitting Tom rim 1 and the snare head at the same time happens a lot.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 01:35:36 AM »

This issue I think is just a regular Xtalk issue (meaning some Xtalk parameter is set too high), but to be honest I don't think I've ever played the snare rim and Tom 1 head at the same time. I have played the Tom 1 rim and snare head at the same and never had this issue. I normally have a cow bell set to Tom rim 1, so hitting Tom rim 1 and the snare head at the same time happens a lot.

Imagine playing this song, cracking the snare rim and thundering on the floor tom and one does not sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whQQpwwvSh4

I don't want the snare head and rim to sound at the same time. I want Tom heads (and tom rims) to work with the Snare and it's rim.

I've not had the kit set up for a few while (working on DIY  :D) but I just set it up this afternoon. I see what I can work out with Xtalk settings.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 09:51:57 AM »

Imagine playing this song, cracking the snare rim and thundering on the floor tom and one does not sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whQQpwwvSh4

I don't want the snare head and rim to sound at the same time. I want Tom heads (and tom rims) to work with the Snare and it's rim.

I've not had the kit set up for a few while (working on DIY  :D) but I just set it up this afternoon. I see what I can work out with Xtalk settings.

That I have done (using the floor tom with a snare shot). I thought your issue was specific to Tom #1 rim. Either way, this is just an Xtalk settings issue. You should be able to fire off both the tom heads and snare rim at the same time. I believe someone already linked you to that Xtalk set up post I did some time back. That should help a lot.

I'm surprised you don't want the snare head and rim to sound at the same time. A real "snare shot" which is the cracking you are talking about is achieved on an acoustic snare drum by hitting the rim and head at the same time. If you are playing a typical "snare shot" it will not trigger properly unless you either A) set zone talk to zero, or B) play just the rim, which is how I'm guessing you are playing your snare shots?

I first learned to play on an acoustic drum set, so I still use the same technique to make a snare shot on my Edrums that I did on my Adrums.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 07:41:50 PM »

I'm surprised you don't want the snare head and rim to sound at the same time. A real "snare shot" which is the cracking you are talking about is achieved on an acoustic snare drum by hitting the rim and head at the same time. If you are playing a typical "snare shot" it will not trigger properly unless you either A) set zone talk to zero, or B) play just the rim, which is how I'm guessing you are playing your snare shots?

Yes, I do want the snare head and rim.. Not sure why I said I didn't. I type too fast for my own good. Currently the snare head and rim do NOT trigger together. I'm going into that link above.