Author Topic: DM10 Kit Upgrade  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Iggford

DM10 Kit Upgrade
« on: July 17, 2017, 03:49:25 PM »
Ok, so I hope I've placed this in the right area.  I am looking to make yet another upgrade to my DM10 kit after the first of next year.  I'm not sure exactly what I want to do yet, though.  My first idea was to purchase a DM10 X kit, as I've been really happy with my kit so far.  This would give me a practice kit and a gigging kit.

So now, I've been thinking, I have a Roland TD-6 kit at home that works perfectly as a practice kit.  Instead of spending $1,000 or more on basically what I'm playing now, I've been looking at a module upgrade for the gigging kit instead.  This would allow me to move my DM10 module to the Roland practice kit.  I've been looking at the Roland TD-30 as an option.

Now, I know that my Roland pads work fine with my DM10 module, as I've used them to build kits at home without having to transport my entire kit from our practice space.  My question is, does anyone know if the Alesis mesh pads and cymbals will work with a Roland TD-30?  I know a lot of retailers offer a money-back guarantee on equipment, but I've been looking at some used ideas also, and if I go that route, I'm pretty much stuck with what I get.

This may be more of a question for the VDrums forum, but I'm a happy member here and use my Alesis equipment more frequently, so I thought I would start with you guys.

Thanks for any input!

Offline rhysT

Re: DM10 Kit Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 07:55:44 PM »
So now, I've been thinking, I have a Roland TD-6 kit at home that works perfectly as a practice kit.  Instead of spending $1,000 or more on basically what I'm playing now, I've been looking at a module upgrade for the gigging kit instead.  This would allow me to move my DM10 module to the Roland practice kit.  I've been looking at the Roland TD-30 as an option.

Now, I know that my Roland pads work fine with my DM10 module, as I've used them to build kits at home without having to transport my entire kit from our practice space.  My question is, does anyone know if the Alesis mesh pads and cymbals will work with a Roland TD-30?  I know a lot of retailers offer a money-back guarantee on equipment, but I've been looking at some used ideas also, and if I go that route, I'm pretty much stuck with what I get.

Check out this V-drums Wikipedia article that provides a comparison table of Roland drum module inputs including the TD-6 and TD-30: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_V-Drums

Also this DM10 compatibility guide showing Roland pads/cymbals/pedals may be useful for adapting Alesis hardware to a TD-30 module: http://5a18fcdc5c8aa2617926-54d68a14e2e7c1f76563a2d8c3e9fd82.r82.cf2.rackcdn.com/917/documents/dm10_module___trigger_compatibility_guide.pdf

Btw, this info is also relevant for combining Alesis gear with a Mimic Pro module which should be compatible with most Roland hardware.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:27:22 PM by rhysT »

Offline Iggford

Re: DM10 Kit Upgrade
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 11:56:42 AM »
Thanks so much for the links.  I'll go through them and see what I can learn.

I honestly had forgotten about the Mimic Pro.  That would also be a great option from what I've been able to read.  I'm looking to make my upgrade around February or March of next year, so maybe I can catch a good deal on one.  I see it is at pretty much the same price point as a new TD-30, so that makes me optimistic.  I remember doing some drooling over this one when I first saw it.

Thanks again, you've been a tremendous help, as I may end up going a totally different route.