Author Topic: Strike Pro Sample Issues and Fixes  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Jermdog

Strike Pro Sample Issues and Fixes
« on: May 03, 2017, 05:21:03 AM »
Has anyone tried to use their own samples by loading them on the included or new SD card?  If you had issues like I did, this is how you fix it (not sure about MAC, only sure about PC)

Always make sure the module is off before inserting/removing the SD card
1. Back up your samples on a PC HDD
2. Reformat your SD card using a PC
3. Put the SD card in the Strike Module and turn on the module
4. With the first kit selected, save the kit
5. Turn off the module and remove the card
6. Back at your PC, copy your samples into the Loops folder on the SD card
7. Put the SD card back in the module and turn it on
8. Select a kit and go to samples
9. For each sample, you have to save the sample as an instrument
10. Select save, save as instrument, save again - the first save is the actual Save button, the others saves are with the function buttons - just look at the screen and you'll see what I mean.

I know this sounds like a lot, but I successfully loaded about 100 samples in 20 minutes or so.  The Alesis rep I spoke to yesterday helped me figure out how to do this.  And, of course, this is not how it should have to be done.  This is another bug with the firmware, the latest firmware v1.1.

I was also told the the editor software should be out very soon.  Once the editor is released, you will not have to take these steps.  You'll be able to build your kits with samples directly.  Being in IT professionally for 20 years, I don't have much faith given Alesis' track record.  I'm sure the editor will be buggy as hell.  Let's hope we all get surprised.
Strike Pro, Dm10, Zildjian Gen 16 hats, xhats and garbage cymbals, Kit Toys chinas, crash and splashes, jam dock, mixer, custom 13" tom, alesis, drum workshop and various hardware.

Offline Jermdog

Re: Strike Pro Sample Issues and Fixes
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 01:07:08 PM »
More information on Samples - using the Strike Pro Module to record samples

Yesterday, I used the Strike Pro module to record several samples.  Here is what I found:

The good:
When you record your own samples and save them as an instrument, they are immediately available to use on your kit.  You don't have to do anything special.

The bad:
The same name comes up every single time when you save a new sample - New Loop 0000.  This sucks if you want to add several toms or cymbals and just change the dimensions (8x8, 8x10 or Crash 16, Crash 18, Crash 20 etc).

The wave editor is rudimentary at best, even with the zoom function.  I would suggest editing any samples using a proven wave editor.  When you edit a wave sample, you cannot see all of the sustain you may have on the sample.  So when you trim it, you'll end up cutting off the sustain because it looks like there is no more output.  Also, there is not enough exacting detail to place the start and end points where you would get the actual start/end of the hits.  It works, but you have to be precise in your timing of hitting record, striking the pad and stopping the recording.

Very careful level matching is required between your output device and the module.  There is a volume control for the output device and an aux in.  The manual states to raise the volume on your output device to it's maximum and use the aux in volume control for the level matching.  I tried this a ton of different ways, including using a mixer (it's level matched), another module (DM10 for testing), an iphone 6s, a CD player output (level matched)... it doesn't matter.  I recorded at volumes around -6db, -3db and 0db on the display.  Every single time I got hiss on the playback.

Hopefully Alesis can address this with either the Kit Editor or with a firmware update.

Strike Pro, Dm10, Zildjian Gen 16 hats, xhats and garbage cymbals, Kit Toys chinas, crash and splashes, jam dock, mixer, custom 13" tom, alesis, drum workshop and various hardware.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 08:46:58 AM »
More information on Samples - using the Strike Pro Module to record samples

The wave editor is rudimentary at best, even with the zoom function.  I would suggest editing any samples using a proven wave editor. 

I was also frustrated with some basic limitations in the Akai MPX-16 sample editor compared to using a PC wav file editor like Audacity (http://old.audacityteam.org/about/features).
I'm wondering if a Strike multi-layer preset kit (saved with some parameter changes) loads any slower from the SD card than the same preset kit from internal memory.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 09:06:03 AM by rhysT »

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 09:41:20 PM »
I don't mean to cross-post, but I'm working on parsing the file formats.  I don't care to wait for an editor that will likely be buggy as hell.

Code @ https://github.com/mmdurrant/strikeparse

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 07:39:50 PM »
I'm wondering if a Strike multi-layer preset kit (saved with some parameter changes) loads any slower from the SD card than the same preset kit from internal memory.

They _should_ load at approximately the same speed. They use SD for the internal storage as well.

Offline prentir

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 02:30:48 PM »
I notice the 8GB SD card that  came with it has only an 40MB/sec transfer rate.  Has anyone worked with faster SD cards to see if things load faster. I bought 64GB with a 90mb/sec transfer rate but I am not yet to point of trying it out.
Alesis Strike Pro, DW 9000 double kick, DW 9399 Heavy Duty Snare Stand, DW 9500 Heavy Duty 2-leg Hi-Hat Stand plus 2 x DW9700 Cymbal stands and a DW 9000 Low boom Ride Cymbal Stand for expansion. Researching Jobeky 18" Crash & 20" Ride.

Offline Jermdog

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 07:49:20 PM »
I'm using a class 10 32gb SD card in my module at the moment. I have 5 custom kits saved on the card. Some of these kits are multi-layer. My kits load take between 5-10 seconds to load at the most.

Offline prentir

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 08:07:20 PM »
Thanks Jermdog, the one I bought was a Class V90.  If I run into issues I will get another and use the 8 that comes with it in the interim.

Update. I just read in the manual it is specified to be a class 10!  Oh well... back to Amazon.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 08:11:45 PM by prentir »
Alesis Strike Pro, DW 9000 double kick, DW 9399 Heavy Duty Snare Stand, DW 9500 Heavy Duty 2-leg Hi-Hat Stand plus 2 x DW9700 Cymbal stands and a DW 9000 Low boom Ride Cymbal Stand for expansion. Researching Jobeky 18" Crash & 20" Ride.