Author Topic: DM10 X Kit User setup  (Read 1499 times)

Offline URRR

DM10 X Kit User setup
« on: February 18, 2018, 02:39:41 AM »
Owners DM10 X Kit may be useful information about my preferences. The first step I reset the module settings to factory settings. The next step I took was to flash the module to the settings courtesy of rhysT using the C6 program. You can download my all memory and Trigger SysEx files via the Dropbox link in this post:
http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=4240.msg45952#msg45952 after firmware some triggers worked incorrectly and I made more fine-tuning using these settings found by me on the Internet. You can download them here: https://yadi.sk/d/cRr1E4Vp3SWft5
After the firmware and settings DM10 X Kit began to sound like never before! I am very pleased with the result! You can try to tune your drums using the received information. I recommend you to save your settings in case you do not like the result.

I wish you all good luck!

Offline Dartanbeck

Re: DM10 X Kit User setup
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 09:59:52 PM »
Very cool URRR and rhysT!!!

It's always cool to have advice on getting the most satisfaction as possible out of such a powerful system. Powerful systems often require a good dose of patience and practice to fine-tune to ones liking!

So I'd like to add to this a little from my perspective as well, just to add my two cents worth of experience getting going:

Default Kit
I play live with two bands and it was very important to me to get a really good Default kit that I can rely on as my main drum kit. It didn't take me long to find something that I thought was a close match to what I wanted. So with that kit selected, I stored that kit to one of the User Kit slots and gave it an easy-to-find name. I chose "Dartanbeck Default"

After the kit was stored, I navigated to it under the Drumkit menu and began trying out various other drum sounds in each of the drums, rims, and cymbals. For example, I wanted Tom 1's rim to be a cowbell and Tom 2's rim to be a Vibraslap. So those were a perfect place to start.  During this whole process, I made sure to go through each of the sounds in the instrument class I was working on, so I could gather a good idea of everything at my disposal. There are a LOT of sounds in this module and I wanted to gain a good understanding of what I had to choose from.

Once I get some changes made how I like them, I would Store the kit back to the same slot and name to save it. I still tweak this kit sometimes. It's been an evolving kit since the day I bought it and it just keeps getting better.

Making Variations
With a good default kit made, I can store it into a new slot, giving it a memorable name of the variations I want to make, like "Bongo Tops" which replaces the above mentioned cowbell and vibraslap with bongo sounds. Since I've made this from a copy of a kit I already use, it matches perfectly live. The only differences might be if I made this kit before making further tweaks to the Default kit. It has turned out that I often like these differences as a reminder of a previous kit. Which is what brings up the next one:

Storing a Backup
I like to keep a saved version of my default kit somewhere in the User Kit slots. I call mine Dartanbeck Save. Mine is fairly old now and, when I go back and play the kit, I commend my choices when I first made this default kit. Many of the changes sound less attractive through the headphones, but deal with the sound through the PA much better than this awesome sounding original kit.

Loading the Default Kit on Module Start Up
I've recently started messing around with the idea of recording custom sequences that I can trigger on and off during live sessions. Before I even got into that, I've discovered something cool - which is the title of this tip.

I don't want to get rid of the Sequence #1: Jalapeno, but I need to change it. So before making any changes, I stored a copy of it to the last User Sequence slot and gave it the name Jalapeno, just as it was named originally. Now I rename the #1 Sequence to "Blank" and Edit both the Drum and ACCOMP tracks, deleting them to make them all blank.

Here's the key part: Before storing my new blank sequence, I tap the Drumkit button and scroll to my Default kit - THEN I store the Sequence as #1 "Blank" (or is it #0? - it's the first one anyway)

Now every time I turn on my module, my Default kit is loaded and ready to play with no further scrolling. Furthermore, when I accidentally hit the Play button, there are no performances in the Sequence that will play through our PA! I accidentally started a Sequence during live performances two or three times. Not cool! LOL
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline rhysT

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 03:46:14 PM »
After the firmware and settings DM10 X Kit began to sound like never before! I am very pleased with the result!

URRR, glad you like the improved kits although it would have been easier to share our own kit settings if Alesis had provided a similar Strike editor for the DM10 to extract the module's parameters and allow separate kits to be saved.

Dartanbeck, revising my DM10 kit order was mainly based on starting the module at Kit #100 and allowing user kits to be stored nearby. All 200 kits have been populated to allow more flexibility by keeping revised versions of the original kits and grouping the electronic sounding kits near Kit #200 as they can be copied elsewhere if required.

Btw, apparently the Strike module doesn't allow its startup kit location to be set for a preferred User kit.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 04:42:26 PM by rhysT »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 04:53:03 PM »
Btw, apparently the Strike module doesn't allow its startup kit location to be customized.

The STRIKE module doesn't allow you to change default/startup kit ..but starting in v1.3 you can now select kit via CC program change and
after the modules initial startup/scanning with a press of a switch you can go straight to your kit.

v1.3 changelog pg3
Program Change Receive: Send MIDI program change messages to your Strike module’s MIDI input or USB port. The numbers of program change messages correspond to the kits listed in the current folder. Alternatively, send MIDI CC #118 to increment by one kit or MIDI CC #119 to decrement by one kit.

I have setup a Rocktron All Access to the STRIKE module midi in to change kits .The trick would be to then use the midi thru/out on the STRIKE module to send the CC program change for the kit to a programmable midi patch bay (I still use the old MX-8) where you can reassign the number used for the kit to different CC program changes/channels out to control various pieces of hardware including DMX lighting.

Apparently you can send through usb also..but I haven't tested that

added V1.3 pdf changelog

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 05:07:25 PM by Chaser »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 09:04:03 AM »
The STRIKE module doesn't allow you to change default/startup kit ..but starting in v1.3 you can now select kit via CC program change and
after the modules initial startup/scanning with a press of a switch you can go straight to your kit.

v1.3 changelog pg3
Program Change Receive: Send MIDI program change messages to your Strike module’s MIDI input or USB port. The numbers of program change messages correspond to the kits listed in the current folder. Alternatively, send MIDI CC #118 to increment by one kit or MIDI CC #119 to decrement by one kit.

The pre-release Strike module revealed at NAMM 2016 showed a Song button and Accomp fader. If Alesis intended to include a DM10 like Sequencer function (but possibly disabled) maybe they could reprogram it to allow a default/startup kit to be saved.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 05:39:34 PM by rhysT »

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 06:48:21 PM »
If the pre-release Strike module shown at NAMM was authentic, maybe Alesis could reprogram its disabled Song/Accomp (Sequencer?) function to allow a default/startup kit to be saved.  ;)
So the Song button currently doesn't do anything?
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline Chaser

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 08:40:55 PM »

The STRIKE module doesn't have a song button...the layout has changed since then.
there is a sample mode for playing/recording your own samples..add to the SD card or use aux. in.
you can then slice ..loop ..create one shots etc and also assign the sample as an instrument/layer and set parameters such velocity strike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbb9GVxp6Sg

Here's the latest Tim Root NAMM 2018.. samples video. (the 1st sound like Vegas slot machine fx..lol)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIeVd7Ygvv0

attached a pic of current STRIKE module v1.3 layout
[mixer] is now [NOTE CHASE]
[song] is now [MIXER]
[rec sample] is now [SAMPLE]
[note chase] is now [KIT FX]
[kit] is now [VOICE]
[main] is now [KIT]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:29:31 PM by Chaser »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 05:15:44 PM »
The pre-release Strike module revealed at NAMM 2016 showed a Song button and Accomp fader. If Alesis intended to include a DM10 like Sequencer function (but possibly disabled) maybe they could reprogram it to allow a default/startup kit to be saved.

Thanks Chaser for clarifying any confusion with my attempted humor about obvious similarities between the original DM10 and Strike modules.

Btw, I've edited my previous response.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 05:48:24 PM by rhysT »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 06:32:25 PM »
I actually got an email asking about the "song" button etc a couple weeks ago by a local drummer friend who purchased a STRIKE kit and had watched videos off youtube and thought his module was faulty because it was missing it.

Speaking of confusion..not to get off topic..have you seen the "NEW" Medeli module/kits?

The kit models/numbers are familiar..I remember the 650 coming out
..but I don't remember these modules and the manuals aren't in the download section yet
and what's an "iKit"?

Drum Kits:  50 preset; 49 user
iKit: 5
Voices:  650; user (16M max)
Record:  MIDI; Audio
Songs:  100 preset; 10 user
External Driver: USB (64G max)

https://www.medeli.com.hk/dd638dx
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 07:46:54 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 06:55:55 PM »
now to me that module looks like a (lets send off this one we are making for alesis clone modify and sell)

looks like yet another asian copy clone and modify just enough to stay out of trouble. they clone and copy everything

maybe alesis will catch on someday and go back to in house

my guess a much cheaper version of the strike.