Author Topic: DM10 MKII Pro Users!  (Read 2349 times)

Offline VandalX

DM10 MKII Pro Users!
« on: December 26, 2017, 11:54:10 AM »
I'd like to start a thread for those who own (or are looking to own) the Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro kit. Tips, tricks, resources, questions and comments would all be covered with an eye towards our particular kit/module. Since this model line is a confusing mix of similar letters and numbers, it would be nice to have a place for this relatively unknown/unsupported e-drum kit.

Things I'd like to explore:

1. Rack and instrument placement for maximum comfort and ergonomics. For those of us new to the e-drum world, this can be tricky; moving from acoustics to electronics isn't a straight path.

2. Module tricks and manual translation. As with any set up and user manual, the Alesis is lacking in specifics. I think they just cut and paste throughout their product line and make small changes to apply to the particular model. This gets confusing, especially when you move to the MK II line (studio module or Pro module?).

3. VST integration. Who uses what VST and why? What are your favorites? What's your setup like for seamless, no-latency sound through your system?

4. Other module integration. Do you use an alternate module for the DM10 MKII Pro? What are your favorites? Are you thinking of upgrading the MK II module to another Alesis or a brand outside their ecosystem?

5. Best practice...practices. What do you do to practice on your new kit? Do you use play along-songs (like those samples shipped in the module), original compositions played through the module (via iPod/tablet, etc.). What is your setup like for playing with an original multitrack composition? I have a box of old (late-80s) four track cassettes (from a still-working Tascam Porta 05) with "sketches" I did using a drum machine. I've been thinking about replacing the drum machine with DM10 tracks. Anyone else do this?

6. Maintenance. Any things falling apart prematurely? Do you fix your own stuff or send it back? Have you integrated any outside equipment into the kit, and how do they fit in to the whole?

7. Cymbals/Hi hat. This seems to be a sticking point across the Alesis line. Have you replaced the stock cymbals/hi hat with something more robust and less finicky? I'm too new to the set to find all the issues that seem to plague people using Alesis cymbals, but I believe they exist and will encounter them at some point. It would be nice to find out what the consensus is regarding these issues.

8. Bass drum tricks. Do you double (or triple, machine gun) hit without meaning to? What adjustments do you use to get the right hit for your playing style? I have an Tama Iron Cobra double pedal and an old Camco single. Still not good on the double (that's a matter of practice for me, not an issue with the kit), but my speed on a single hit is compromised by the occasional double hit. Still adjusting spring tension, head tension and beater length to get the right feel. I don't think it's a design flaw, but perhaps my newbie status and getting used to a new way to play that's taking some getting used to. I tend to bury the beater on my acoustic, and I need to adjust my playing to get where I want to be.

If anyone else has stuff to add, please chime in. I'd love to get a group of DM10 MK II Pro users connected and talking about the stuff that affects our particular model line.

Cheers,
Kelly
Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro (with Tama Iron Cobra double). Pearl Export acoustic. Fostex VF160EX Digital multitrack (16). Fostex monitors. Roland TR-626 drum machine. Roland Juno 106 Poly synth. Aria Knight Warrior. Peavy Fury. Digitech GNX3000. Digitech RP360. Tascam Porta 05 four track. MacBook Air.

Offline VandalX

Re: DM10 MKII Pro Users!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 12:50:37 PM »
BTW, I was just playing with the voices on a User Kit. There are several Blue Jay instruments in the menu. Snare and Ride as far as I can tell. It's not the full Blue Jay kit sample, but hey, there are a few ported to the module! Wouldn't it be great if they provided a rundown of all the individual samples in one place? You know, like a directory? I know...wishful thinking. It is kinda fun to cobble together pieces from different sets to achieve an overall sound. Trying to approximate a "Bonham" style kit with the included samples is tricky. I know Addictive (Or Slate, can't remember which one) has a Bonham kit with their VST. That's for another time and a new laptop!
Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro (with Tama Iron Cobra double). Pearl Export acoustic. Fostex VF160EX Digital multitrack (16). Fostex monitors. Roland TR-626 drum machine. Roland Juno 106 Poly synth. Aria Knight Warrior. Peavy Fury. Digitech GNX3000. Digitech RP360. Tascam Porta 05 four track. MacBook Air.

Offline Purpledc

Re: DM10 MKII Pro Users!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 03:03:01 PM »
I have the pro.  I can give some good tips on #8.   Im using pearl p932 double pedal modified with demondrive direct links added so it has serious thump.  I find most triggering issues are causd by the bass drum bouncing. 

I purchased ankle weights for working out (2 10 lb weights.  One on the front and one on the back. ) and wrapped the kick drum tower in those weights to keep it planted.   This however caused a second symptom of double triggers instead of missed triggers.  So i upped the retrigger cancelation to max.  With my other aggressive settings the compression and eq it works perfectly.