Author Topic: Rockin' DM10X Style in Wisconsin!!!  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Dartanbeck

Rockin' DM10X Style in Wisconsin!!!
« on: January 27, 2018, 08:29:51 PM »
Dartanbeck here, rockin' one of the very last Alesis DM10X Mesh kits openly available new online. It was scary to me... I work outdoors and didn't know they were being phased out. By the time mine arrived the DM10 kits were completely removed from all online music stores I could find. I'm incredibly grateful that I got it before they went out though... this is an AMAZING KIT!!!

I want to get more Alesis kits to add on to this now! No hurries... I love this thing!
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline AlanK

Re: Rockin' DM10X Style in Wisconsin!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 12:27:10 PM »
are you Jason Bonham?   8)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 01:42:49 PM »
are you Jason Bonham?   8)
LOL!
No, but I sure learned a lot from his Dad!  ;)

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 03:18:18 PM »
as did I, my friend.. my biggest influence and always my go to drummer (and band).. I know there are better, or faster, but there will never be anyone quite like him
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline JayBeatDrums

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 04:27:06 PM »
Sweet setup!  8)
-Alesis Strike Pro, Gibraltar motorcycle throne with backrest, DW 5000 Accelerator double bass-

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 04:59:52 PM »
Thanks! So far it's just the basic DM10X Mesh kit with a fairly standard setup - like in the promo pictures pretty much, except that I swapped the ride cymbal for the second crash, and I moved the right rear vertical rack leg (with the cymbal boom insert coupling) to the left, cut off the base of a mic stand and have my mic boom as part of my rack. Works great!

EDIT: The image I posted was my first gig with the kit, and it didn't have the leg-swap-mic-stand upgrade yet

My guitarist gave me two hard cases that are something like 3' x 5' x 8" - 10" expandable depth with wheels

I used corrugated cardboard to make sections which firmly hold all of my components and doubled up all of the cardboard sections and coated them with black fabric. Between these two cases, the folded rack is the only thing that doesn't go into them - even my module, double bass pedal, kick tower... the whole works.

Since the cases can expand in depth, when I expand my kit I'll be able to add more pads, cymbals, interfaces, etc., in those cases by adding a new layer of sections. The cymbals pack into a layer that lays over the pads beneath. I cut foam to fit the bells of the cymbals so they easily find their spot, no matter how tired I am at the end of the gig (we do 4 hour shows)

The wonderful velcro straps (cable ties) that came with the kit hold the cables nicely in place on the rack. It came with plenty, so I use two of them - joined together velcro-to-velcro - on each side when I fold the rack up for transport, and those go around the rack legs to keep the whole thing nice and secure. A few more ties hold the ends of the cables in specific, safe places for transport. The rack rides on top of the two cases, either in the Band trailer or in the back of my van.

It's awesome and easy. Best of all... it just Thunders at gigs! I Love It!!!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 05:02:12 PM by Dartanbeck »

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 06:40:00 PM »
John Bonham was a huge inspiration to me growing up. So was Barriemore Barlow from Jethro Tull Stand Up Live, as with all of the other drummers of Tull over the years. Neil peart came along and really tore things up. I learned Moby Dick from the live Song Remains the Same (Led Zeppelin) album all the way through when I was in High School and played it on several stages for friends and family.

My big brother's a killer bass player and he's the one who turned my on to Zeppelin, Aerosmith, and others. He was an awesome influence on me - I still can't get over how he and the rest of my family were able to allow me to teach myself how to play. The Band instructor knew I could learn instruments quickly and, since he didn't have time to give me any lessons, let me join band if I was willing to teach myself - so I did.

Yes was a huge inspiration. Alen White is an incredible drummer, as is Bill Bruford. Trying to figure out what they were doing by ear alone really helped me to define my own chops - only to find out many years later that I play drums wrong! LOL  But the musicians I work with like it anyway! ;)

Bill Bruford!
https://youtu.be/yQHkjYewJoU

Alan White
https://youtu.be/YPZfV3XFzME

John Bonham - Moby Dick (this is the version I learned)
https://youtu.be/PFlL9Z1A8gs

Neil Peart - So touching. After losing his daughter, then his wife right after... it was over four years since anyone has seen him. Finally coming back home, he wasn't even sure if he'd still be able to play. With the help of his (RUSH) friends, he turns out this amazingness!
https://youtu.be/ErOej1PJeW8