Author Topic: New Dm10 MarkII Pro Kit  (Read 8846 times)

Offline rhysT

Re: New Dm10 MarkII Pro Kit
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2017, 07:44:39 PM »
OK until we see the DM10 Mk-II Pro manual the function/s of buttons '1 & 3' are a bit uncertain, but its 'up & down' arrows could substitute for the DTX 700's '+ & -' buttons.

I'm just assuming Alesis are targeting potential Yamaha (and other brand) buyers with their mid-range DM10 Mk-II Pro kit & module at a lower price.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 08:05:38 PM by rhysT »

Offline prentir

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2017, 08:31:23 PM »
OK until we see the DM10 Mk-II Pro manual the function/s of buttons '1 & 3' are a bit uncertain, but its 'up & down' arrows could substitute for the DTX 700's '+ & -' buttons.

I'm just assuming Alesis are targeting potential Yamaha (and other brand) buyers with their mid-range DM10 Mk-II Pro kit & module at a lower price.

Yes I can see it.  That makes sense.  Very perceptive.   ;D
Alesis Strike Pro, DW 9000 double kick, DW 9399 Heavy Duty Snare Stand, DW 9500 Heavy Duty 2-leg Hi-Hat Stand plus 2 x DW9700 Cymbal stands and a DW 9000 Low boom Ride Cymbal Stand for expansion. Researching Jobeky 18" Crash & 20" Ride.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2017, 11:58:27 PM »
Did anyone else notice the line from Alesis that states: "Download Your Favorite Voices to the DM10 MKII Pro Drum Module"?

Maybe extra virtual instrument sounds like these (http://sonivoxmi.com/products/virtual-instruments/C71) will be available, as Big Bang Drums & Cinematic Percussion are included with the Akai MPD-218 Midi pad controller for $99. (http://www.akaipro.com/product/mpd218)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 01:17:40 AM by rhysT »

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2017, 02:56:59 PM »

The manual is not on the US site, but other countries have it up:

http://alesis.de/sites/default/files/downloads/DM10%20MKII%20Pro%20Module%20-%20User%20Guide%20-%20v1.0.pdf

The 1,2,3 buttons look like they are used to quickly switch to a menu of your choice.  Like a bookmark I guess.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 03:03:36 PM by bluemx »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2017, 03:58:44 PM »
Comparison chart to help with the confusion on the DM0 MKII Studio and the DM10 MKII Pro

DM10 MKII Studio frequently asked questions
http://www.alesis.com/kb/article/2345#compare

DM10 MKII Pro frequently asked questions
http://www.alesis.com/kb/article/2335#compare
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 04:17:12 PM by Chaser »

Online ChrisK

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2017, 10:38:13 PM »
Here demo,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0rAhy_-_e0

some sound came from strike, but not on par with strike kit, machine gun is present, but single hit can be good.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:40:25 PM by ChrisK »

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2018, 11:08:30 AM »
I know this is an old post.  But where did your information come from that Strike sounds were used on the module?   I had both kits and I didn't see any kits that overlapped the two modules.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2018, 01:04:01 AM »
My personal point of view: I see this new kit as a "DM10X Kit Mesh" with a different (and newer) drum brain.
That is, EXACTLY what I was looking for!  :)

A short explanation: I live in Italy, so I sincerely hope that this kit will be up for sale soon over here; in the meantime I own and play a first series DM10 Studio kit that I converted to mesh heads. Since I use the kit just in my home to study and have fun with, it's just right for my needs: no noise for neighbours, fantastic drum brain, right price (bought in 2010).
When I wanted to upgrade to larger pads and cymbals some months ago... the DM10X mesh kit vanished from shops! In fact they sell other models, but the one closer to my tastes was the Crimson -- yet, it lacked a tom and a cymbal (both TRS).

Now, considering that I'd really like the Strike Pro but I cannot spend 2500 Euros for a drumset to keep in a garage, I consider the DM10 MKII PRO as THE alternative!
I wouldn't part with the DM10 brain -- and even I could use it in conjunction to expand (waaaay better than a Trigger IO...). But the new drum module (MKII) with its usb voice loading feature, really intrigues me.

Now the panorama shows again some great choices for all pockets: Strike Pro for professionals and serious guys, DM10 MKII Pro for occasional live players, students, budget oriented fellas.
In any case, ALL great drumsets with a lot of great features!

Just my opinion, btw
I, too, love my original DM10 module, and am looking at this kit as an add-on to mine (DM10X Mesh). I'm looking at several kits.

Crimson/Command/Forge kits have the USB import of WAV, but can they layer two together like this one?

I love the Strike kit specs, but I truly love the pads of the DM10X Mesh. So portable, easy to pack up in a simple case (nice and cozy and safe) and NOT made of wood shells. As much as those shells appeal to masses, and I can see why - they're gorgeous! - I really like the lean sized quality feel of the DM10.

I wouldn't want to part with my DM10 module either, since it has all of those non-drum sounds built in. We don't have a keyboard player nor do I want to delve of into trying to find a costly sound module for just a few sounds. But the DM10 (orig) has some really great sounds available to midi in controllers as accompaniment sounds. I like that and am planning on making good use of that.

Meanwhile, like Pier, I'm actually very excited about what the MKII Pro module has to offer at this price-point. I like the changes they've made that appear to be an attempt on behalf of Alesis to get sound shaping a bit more drum-like. I really want to get my hands and ears on this kit and give it a go. I really love these pads!
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline rhysT

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2018, 08:50:04 AM »
I, too, love my original DM10 module, and am looking at this kit as an add-on to mine (DM10X Mesh). I'm looking at several kits.

Crimson/Command/Forge kits have the USB import of WAV, but can they layer two together like this one?

According to the DM10 MkII Pro manual (P-14) it can velocity switch between two WAV files but it's unlikely they could be overlayed together.

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2018, 10:37:17 AM »
My personal point of view: I see this new kit as a "DM10X Kit Mesh" with a different (and newer) drum brain.
That is, EXACTLY what I was looking for!  :)

A short explanation: I live in Italy, so I sincerely hope that this kit will be up for sale soon over here; in the meantime I own and play a first series DM10 Studio kit that I converted to mesh heads. Since I use the kit just in my home to study and have fun with, it's just right for my needs: no noise for neighbours, fantastic drum brain, right price (bought in 2010).
When I wanted to upgrade to larger pads and cymbals some months ago... the DM10X mesh kit vanished from shops! In fact they sell other models, but the one closer to my tastes was the Crimson -- yet, it lacked a tom and a cymbal (both TRS).

Now, considering that I'd really like the Strike Pro but I cannot spend 2500 Euros for a drumset to keep in a garage, I consider the DM10 MKII PRO as THE alternative!
I wouldn't part with the DM10 brain -- and even I could use it in conjunction to expand (waaaay better than a Trigger IO...). But the new drum module (MKII) with its usb voice loading feature, really intrigues me.

Now the panorama shows again some great choices for all pockets: Strike Pro for professionals and serious guys, DM10 MKII Pro for occasional live players, students, budget oriented fellas.
In any case, ALL great drumsets with a lot of great features!

Just my opinion, btw

I love the Strike kit specs, but I truly love the pads of the DM10X Mesh. So portable, easy to pack up in a simple case (nice and cozy and safe) and NOT made of wood shells. As much as those shells appeal to masses, and I can see why - they're gorgeous! - I really like the lean sized quality feel of the DM10.

I wouldn't want to part with my DM10 module either, since it has all of those non-drum sounds built in. We don't have a keyboard player nor do I want to delve of into trying to find a costly sound module for just a few sounds. But the DM10 (orig) has some really great sounds available to midi in controllers as accompaniment sounds. I like that and am planning on making good use of that.

Meanwhile, like Pier, I'm actually very excited about what the MKII Pro module has to offer at this price-point. I like the changes they've made that appear to be an attempt on behalf of Alesis to get sound shaping a bit more drum-like. I really want to get my hands and ears on this kit and give it a go. I really love these pads!

Keep your pads and buy a strike module.  Then import your sounds you want.  And you can create
new instruments with as many velocity layers you want.  People sell the module for less than seven bills. I know that’s a lot.  But the possibilities are nearly limitless.  Now that I’m learning this thing I’m seeing that it really does so much I didn’t even know it could do.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2018, 06:19:14 PM »
That does sound cool... but it's the more pads that I need, which is pushing my towards buying another kit. Getting a Strike would be cool though... I think
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline VandalX

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2018, 12:34:15 PM »
As someone who has purchased a MKII Pro, I have a few tips.

I love this kit. It's fun to play, the module isn't bad out of the box, and the playability is great. Getting a kit this size at this price point (~$1200-ish) is a pretty good value. This is my first e-drum kit (after being an acoustic player off and on for 30+ years), and first Alesis product since I bought a midi sequencer way back in the late '80s. It does what I thought it would, and exceeded my expectations as to the sounds, responsiveness and possible expandability.

That's the good news. The bad news is that the build quality of the mesh pads is awful. Well, the wiring is awful. tiny filament wires with brittle insulation that readily breaks under normal usage. Perhaps I've been particularly unlucky, but after going through two kits, I feel they missed out on some quality controls. The first kit to arrive worked perfectly for about a month and a half. Then the snare trigger started to fail. Eventually only the rim trigger was working. So I cycled through the other 12" toms, using them as snares, until I had "broken" all the 12" pads. They all failed in the same way, ostensibly from the same cause.

The way they failed is the wiring either breaks (the wires are brittle), or the solder/glue connection fails. The cause of the failure seems to be hitting the pads with a stick (I assume that's something of a product feature with drums). So due to my purchase through Amazon Prime, I received a whole new kit, as well as two auxiliary 12" pads (a nice touch) and returned the old unit. This was a hassle, as I had to rebox everything and take it to UPS. But it was all free, so at least that wasn't an issue.

Fast forward to last week. Another pad failure, and yes, it was the snare. I am NOT a basher! I don't hit these things with baseball bats. Since I knew where to look for the point of failure, I took off the head and there it was, a broken red lead. So far, this is the recurrent weak link in this kit. Either one or both of the wires leading to the main center trigger break. Since I received two extra pads, I figured I would try to fix the malfunctioning one with a more robust setup. I ordered some new transducers (triggers) from Goedrum to replace the factory-installed ones, and this is where I find myself right now. I might try to upgrade the wiring alone with a more sturdy gauge and keep the Alesis triggers, but I haven't decided that yet.

Now, despite my displeasure with Alesis and their build quality, I did decide to keep the kit. I couldn't justify returning it again and "upgrading" it to a Strike or some other manufacturer. Cost, wasted resources and no guarantee that I wouldn't end up with another problem has resulted in a DIY mindset, and I will learn everything I can about using the base kit as a template and "pimping" it out to my liking.

If I find I'm not happy with the way that's working out, I plan on moving on to Laurin pads and integrating them into my kit as I move forward.

I'm happily adding a VST to the mix, bypassing the module sounds altogether. I think I've decided on Addictive Drummer 2, though EZ Drummer was pretty cool too. It lacked a few functions that I feel are useful, and I couldn't fleet up to the Superior Drummer from Toontrack at this time. Steven Slate was another option, but they don't have a demo to try out, and the SSD5 is coming out soon, so that might be a purchase down the road. For now, I will be getting to know AD2 and paired with my Behringer UMC404HD, I think I have my latency solved on my Macbook Air.

All in all, the DM10 MKII Pro is a decent kit at a good price point. There are some build quality issues, but they can be fixed if you're willing to learn a bit about your kit, and especially if you are buying one that isn't under warranty. If you know what the issues are going to be ahead of time, you can plan for them and get an even better deal. While I don't think selling a brand new product with what seems to be a perennial manufacturing error is a good business model, the work around isn't terribly complicated, and for the price, it's likely worthwhile.

Happy drumming!
Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro (with Tama Iron Cobra double). Pearl Export acoustic. Fostex VF160EX Digital multitrack (16). Fostex monitors. Roland TR-626 drum machine. Roland Juno 106 Poly synth. Aria Knight Warrior. Peavy Fury. Digitech GNX3000. Digitech RP360. Tascam Porta 05 four track. MacBook Air.