Author Topic: DM10 X Rack Assembly/Arrangement  (Read 6340 times)

DM10 X Rack Assembly/Arrangement
« on: May 06, 2012, 02:00:11 AM »
I know I'm not the only one who found the assembly directions for the DM10 X rack to be ridiculously vague/unreadable.  I managed to assemble the rack just fine.  The main thing I am not sure about is the clamp mounting.  Up until tonight the clamps have all been arranged in C formation over the rack with the pad parallel to the clamp and rack bar with the exception of the Hi Hat for obvious reasons.  What I'm wondering is if there is any advisement against using the racks in a reverse manner where it's more of an S shape in order to get the floot toms in closer proximity.  The Crash cymbal is dictating the distance of that bar on the rack..which means reaching for the Toms too much.  I don't want to damage any parts by positioning them in a way that stresses the parts. 

I'm interested in how others have done theirs and any recommendations they may have.  I've always struggled with getting the right placement for my pads and now I'm dealing with different sizes of drum heads and more pieces on a larger rack. 

Re: DM10 X Rack Assembly/Arrangement
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 03:34:35 PM »
I've gone ahead and arranged the L rods in any manner necessary to get the right placement other than having them upside down where the pad could conceivably slide off.  That helped me get both floor toms placed ergonomically by opening up space on the floor tom rack bar to allow placement in front of the Crash cymbal bar instead of forcing both toms between the crash bar/support beam and the right support beam. 

Offline Trondster

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 04:26:24 PM »
Don't be afraid of arranging the pads in creative ways - I have one 10" hanging down from an L-rod, and I'm not worried in slightest. :)
And -if you're actively using the rim triggers - try to angle the toms so that you're not hitting the rims right above the bracket - if so, you're inviting all sorts of crosstalk..
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 11:45:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply!  I would want to just sit closer to the rack, but that Crash cymbal placement needed to be aligned better.  The further they stand from the rack, the more extension and ergonomic control you have. 

I think I got the cross-talk ironed out with the last bit of zone talk eradicated today.   

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 12:41:21 PM »
Yes, the set-up for me was a test in patience, but I have a slightly modified one going with three toms across the front, and the fourth more as a floor tom. It would be nice to move the cymbals to better locations, but I have gotten used to it.
I did the 682Drums no soldering upgrade. See my photos here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=3683.msg31354#msg31354

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 07:40:07 PM »
Yes, the set-up for me was a test in patience, but I have a slightly modified one going with three toms across the front, and the fourth more as a floor tom. It would be nice to move the cymbals to better locations, but I have gotten used to it.

You have to have your rack put together wrong.  The long bars are supposed to be on the sides with the short ones in the middle.  I don't think 3 toms would fit across the back with the shorter bars there.

JayC

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 07:22:00 AM »
Hi,

Even I could not figure out the DM10 X rack and I spent a considerable amount of time on it. Left with no option and the deadline coming close, I took help from a friend of mine and that came as a big relief. In the end what worked for me was a systematic approach towards the objective.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 06:59:23 AM »
Here's a DM10/Trigger-IO kit with an impressive rack layout:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8jfs9mrjxgkr5x/DM10%20Trigger%20IO%20kit.jpg?dl=0
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:23:36 AM by rhysT »

Offline AlanK

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 09:55:27 AM »
it's just... mind bending... lol

what a kit! I don't even think I'd know where to start.. Some day you've just GOT to video this monster in use!

very cool, man, very cool.. and yes, I don't say this to guys often, but you have an impressive rack! (and thanks to Harvey Weinstein, I can't really say that to women anymore either! dohhhhhhh)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline rhysT

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 07:25:53 PM »
what a kit! I don't even think I'd know where to start.. Some day you've just GOT to video this monster in use!

Would you believe it's just my practice kit ...... I wish!

FYI, here's some more pics of DM10 rack setups for ideas:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1wnx8tl5t3pxznl/Dual%20DM10%20kit.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/53wc2f7s10ujnff/DM10x%20big%20kit.jpg?dl=0

I'd also like to see a cockpit view of this Chaser rig if possible:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p6aw03lvp3r6u51/Chaser%20DM10%26TriggerIO%20rig.jpg?dl=0
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:19:57 PM by rhysT »

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 07:21:04 PM »
Wow. Nice kit pics!!!
I'm planning to expand on mine as well, as time goes on.
I'm wondering if there is any advisement against using the racks in a reverse manner where it's more of an S shape in order to get the floot toms in closer proximity.  The Crash cymbal is dictating the distance of that bar on the rack..which means reaching for the Toms too much.
Not sure what you mean here, but if you're talking about Crash 2 (the one mounted by default on the far right rack upright leg), I never liked that setup from the start.

I was lucky enough to have a multiclamp handy, so I used that cymbal boom multiclamped the the bottom of Crash 1 boom to suspend the Hi Hat reaching out to the module, and used the hat arm for the ride between the two floor toms and put Crash 2 where they illustrate the Ride being. So I had to double back the cable for Crash 2 since it's a LOT closer to the module now, and the cables for the ride make it nicely - but only just. Still, they're not stretching or getting otherwise damaged.

I also took that rear right vertical rack leg and swapped it with the rear left leg and use that stand clamp for my microphone stand. I used a pipe cutter to remove the base of the mic stand and the lower post fits just right - so now my mic boom just folds up with my rack! Works Sweet!

I have a gig tomorrow. I want to get to my kit (at the studio) early enough to try some stuff I've been learning from this crazy-cool forum. Maybe I can snap some pics.
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 04:28:48 PM »
So this first image shows the full DM10X Mesh from one angle

This next is the same image but I've highlighted the multi-clamped upside-down boom arm (originally included for Ride) holding the Hi Hat into place, and shows the rear left leg (originally rear right leg) of the rack, which is holding my mic boom where the Crash 2 is supposed to be mounted (but on the opposite side of the kit).

This is the second image of the full kit from another angle

This next is the same image but highlights that the Ride and Crash 2 have swapped positions and the Ride cymbal is on the Hi Hat arm. I've also highlighted the leg which now resides as the rear right of the rack. This one doesn't have the hardware holder top, hence why I swapped it, so my mic stand comes in from the same side I have always been used to.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:36:35 PM by Dartanbeck »

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 05:14:12 PM »
I have a couple new clamps on order, which will put the Hi Hat back onto its original arm and the Ride onto its boom.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 05:31:51 PM »
I also want to but another Alesis kit to use as an add-on for my DM10X Mesh.

So far I'm thinking along these lines. The list is in order of what I would currently prefer and is dependent upon how much I'll be able to spend when the time comes.

Command Mesh - I like the idea of adding one more 10" mesh pad, three 8" Mesh tom pads, and the added 8" Bass Mesh and the smaller cymbals for placing in various places around the rack. The main consideration of this one is the ability to add custom samples

Surge Mesh - Same as above but with a cheaper module. Is this module any good? If not I'll get a MIDI IO asap

Sample Pad Pro - I like this thing, and if I get one of these, the sampling abilities of the Command would become less of an important decision.

I love what I've seen of the Strike so far. I just don't (yet) want that large of drum pads. I love the ones that I have and, like I said, I'd love to add some smaller 8" dual zone mesh! I get the feeling that there's a LOT more going for the Command module over the Surge than just adding custom sample ability. For one, I bet the included sounds are a lot better. For another, it might even be able to assign custom MIDI notes to the pads, so I could just MIDI them over to my DM10 kit, which I would really like to do above all else.

Grabbing another DM10 or DM10 MKII Pro would be cool too, but I wouldn't get the smaller pads unless I went Studio. But if I went MKII, I think I'd like to try that Pro module.

Just some of my thoughts at the moment.