Author Topic: Medeli DD518DX  (Read 7095 times)

Medeli DD518DX
« on: December 05, 2013, 12:39:17 PM »
Hai...sorry if im asking about other brands then Alesis here

Just found the Medeli DD518DX(surveying and surfing of cause..heehee)...

1)did anyone know detailed/experienced about this edrum?...

2)how about the performance(especially the hi-hats function example the open,close,and maybe 1/4 open or 1/2open)if compare with DM10 Studio?

just need all of your comment about this product...will accept any comments from all of you especially the 'Old-Timers'...Thanks A Lot Guys...Keep Rocking!!! 8) ;D 8)

Offline Khes74

Re: Medeli DD518DX
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 09:06:56 AM »
Don't even bother with those.Medeli and the many re brands of those module are absolute crap. I had a KAT KT2 and it was awful. Go with Alesis dm8 at minimum because of the Dynamic Articulation. The dm10 module is slightly better because it has more sounds and more trigger inputs and other things such as mixer.

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 09:13:09 AM »
Had one, sold it an got a DM10.
Sound wise the DD518 is not a bad module, if only people gave it a bit of an EQ setup before saying it sounds bad. I enjoyed this module a lot.
What it did not have was Dynamic Articulation or Anti "machine gun effect", it was ok for Hihat, but Snare machine gunning was frustrating, that's the reason for buying the DM10.
Hi Hat wasn't bad, actually I enjoyed them better in the DD518 than in the DM10, you were not obliged to use a hihat combo and could set your own open sound/closed sound and in between sound.
I had hundreds of high quality midi I spent hours tweeking that the DD518 could play via the sd slot, the DM10 doesn't, and I can't load midi in the module, that was hard to swallow especially when the "you can load your own songs" commercial was part of my decision to move up to the DM10.

So i would say:
- Sound wise it's good and I found the DD518 ( with correct EQ settings and a bit of reverb ) good sounding, and sometimes not far from some DM10 sounds if not equal ( some I said..)
- HI Hat : I loved them on the DD518, definitely better feeling than with my Pro X Hihat
- Snare : limited with machine gun effect
- Everything dual zone, that was cool compared to the DM10 ( thanks for the advanced section in Drummer for tips to have bi zone hi hat and cymbals )

Bottom line : Not bad at all if you can get a cheap one, if there's only 50-100£/$ difference get a DM10

My Kit : Millenium Transformer Mesh + DM10 Module

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 09:04:44 PM »

Where did you get it?

I'm curious because the kit suspiciously looks like what's being sold as the new [Alesis Crimson](http://www.alesis.com/products/view2/crimson-mesh-kit?tt=5), [thread](http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=6326.0).

It appears that the DD518 kit has dual-trigger hi-hat with choke which the Alesis all lack and is my biggest concern before getting an Alesis kit.

If this kit is purchasable and cheap, it might be a good buy for those of us who want to use a computer for samples anyway. I hate overpaying for a module that I won't ever use...

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 07:04:40 AM »
Hey DougP
Actually the module I have is the Millenium MPS 600, it's exactly the same module ( shape and color ) as the Medeli DD518x, just another sticker on it. Same goes for the Traps E500 module, exactly same module different badge.

My kit was a Millenium Transformer I bought it of Gumtree for £200, what a bargain.
It's a kit with electric toms on one side and acoustic on the other side. Mesh on all toms.
It's the only kit with these features in the market and what a kit. I spent maybe £15 pounds buying new and bigger piezos and the kit works wonderful. It's a very very underestimated kit, and with a DM10 as a module it's a beast.

In regards to the DM10 there's a way round the hihat to make it dual zone it's here : http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=4778.0
but you of course need your cymbal to be dual zone in the first place so the Alesis Pro X Hi HAt won't cut it. I replaced the upper cymbal of the 2 part Alesis Pro X Hi Hat with the Millenium Hi Hat daul zone cymbal and it works perfect.

The thing is really all these brands are the same Medeli products rebranded depending on the country they are sold.

The Crimson really really looks like a TRAPS E500 mesh Kit with a better looking/newer module following Roland's trend to do modules looking like Yamahas.

The DM7 for Example has the exactly same Medeli equivalent
Millenium Tranformer kit costs like £500 with a Mps Module but will cost 1200 with a 2box module.
2 box kits come with the Millenium transformer mesh kit as well.
All of this is marketing.

If you give it a month I am sure you'll see the Crimson module will have a Fame/Medeli/Millenium/HXM or whatever brand they decide to brand this module on equivalent.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 07:37:22 AM »
Here's what my kit looks like if it can be of interest

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 09:42:21 AM »

Where did you get it?

I'm curious because the kit suspiciously looks like what's being sold as the new [Alesis Crimson](http://www.alesis.com/products/view2/crimson-mesh-kit?tt=5), [thread](http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=6326.0).

It appears that the DD518 kit has dual-trigger hi-hat with choke which the Alesis all lack and is my biggest concern before getting an Alesis kit.

If this kit is purchasable and cheap, it might be a good buy for those of us who want to use a computer for samples anyway. I hate overpaying for a module that I won't ever use...

The Crimson is NOT the DD518. This has been covered in the topic:

New Alesis Drum Module "Crimson" with New Kit that has red pads with mesh heads?

You might want to take a look in that topic.

Offline DJF-1975

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 08:01:30 AM »
BUMP

Forgive the bump, but most alesis, Simmons, pearl, and many other eKit products are made by Medeli and re-branded. This is a well-known fact.

Just thought I'd bring that up:)

Cheers!

Derp.. I somehow read over and missed this

Quote from: clickflare

The thing is really all these brands are the same Medeli products rebranded depending on the country they are sold.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 08:03:24 AM by DJF-1975 »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 10:38:19 AM »
BUMP

Forgive the bump, but most alesis, Simmons, pearl, and many other eKit products are made by Medeli and re-branded. This is a well-known fact.

Just thought I'd bring that up:)

Cheers!

Derp.. I somehow read over and missed this

Quote from: clickflare

Most members on this forum are quite aware of this fact. The better question is do you know which edrum products are NOT standard Medeli from Alesis, Simmons, and Pearl?  ;)

And yes there are some non Medeli edrum products that are branded Alesis, Simmons, and Pearl that are not Medeli at all.

And they are…?

Offline DJF-1975

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 12:08:03 PM »
This is why I corrected myself and noted I'd not seen the part of the medeli post I quoted. However...

My Alesis USB kit with the original I/O before it was sold out to DDrum which is also mostly Medeli/Alesis stuff anyway, Is all Medeli including rack and hihat pedal. ( I got the USB pro so it had the Alesis Surge cymbals by smartrigger)

My Alesis DM10 Studio Mesh kit. All Medeli pads with new mesh heads and the multi-hotspot cones I hate. with Medeli Hi Hat pedal and rack. cymbal pads also medeli
My Alesis DM10 Studio real-head kit, all medeli pads with mylar heads. Medeli hihat pedal. Again Medeli cymbal pads and rack.
My Alesis DM10 Pro kit, same as the USB 'cept different size Medeli pads and rack and HIHAT pedal are also medeli.

I'm going off of the more-than-average trend of many manufacturers buying the cheap china junk and re-branding. Ddrum, Pintech, Alesis, Pearl, Simmons, and the rest aren't even worth mentioning.

Yes, there are 'some' pads from these companies that are not medeli, but not many. Medeli stuff is just factually everywhere. Cheap China junk IMO, but it's what I could afford at the times.

In answer to your "better question" not sure as I've never really needed to know as I started going to other manufacturers because I was tired of buying toys and junk. Also an opinion but mostly fact considering the flimsy/cheap nature of Medeli products. I sincerely regret buying an Alesis DM10 Studio MESH kit recently, even discounted as the DM10 module is complete junk with horrid sounds and a nightmare to use and setup and Alesis' "new" mesh pad design with the 4 pegs in the center square and multiple outer pegs to support the mesh head feels like I'm hitting a hot spot with just about every hit.

I ebayed the module, bought a DMDock and threw my iPAd3 in. Still hate it, but I'm thinking of using the shells and baskets and ripping out the rest throwing it away 'cept for the jack, using a center cone conversion (single zone I don't use the rim stuff I y-cable for other effect pads) re-coating the shells with some crazy off color like winter green or frog green and going from there.

the BETTER question is that do you think Alesis will ever get out of its lawsuit with Roland over their "strike" kit with all the patented Roland features? Haven't been keeping up with that but I figure that's a relevant question considering I'm at an Alesis forum:)

Thanks for your reply. I've known your youtube channel for years but never quite "Chatted" with you before. Cheers and have a nice day!

D

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 01:26:37 PM »
This is why I corrected myself and noted I'd not seen the part of the medeli post I quoted. However...

My Alesis USB kit with the original I/O before it was sold out to DDrum which is also mostly Medeli/Alesis stuff anyway, Is all Medeli including rack and hihat pedal. ( I got the USB pro so it had the Alesis Surge cymbals by smartrigger)

My Alesis DM10 Studio Mesh kit. All Medeli pads with new mesh heads and the multi-hotspot cones I hate. with Medeli Hi Hat pedal and rack. cymbal pads also medeli
My Alesis DM10 Studio real-head kit, all medeli pads with mylar heads. Medeli hihat pedal. Again Medeli cymbal pads and rack.
My Alesis DM10 Pro kit, same as the USB 'cept different size Medeli pads and rack and HIHAT pedal are also medeli.

I'm going off of the more-than-average trend of many manufacturers buying the cheap china junk and re-branding. Ddrum, Pintech, Alesis, Pearl, Simmons, and the rest aren't even worth mentioning.

Yes, there are 'some' pads from these companies that are not medeli, but not many. Medeli stuff is just factually everywhere. Cheap China junk IMO, but it's what I could afford at the times.

In answer to your "better question" not sure as I've never really needed to know as I started going to other manufacturers because I was tired of buying toys and junk. Also an opinion but mostly fact considering the flimsy/cheap nature of Medeli products. I sincerely regret buying an Alesis DM10 Studio MESH kit recently, even discounted as the DM10 module is complete junk with horrid sounds and a nightmare to use and setup and Alesis' "new" mesh pad design with the 4 pegs in the center square and multiple outer pegs to support the mesh head feels like I'm hitting a hot spot with just about every hit.

I ebayed the module, bought a DMDock and threw my iPAd3 in. Still hate it, but I'm thinking of using the shells and baskets and ripping out the rest throwing it away 'cept for the jack, using a center cone conversion (single zone I don't use the rim stuff I y-cable for other effect pads) re-coating the shells with some crazy off color like winter green or frog green and going from there.

the BETTER question is that do you think Alesis will ever get out of its lawsuit with Roland over their "strike" kit with all the patented Roland features? Haven't been keeping up with that but I figure that's a relevant question considering I'm at an Alesis forum:)

Thanks for your reply. I've known your youtube channel for years but never quite "Chatted" with you before. Cheers and have a nice day!

D

Don't worry about the double post thing. I took care of that for you.

I had a feeling you were in the Alesis bashing mode. Most people are when they are quick to point out that they are a Medeli product (i.e. Medeli = Crap)

Incase you are wondering the Alesis DM10/DM8/Pearl REDbox/Trigger I/O modules are not Medeli rebrands. Those were made by Alesis. The DM10 which was released back in 2009 is quite good if you know what you are doing. That's why this forum exists. To get the most out of those modules. Most don't scratch the surface of what the DM10 is capable of, and many of them are the first to claim it's piece of junk. 

As to your BETTER question. You can see the answers to that in this topic:

*NEW* Alesis Strike "Zone" and Stike "Pro"

The last few pages of topic should answer your question.

See you over at that topic.

Offline DJF-1975

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 01:39:30 PM »
With all due respect, If I were in Alesis bashing mode, I'd not have purchased so much Alesis equipment over the years. Their innovation has sparked my interest over the years as well. I wasn't referencing the modules as being medeli:) I knew that:) Just all the pads and triggers etc.

The DM10 is capable of alot, but it's obsolete, ridden with un-used un-needed features, plagued with round-robin.. oops I mean Dynamic Articulation and horrid sounds.

The red box is also the same DM10 nightmare. Also the Pearl e cymbals, Medeli/Alesis :)

I will say this. I'm looking forward to DIY'ing the shizzle out of these Medeli pads. At least they have that quality as you've pointed out over the years.

Cheers and see you on the other topic:0 Thanks!

D