Author Topic: Laurin Snare  (Read 10999 times)

Offline gto3113

Laurin Snare
« on: July 28, 2014, 10:57:24 PM »
I've seen this for sale all over the place for US $139.00
It's a Laurin Snare - Mesh head 12 in snare. You can also get it in 10 inch.
Claims are it can be used for Alesis drums: including D4, Trigger IO, DM5, DM6, DM7, DM8, DM10
Roland TD3 to TD30, 2Box DrumIt Five, Pearl RedBox.
Has anyone ever heard of them or experienced them? Let me know what you think.

Here is a picture and a youtube link.
http://youtu.be/cY4hj77skkA

Offline Khes74

Re: Laurin Snare
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 03:43:02 PM »
Nope, never heard of it but I would contact the seller to make sure he is still making them.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 05:28:51 AM »
Here is their web site.

http://www.laurindrums.com/

Thay have some great looking finishes on their drums.

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 04:43:19 PM »
I'll let you all know how the Laurin snare is after Christmas. I contacted him about doing a 12" design, and sent him the graphic. Literally, in less than a week he had the graphic and transferred over and my snare built. Wife ordered it for me as a Christmas present, so I can't have it until then. Had I known the customer service was going to be so responsive, I would have waited a month or more to contact him. Now I just get to know it is here and I can't have it yet. ARGH.
DM10X mesh/foam conversion, Trigger IO, 8 piece, 7 cymbals, Roland Hi-Hat, Laurin Snare, Roland Rim Trigger, Addictive Drummer 2

Offline tk87

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 04:46:40 PM »
it just seems like an acoustic snare with internal trigger installed + mesh head? I see no reason why it would not work but always make sure   ;)

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 12:51:24 AM »
I've seen this for sale all over the place for US $139.00
It's a Laurin Snare - Mesh head 12 in snare. You can also get it in 10 inch.
Claims are it can be used for Alesis drums: including D4, Trigger IO, DM5, DM6, DM7, DM8, DM10
Roland TD3 to TD30, 2Box DrumIt Five, Pearl RedBox.
Has anyone ever heard of them or experienced them? Let me know what you think.

Here is a picture and a youtube link.
http://youtu.be/cY4hj77skkA

I want one of those!!! ;D ;D ;D Super nice!!!

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 10:25:42 AM »
Wish they made it in a 14"
JimmyB

Offline bmealer

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 10:46:08 AM »
Been looking at those too.  Very tempting at that price range!
Alesis DM10-X, Remo Silent Stroke mesh heads, 682drums cone conversion, Tama Speed Cobra double pedal, Pork Pie Big Boy Drum Throne, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones, PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL, Studio One Producer, Superior Drummer 2

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 11:03:39 AM »
Wish they made it in a 14"
JimmyB

I would not hesitate to contact him about the possibility. He's quick with responses.
DM10X mesh/foam conversion, Trigger IO, 8 piece, 7 cymbals, Roland Hi-Hat, Laurin Snare, Roland Rim Trigger, Addictive Drummer 2

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 02:40:41 PM »
That's a good idea!
JimmyB

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 08:12:50 PM »
Cool, but why?
DM10X kit, DW-3K double pedal, DW-3K tractor throne, 5AN VF sticks, Simmons DA200S, PS4 Gold headset.
Mods:
Remo silentstroke mesh conversion with 1/4" charcoal layer added on top of plates.
Sounds:
Bluejay in Module & EZdrummer 2 on laptop

Offline Khes74

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 04:35:11 PM »
To increase realism I guess. I mean it probably is cone though so it might be pretty bouncy. Not sure about the heads either.

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »
Cool, but why?

I liked the idea of integrating a custom graphic into my kit and  the look of a deeper snare, so for me it was aesthetics. Also, now I have an extra pad freed up for an additional tom.

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 09:17:50 AM »
Hey guys. Sorry to re-open a older thread but I actually just received my Laurin snare this week.

If any of you are on the fence about ordering one of these, I definitely say go for it. I am currently playing a DM5 Pro set, and after trying out some mesh heads elsewhere, I wanted to at least change my snare. I sent Robert (Laurin) a custom logo, and he sent me a few placement options within one day. I placed the order, and even though he's shipping from Canada, I got the drum in less than a week.

It took a little tweaking to get sensitivty/gain correct, but it really is an excellent feeling drum. I feel like I'm playing faster as opposed to the rubber heads. Strongly considering filling out my toms with the smaller drums.

Offline tk87

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 11:19:13 AM »
Although adding a custom artwork on your snare definitely may attract many e-drummers. For that money, I would get a cheap 14" acoustic snare and do an A2E conversion on it, because that's what laurin snare basically is, and it can be done in less than 100$. For a 12" snare with internal trigger + mesh head, $130 + Shipping seems a bit overpriced. Something to think about.

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 02:05:06 AM »
What I can't believe is that shipping to California is $10,000.... Unless it's some website error or something like that.

Offline Khes74

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 03:21:20 PM »
What I can't believe is that shipping to California is $10,000.... Unless it's some website error or something like that.

I'm sure it is. Shipping should be no more than $150. My estimate would have to be $100. I would contact them about it.

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 09:36:10 AM »
If anyone is wondering... I got one of these on eBay... the build quality is pretty nice.  I got the 12"version, but he offers it in 10" and 14" also.  Robert (Laurin) is a pretty good guy.  Mine came in with issues, and he immediately sent me out repair parts to replace the triggers.  I hate to say anything bad about these, but they so seem to be a little over priced... but it's leaps and bounds cheaper than the Alesis gear and you get personal customer support straight from the man himself.  So that makes a huge difference to me.  If I had to do it over, I'd probably have gone with a set of his drum pads over the alesis crimson off the shelf kit (I should have got a dm-10 for the same price) ... but that has more to do with the module than anything.

Back on topic... I like my snare... it plays nice and crisply... i get solid rolls and fills off of it and after replacing a defecting cone trigger it works great.

As for shipping... I paid a flat $15.  I think that's his standard shipping fee on all gear whether you're ordering a drum or just a trigger kit.

-J

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 09:44:31 AM »
Thought I'd also toss in... you can shop straight from his website if you don't like ebay...  just google laurin drums and it should come up.

I also just confirmed it's flat shipping regardless of how much you order... crazy right?  I got 3 items and it was still only $15.

-John

Offline AlanK

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 10:01:04 AM »
Hi John, so glad to hear you're liking the snare. I'm sure the ebay is just his ebay store which lists the same gear and pricing as his website. I ordered direct from the website. At the time the only 14" drums were some toms that he said were limited but I'm certain you could ask for a 14" snare and he'd do it gladly.. as you said, he's a really decent guy to deal with. I bought a woodgrain snare and kick, both 12".. also had a bit of tweaking to do with the cone placement but I'm sure it was just set for best position using with a Roland or Yamaha module instead of Alesis. He also rushed me out a full trigger replacement kit but I was able to simply move the cone myself and now I've got that spare parts set if I ever need it.

He's a small business, I think he works out of his home or a small shop to keep the costs down. I found the snare to be fairly good price as it was like half the cost to buy an Alesis 12" pad.. and the shipping wasn't too bad.. but the kick drum is just a tom/snare with a mount, and the mount cost a hundred bucks and I thought that was a bit steep for a piece of metal bracketing but it was pretty sturdy and I'm sure it took some work to set up the design, a jig to weld it all together and he's likely got someone hired to do them. If I was doing it again I might try to build something myself for cheaper but I'm sure mine would suck in comparison!

But yeah, they look awesome, they play awesome, and when I was buying the snare and kick I was pricing out his package deal and was tempted to buy a whole set and it would still be cheaper than most whole kits but you need a module and the cymbals and rack.. I do have a double tom stand that I could nicely mount a couple of upper toms, and you could have the same setup for the floor toms, or buy two snare stands, then you wouldn't need a big frame and it would look more like an acoustic setup.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 10:59:05 AM »
I've just read in the frequently asked questions on Laurin's website that the snare isn't supported on Alesis Forge or Crimson. Does anyone know why this would be?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 02:01:38 PM »
I've just read in the frequently asked questions on Laurin's website that the snare isn't supported on Alesis Forge or Crimson. Does anyone know why this would be?

more than likely trigger related..
according to the Alesis forum the Realheads (piezo..reflection plate) should work...
I think the Laurin is cone..

LAURIN
Laurin snares and toms are fully compatible to Roland TD3 to TD30, Roland SPD-SX, Alesis D4 to Dm10, Pintech, Pearl RedBox, Simmons, 2Box DrumIt 5, Yamaha DTXpress and DTX500 to DTX900 modules, and a lot more.

It is unfortunately not compatible to Alesis Forge and Alesis Crimson.
On Alesis and Pearl, a sensitivity of 35 with retrigger of 14 is recommended (Rim sensitivity to 90)

ALESIS FORUM
Can I use my own pads with the Forge module?

While other standard or dual-zone single pads will likely work, the Forge module is configured to respond optimally with the included drum kit.  You could potentially use third-party
standard triggers, however, since other manufacturers design triggers specifically for different drum modules, not all triggers may respond as expected.

Q:But will any of the "RealHead" drum pads work for the module?
And which ones would you recommend me getting
A: Yes, any of the RealHead pads should work just fine with the Forge Kit.

http://community.alesis.com/alesis/topics/alesis-forge-upgrade-help-which-things-are-compatible

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 07:06:19 PM »
Rats, where would that leave me for a replacement snare? I'd like to get a deeper snare and move the crimson snare to the Tom 4 position. The existing snare sits far too low even with the stand as high as it can go.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2016, 09:17:45 AM »
I've got both Laurin and Hart Dynamics snares.. both required some playing with the settings to get them to react well with my DM10, even some re-positioning of the cones. It's possible that even though they say they're not compatible with the Crimson or Forge they may still work. I get totally different response between the Hart snare and the Laurin snare with the same module, but was able to get them to work to my liking.. have no idea how those modules handle the signals but the DM10 worked with adjustments to sensitivity, threshold and retrigger
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 11:33:54 AM »
GREAT NEWS: The Laurin snare and toms were declared compatible to the Alesis CRIMSON module.

The correct module settings for the Laurin pads will be sent to you when you buy the product. 

Enjoy!