Author Topic: getting Nitro to work with Reaper  (Read 2180 times)

getting Nitro to work with Reaper
« on: September 19, 2018, 05:09:18 PM »
Hi all, I am not new to MIDI recording but the only external pads/drums I've used was the Octopad and that was decades ago. I've got the Nitro kit hooked to my Windows 7 PC via USB (a powered USB hub) and 1/4" audio cables. I have a Native Instruments Traktor Audio 6 USB sound module and a small Mackie mixer for routing. I can record and play back soft synths via a keyboard controller in Reaper.

Reaper sees the Nitro in MIDI prefs and I have input and output enabled. I can record MIDI notes with the Nitro but get no sound from Input monitering in Reaper while I'm hitting a pad and/or recording, and no sound when I play back the Reaper recording and listening with headphones. Record Monitering is set to ON in the Reaper track.

The Nitro MIDI is set to LOCAL: ON and GM: OFF. Since USB is two-way, shouldn't the MIDI signal trigger the same sound on the module? Do I have to set each Nitro pad to MIDI channel 10? Do I need to patch the input from Nitro to a drums plugin?

I hope this is intelligible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: getting Nitro to work with Reaper
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 08:32:59 PM »
Or do I need the old style MIDI DIN cables in/out to trigger the Nitro sounds? I want to know for sure before I dole it out. I should be able to record touch, velocity, aftertouch and all those MIDI messages that makes MIDI MIDI, right?