Author Topic: Help me!!!  (Read 1530 times)

Help me!!!
« on: September 16, 2016, 08:25:10 PM »
Hi!! First let me say thanks for letting me be a part of this awesome community. Thanks!!!
 Now, I think you guys have this kind of questions all the time and I'm sorry for that but I need help to decide which drum kit I should buy. My initial budget was 500 but for all the videos and reviews of different kits, I'm open to put 100. or 200.on top of it just to be sure I end up with a good kit. With a 700. budget, Roland and Yamaha are out of the game so Alesis is the brand to go. Right now The Forge and the Command fit very good on my budget but now I came across with the DM10 and now it's really bad to make a decision cause the DM10 has everything that I want on a drum kit. So I have three questions for DM10 owners,
1- Even if I get a new sealed box DM10, I think I'm not buying a new 2016 kit, I think what's on the market is the left overs boxes, if I'm wrong please correct me or if I'm right, The DM10 still competitive with the alesis new line of drums?
2- The DM10 last a reasonable time and the issues if any are fixable?
3- The DM10 Mylar to mesh conversion it's a good deal or is better to go straight to the DM10 mesh?
  Thank you guys and I'm sorry for my ignorance but asking a question can save a lot of $$$

Offline Iggford

Re: Help me!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 12:12:45 AM »
Hi!! First let me say thanks for letting me be a part of this awesome community. Thanks!!!
 Now, I think you guys have this kind of questions all the time and I'm sorry for that but I need help to decide which drum kit I should buy. My initial budget was 500 but for all the videos and reviews of different kits, I'm open to put 100. or 200.on top of it just to be sure I end up with a good kit. With a 700. budget, Roland and Yamaha are out of the game so Alesis is the brand to go. Right now The Forge and the Command fit very good on my budget but now I came across with the DM10 and now it's really bad to make a decision cause the DM10 has everything that I want on a drum kit. So I have three questions for DM10 owners,
1- Even if I get a new sealed box DM10, I think I'm not buying a new 2016 kit, I think what's on the market is the left overs boxes, if I'm wrong please correct me or if I'm right, The DM10 still competitive with the alesis new line of drums?
2- The DM10 last a reasonable time and the issues if any are fixable?
3- The DM10 Mylar to mesh conversion it's a good deal or is better to go straight to the DM10 mesh?
  Thank you guys and I'm sorry for my ignorance but asking a question can save a lot of $$$

First of all, let me start by saying that I'm definitely no expert.  However, I'm a fairly new DM10 user, having bought my DM10 Studio Mesh kit back in February of 2016.  I did a lot of research, and this was an "upgrade" for me from my existing Roland TD-6 kit.  I can answer two of your questions, at least with some opinions in most cases.

1. Strangely enough, when I researched my purchase, and even after I bought my kit, I didn't realize that the DM10 has been around for several years.  I knew that it wasn't a brand new module, but I didn't realize it had been around for as long as it has.  That being said, it is still leaps and bounds above the Roland TD-6 (in my opinion, anyway) that I was using before.  The Crimson is a newer kit, but after trying one out locally, I am really glad I chose the DM10 kit.

2. This is the one that I'm not quite as sure about, as I've only had mine for a few months.  I can see it lasting quite a while, though.

3.  I went straight for the Mesh Kit out of the box.  I almost got the DM10X kit with the Mylar heads, but I knew I would end up with Mesh anyway, as it was one of the primary reasons that I upgraded.  I picked up the Studio Mesh for about the same price as the DM10X, and even though the pads are a bit smaller, and there's no separate snare stand, I'm very happy with it.  I'm in a band that practices twice a week and gigs once or twice a month, so it works out better for me being a little more compact.  It's been a bit of trial-and-error, but I've gotten the transportation part of it down pretty well by now!

So these are mainly opinions based on my limited experience.  Our band is on a break this month due to some travel schedules, so I'm using it to learn the kit a bit more and tweak the sounds to fit my wants and needs.  This site is a wonderful resource for information, as well as some SysEx files that can help point you in the right direction.  I took that plunge a couple days ago for the first time, and I think from what I learned just by studying some settings, I will be able to dial in my sounds to get the exact result I've been looking for.

I hope this was at least somewhat helpful!

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 05:19:21 PM »
Thanks a lot Iggford  I think dm10 mesh kit is the one!!! thanks again!!!!!

Offline Sal

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 03:17:21 PM »
Props to Iggford for some great insight. Keep checking classified sites and ebay for someone unloading their mesh kit. There are deals to be had!
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Offline Iggford

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 03:36:36 PM »
Thanks a lot Iggford  I think dm10 mesh kit is the one!!! thanks again!!!!!

No problem at all!  Good luck in your purchase.  I'm glad I could at least be of some help!

Props to Iggford for some great insight. Keep checking classified sites and ebay for someone unloading their mesh kit. There are deals to be had!

Thanks for the feedback, Sal.  I have to agree, between some of the retailers running sales and ebay, there are definitely ways to get a few dollars off. 

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 10:17:25 AM »
Well!! I finally pulled the trigger and order a DM10 mesh, 779.0 was the final offer on a ebay store!!
Thanks guys!!

Offline Sal

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 02:10:52 PM »
Congrats and happy drumming!
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Offline Iggford

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 03:09:46 PM »
Well!! I finally pulled the trigger and order a DM10 mesh, 779.0 was the final offer on a ebay store!!
Thanks guys!!

That sounds like a great deal!  Hope you enjoy it!