Author Topic: Rubber rims on Alesis RealPads wearing already, suggestions/question  (Read 9991 times)

Offline Rev2010

I've seen a number of people, I think even Hellfire mentioned it if I recall correctly, that the rubber rims wear down incredibly fast. Well, I was testing some sounds triggered from a tom rim and sure enough that thing is already starting to wear. Now, I've read a few people simply take them off. I'm cool with that but have two questions:

1. Do the rims dent from the stick hits at all? They're supposed to be steel so I'd think they'd be ok but am not sure.

2. Does crosstalk increase at all without the rubber rims?

Now, I've had the Roland mesh pads and man oh man that rubber trimming is virtually indestructible, never had to even think about it. Does anyone know if Roland rubber rims from the same size mesh pad will fit? If so I'm sure Roland has a spare parts department. If not I can just order a large batch from Alesis, but it would be cool to not have to think about it.

Rev.

Offline Guinness

Re: Rubber rims on Alesis RealPads wearing already, suggestions/question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 12:11:46 AM »
Replacement Trim?  Yup.

http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=157.0

I play with my rubber rims wore out.  Go through sticks faster, but I don't notice any denting. 

HF plays without, I believe.

The trim is pretty weak imo.  Alesis should definately upgrade that.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 12:29:26 AM by Guinness »

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 12:19:29 AM »
Thanks Guiness. Been Googling it and have seen a few of these suggestions. I guess my top questions now are:

1. Is there risk of denting the rims playing without the rubbber? I mean, acoustic drums are rim shot right on the metal rim anyhow, so any negative effects on the Alesis pads?

2. By any chance would the Roland 8" replacement trims fit on the Alesis pads? (I know the larger ones are bonded to the rim metal rim)

Rev.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 12:33:23 AM »
Since I kinda sorta play it stick to metal, I notice no negative affects.  But really, the better person to ask is someone who plays strickly without the trim.

Did you check out the thread link I posted?  It appears the 'chrome' auto trim might be a good...  and it might look good.

They wear out because it seems as if the metal is not rolled or smoothed like a real drum.  You can feel the sharp edge, so it eats through the rubber trim pdq.

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 01:05:08 AM »
Yep, I checked out the thread, good suggestions but I don't want to use any bonding material to keep the trim on.

I just took a look and you're totally right about that sharp edge. I was just telling the wife, "You know... I should go into business for myself cause all these companies are retarded!". I mean really, does it take much intelligence to realize a sharp metal edge will tear up a rubber trim? Or that 128megs of memory is simply too little to offer for loadable kits when you can include 512-1gb for only a $20 or less price increase? <sigh>

Rev.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 01:28:13 AM »
LOL  ...  agreed.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 01:00:01 PM »
Replacement Trim?  Yup.

http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=157.0

I play with my rubber rims wore out.  Go through sticks faster, but I don't notice any denting. 

HF plays without, I believe.

The trim is pretty weak imo.  Alesis should definately upgrade that.
I do play without the rubber rims. It doesn't hurt the drum in any way. I haven't noticed any cross talk problems so I will say it doesn't effect that. Like acoustic drum rims, it will eat up sticks. ;)

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 01:51:49 AM »
I don't know if the Alesis rims are standard triple-flanged drum rims, but if they are, replace the rim rubber with SilenTrim from Pintech.  It's cheap and is INDESRUCTIBLE.  They sell it by the foot.  Thick enough to be virtually silent too.

Jer
Taye GoKit with Pintech trigger conversions, Hart mesh heads, Zildjian Gen16 AE cymbals, Pintech Nimrods, and various and ever-changing accessories

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 09:05:34 AM »
Didn't see it listed by the foot but their sales page here:

http://www.pintechworld.com/shop/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=42

lists the 8" rim at $18! :o  Waaay too much money for a rubber rim. Alesis says the pads are standard triple flanged.

Rev.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 09:45:55 AM »
Just an FYI, you guys can use 3/16" or 1/4" fuel line as replacement rubber rims and it should last longer. You just need to split the fuel line to fit over the rims. This is a DIY trick that works really well.

I found that 3/16" pneumatic air tool hose works well too.

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 09:46:04 AM »
When I dealt with them I was calling by phone and buying directly- perhaps I was getting a "good guy" discount.  I am certain I paid less than that!  I remember buying rubber for my entire pad kit at one point, which was 5 drums' worth... I forget the cost, but I remember thinking it was reasonable.

If anyone is interested, you should probably call by phone.

Jer
Taye GoKit with Pintech trigger conversions, Hart mesh heads, Zildjian Gen16 AE cymbals, Pintech Nimrods, and various and ever-changing accessories

Offline gorgatron

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 01:33:15 AM »
i know this is old, but wanted to throw this in...

i converted a 14" acoustic shell recently, an was having trouble finding rim rubber for that size. not sure where you're located, but i was able to find a third-party ring manufacturer out of Arizona/New Mexico. they were kind of pricey, i thought, but not absurdly so. i think i paid about $15 + Shipping for the 14" model. they are handmade and very good quality - a little thicker than the stock rim covers provided by Alesis. The company calls them 'Rim Condoms.' not sure if other users here have used them, or what their experience has been, but mine is great.

i realize that this may be too little, too late, but wanted to mention it, in case others find this thread in a search. if you're doing just a few rims, or smaller rims, at a time, the cost seems fair, for the most part. however, it also dawned on me that you could probably make the same rim covers at home for little money, so long as you know aht you're doing.
Alesis DM10 Studio - modified Trondster dampened rack, Hellfire mesh head conversion on toms and kick, converted 1971 14" Ludwig 303 snare w/ aluminum shell - cone + rim piezo conversion; alternate between Stock and Blue Jay Roms, BFD2, Reaper, Reason 6.5