Author Topic: Drumming Newb, pretty experienced at everything else  (Read 2628 times)

Drumming Newb, pretty experienced at everything else
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:40:47 AM »
For some reason I just got into this drumming thing.
Everybody keeps telling me how fun it is to play drums, I am looking forward to that, as of right now it is a lot of frustrating work.

http://www.pbase.com/spiked3/dm10

Offline Hellfire

Re: Drumming Newb, pretty experienced at everything else
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 10:52:49 AM »
Welcome aboard! Those pictures look like a lot of fun. :)

Offline Pier

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 11:20:47 AM »
Welcome here! Also, compliments for your DM10 Studio Kit -- I hope that mine will be here soon, so we can maybe share experiences and impressions of use.
And, if they say that drumming is a lot of fun... trust 'em !!!  ;)

Offline eugenecp

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 12:35:42 PM »
welcome spiked!
DM10 Pro Kit, Tama Iron Cobra Jr Double Bass Pedal, Tama 1st Chair HT530E5, Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface

Offline H3RB

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 09:02:42 PM »
welcome. just looked at your pics. wish i had that much room around my kit lol im crammed in the corner of a kitchen and damnnnn you cymbals are high :o im 6ft6 even i had trouble hitting mine at full height had to drop them down and lean them forward feels much better now tho. if you've just started drumming try to make everything as easy to reach as possible being able to reach everything with just small movements will help you fly around the kit ;D

Offline Guinness

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 11:14:26 PM »
welcome, and thanks for sharing the pics!

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 12:38:57 PM »
damnnnn you cymbals are high :o im 6ft6 even i had trouble hitting mine at full height had to drop them down and lean them forward feels much better now tho. if you've just started drumming try to make everything as easy to reach as possible being able to reach everything with just small movements will help you fly around the kit ;D
That pic was probably after tightening the last screw and before any adjustments. I ended up flipping most mounts and I have everything where I am comfortable reaching it - but I do have a related question; As i go through suggested practice exercises I am ok up until the point where I need to play kick and hihat foot pedal. Basically I can not keep my balance with 2 feet off the floor.  Is that normal and just something to overcome or do I need to get a better seat? I have a Pacific 700 series. It feels ok sturdy wise, but I am a pretty big guy width wise. The Alesis hihat pedal is not the most responsive feeling pedal to me and I have to put a lot of intentional motion into it, and like I said, I end up falling forward when both feet come off the ground for kick and hihat pedal at the same time.
I am thinking of the Gilbratar large motorcycle style throne, in fact I tried to order it twice today but musicians friend's web site shopping stuff is screwed up at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:45:13 PM by Spiked »

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 12:42:39 PM »
BTW, the last pic is a quick and dirty panorama and is a little deceiving - all that stuff is crammed into a 12X12 room.  It would be comfortable for a 2 people, and a third could stand outside of the room (kinda where the camera is).  In the panorama, imagine the first and third wall facing each other.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 01:36:31 PM »
Interesting question about balance.

You should be able to sit and raise either foot off the floor and not lose balance.   At least that's what I'd think.   If a better throne helps, get it.  :)

Offline H3RB

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 02:09:08 PM »
try a throne with a back rest atleast then if you take both feet off you can use the back rest for support