Author Topic: Crimson vs DM10 studio / DM10X  (Read 10450 times)

Crimson vs DM10 studio / DM10X
« on: February 01, 2017, 12:18:49 AM »
So... I'm about to own my first electronic drum kit. I played the new Crimson kit in a store and kinda liked it but most online reviews don't leave me feeling warm and fuzzy. For that reason I started a search for a used DM10. Even though I really wanted the bigger sized DM10 X kit, I'm about to pull the trigger on purchasing a practically new, barely played DM10 Studio kit for $550. I ran across a guy who thought he would learn to play drums several months ago but found he hates it :-) go figure... anyway I'm getting a sweet deal - well, I hope!

I also want to ditch the mylar heads right away (with the assumption that the kit will then feel more like the crimson or even a roland) So I googled and found out about the Drum-Tech mesh mod kits. I'm wondering though if there are other mod kits made in the US (cheaper and quicker to ship) that would be as recommended as the Drum-Tech...

Thanks in advance for insight!

G

Re: Crimson vs DM10 studio / DM10X
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 08:18:31 AM »
I just want to chime in and say the Crimson kit is awesome!  I'm only on my second e-kit ever, but my first was the Alesis DM10 Studio and now i own a Crimson Mesh Kit...my honest opinion is the Crimson kit is worth every penny and more thus far.  I'm still "green" when it comes to programming sounds and manipulating triggers, etc., but for the basics so far i would have given up my studio kit for the crimson any day.  From the ease-of-use with the module to the general feel of play on the heads, great rack system, and freestanding snare....make a great kit.  My only negatives thoughts are i wish i had a bigger kick for my double pedal and another 10" Pad for a "floor" tom. 

Good luck with whatever you decide i'm sure you'll have a blast

Offline ap

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 10:57:07 AM »
Re: mesh head conversion

You can find a lot of advice on different kinds of mesh head conversions and 3rd party options on the "Do-It-Yourself or DIY" forum. http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?board=8.0

The option I went with is http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=6794.0

But there are many other good choices.

You might need to search for "mesh head conversion" to pare down the list.

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 11:29:05 AM »
+1 for the Crimson.

I have the Crimson kit as well as a DM10 module and have to say that the Crimson module, whilst it has a reduced feature set and probably fewer samples, works really well right out of the box and if you're a newbie to e-Drums, you will find it easier to operate. Hardware wise, the DM10 Studio's snare is mounted on to the main rack and the Crimson has its own stand. This eliminates cross talk to and from the snare, which will most like be your most used pad.

Personally, I find the DM10 requires too much work to get it sounding good. Just my two cents but personally, I'd go for a Crimson with a warranty rather than the discontinued DM10 without one.

Put it this way, I started off wanting a DM10 X kit, ended up getting a Crimson because the DM10 got discontinued and I couldn't find any stock anywhere and the more I learn about both, the more I think I actually got the better kit with the Crimson :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 11:34:21 AM by Failed Muso »
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 03:38:11 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! While this is my first kit that I'm purchasing for myself it's not my first experience with e-kits. I'm a studio guy and have used various electronic kits, brains and parts over the years. I'm not overly concerned about the modules or the sounds because I will be mostly playing samplers and vst's and stuff in my DAW...

My main apprehension regarding the Crimson kit is that I've read too many reviews citing that the module crashes often... that would be completely unacceptable for me - even more so if I were gigging with the kit.

Any of you experienced that? Be honest! LOL! I really need to know...

G
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:41:27 PM by geo316 »

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 06:30:18 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! While this is my first kit that I'm purchasing for myself it's not my first experience with e-kits. I'm a studio guy and have used various electronic kits, brains and parts over the years. I'm not overly concerned about the modules or the sounds because I will be mostly playing samplers and vst's and stuff in my DAW...

My main apprehension regarding the Crimson kit is that I've read too many reviews citing that the module crashes often... that would be completely unacceptable for me - even more so if I were gigging with the kit.

Any of you experienced that? Be honest! LOL! I really need to know...

G

I've had my Crimson since October last year and haven't experienced a single system crash.

I too use it more with a laptop running Superior Drummer 2 and it works flawlessly with that. I did and A/B test between the Crimson, DM10 and SD2 (maybe that's an A/B/C test?) and SD2 naturally came out on top, but to my ears, the Crimson acoustic kit sounded better than the DM10. Both modules were running the factory defaults so I'm sure with some significant tweaking, the DM10 could be as good or better, but honestly speaking, I've had more trouble with my DM10 than I have the Crimson.
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 01:52:06 PM »
ahhh... the difference a day makes!

This morning I ran across a Crimson kit on a music store's website that was a very recent customer return... the store wanted 699 for it. After grilling the sales guy about it I didnt even pause to think - I JUST BOUGHT IT!

It was out of state so it is being shipped to me, I'll get it next week.

Hey Failed Muso, what you said definately influenced my decision - so if I hate the kit I'm coming after you! LOL... :-)

G

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 07:54:08 PM »
ahhh... the difference a day makes!

This morning I ran across a Crimson kit on a music store's website that was a very recent customer return... the store wanted 699 for it. After grilling the sales guy about it I didnt even pause to think - I JUST BOUGHT IT!

It was out of state so it is being shipped to me, I'll get it next week.

Hey Failed Muso, what you said definitely influenced my decision - so if I hate the kit I'm coming after you! LOL... :-)

G

Haha! Well, I'm all the way over in the UK, so I think I'm safe!! ;)

Seriously tho', I think you'll be happy with it. I've really enjoyed playing again and it's a huge step up from my old e-Drum kit (Yamaha DTXpress).

I'd had my heart set on a DM10 ever since they came into existence. I was involved in the compilation of the sample library for the DM10 module and had promised myself the full kit as soon as it launched. I sold off loads of synths and other gear to finance it, only for my car to fail it's annual government roadworthiness test and require enough work to wipe out my accumulated cash :(

With one thing or another, the purchase got delayed for a very long time until a few years ago when me and the guys in a band I used to play in some 30 years ago got back together in a bar and said we should all play together again. At that point, I decided that the time was right, but then life got in the way and the reunion never happened, so I saved my money. Then in March of 2016, one of the guys was tragically killed in a car accident and the remainder of us decided that we had no choice but to get back together and play again. So we made plans and in October I decided on the DM10 X kit and began ringing around. It turned out that nowhere in the UK had stock and when I called the distributor (inMusic), they informed me it had been discontinued. Not having enough cash for a mesh-headed Roland kit, my only other option was the Crimson.

The reason I'm telling you this story is that initially, I felt I had been forced into a compromise and that the Crimson would just be 2nd fiddle to the DM10 X. Well, the more I've played it and the more I've used the DM10 module, successfully and unsuccessfully, the more I realise that the Crimson was probably the better choice. For me, anyway.

Little things like decent cymbal chokes that "just work" on the Crimson but not so much on the DM10. Sure, the Crimson module is more basic than the DM10, but the DM10 is older and just not that intuitive. And if, as you say, you'll be using plugins more than the module, then you'll be fine. One thing I also liked was that my Crimson came with the RealHat pedal which, when used with plugins like SD2, delivers continuous messaging to enable more authentic hi-hat operation, unlike the DMHat pedal. The Crimson module won't make use of that feature on its own sound engine but it definitely passes that data through over MIDI.

And as I said, I've had no stability issues, nor was I aware of any before you mentioned it.

I really hope you enjoy the kit and have hours of fun with it! :)

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 01:07:20 PM »
Congrats on the purchase!

Loving my Crimson after 1 month. First ever drum kit!
A2E 5-piece | Bum Wrap Drum Co maple burl wrap | Jobeky & UFO triggers | Drum-Tec real feel heads | Strike module | VH-11 + Strike cymbals | EZD2 + EZXs

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 12:12:24 AM »
...got it yesterday! Breeze to set up - even though the kit was used and came without a manual. Took me under an hour to piece it together, adjust angles and height, tension up the heads and learn to navigate through the brain.

Thanks once again to you all for the recommendation.

G

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 09:44:57 AM »
...got it yesterday! Breeze to set up - even though the kit was used and came without a manual. Took me under an hour to piece it together, adjust angles and height, tension up the heads and learn to navigate through the brain.

Thanks once again to you all for the recommendation.

G

Have fun!!

Notice the Korg 01/W there. Did you know the story of how it came to be known as the 01/W? It was supposed to be called the M10, as it was a step up up from the legendary M1 workstation. But when one of the Korg head honcho's walked in and saw the keyboard from the rear, he read M10 as 01W and referred to it as such from there on in. Unwilling to disrespect their superior, the team just went with the name ;) True story!

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 12:33:52 PM »
By the way, right before I snapped the picture I added an additional e-cymbal that I had laying around in my basement. It increased the fun tremendously. I was happy to see the two extra pad inputs on the back.

Loved the story about your band Failed Muso - so have you gigged with your kit yet? If so what are your experiences?

Notice the Korg 01/W there. Did you know the story of how it came to be known as the 01/W?

Yeah I heard that 01W story! LOl! I still love that keyboard after all these decades. Except for my new kit and my computer my music room looks more like a museum than a modern studio lol... in fact if you look through my vst's and samples on my computer you'll see mostly vintage instruments there too! Guess it's to be expected, I'm just a vintage guy... 8)

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 12:55:35 PM »
By the way, right before I snapped the picture I added an additional e-cymbal that I had laying around in my basement. It increased the fun tremendously. I was happy to see the two extra pad inputs on the back.

Yeah, I used two old Yamaha cymbal pads to give me a splash and an extra crash :)

Loved the story about your band Failed Muso - so have you gigged with your kit yet? If so what are your experiences?

We're currently rehearsing and the gig is due at the end of March, but we've done some full set run throughs and the kit held up perfectly :)

Yeah I heard that 01W story! LOl! I still love that keyboard after all these decades. Except for my new kit and my computer my music room looks more like a museum than a modern studio lol... in fact if you look through my vst's and samples on my computer you'll see mostly vintage instruments there too! Guess it's to be expected, I'm just a vintage guy... 8)

Ditto! I've got the Arturia Legacy Collection 5 along with a bunch of GForce instruments and the Korg Legacy stuff too. And of course I have my vintage hardware, including 3 Fairlight CMI's :)

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 08:09:45 PM »
Ditto! I've got the Arturia Legacy Collection 5 along with a bunch of GForce instruments and the Korg Legacy stuff too. And of course I have my vintage hardware, including 3 Fairlight CMI's :)

I'd be impressed (and jealous!) if you told me you had ONE Fairlight! But three?? Whoa! lol... if you lived in New Jersey you'd be my best friend for sure;-)

I know this conversation is getting away from Alesis kits - but funny, I was listening to Thomas Dolby's Golden Age of Wireless several weeks ago and reminiscing about the Fairlight. That album reeks of that low bit rate sound and "Page R" feel! Fairlights are sonically inferior and predictable by today's standards, but man - that sound still moved me!

Back in the eighties I met a group of people in New York that had one. They actually taught folks how to use it and offered it for rent (they were like 30 grand back then). I should have gotten in with those people but didn't because I was busy getting proficient on all the cheap samplers, synths and drum machines coming out at that time... I kinda regret it still. Fairlights were (are) very cool...

So do tell...how and why do you have three? Are they model 1's, 2's or 3's?

g
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 08:14:34 PM by geo316 »

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 08:43:51 AM »
I know most of you say to go with the Crimson kit, but I have a really good deal on a DM10 studio kit.  Would the DM10 still be somewhat good?

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 01:59:43 PM »

I'd be impressed (and jealous!) if you told me you had ONE Fairlight! But three?? Whoa! lol... if you lived in New Jersey you'd be my best friend for sure;-)

I know this conversation is getting away from Alesis kits - but funny, I was listening to Thomas Dolby's Golden Age of Wireless several weeks ago and reminiscing about the Fairlight. That album reeks of that low bit rate sound and "Page R" feel! Fairlights are sonically inferior and predictable by today's standards, but man - that sound still moved me!

Back in the eighties I met a group of people in New York that had one. They actually taught folks how to use it and offered it for rent (they were like 30 grand back then). I should have gotten in with those people but didn't because I was busy getting proficient on all the cheap samplers, synths and drum machines coming out at that time... I kinda regret it still. Fairlights were (are) very cool...

So do tell...how and why do you have three? Are they model 1's, 2's or 3's?

g

I have one Series IIx and two Series III's. They're all restoration jobs with the IIx and one of the III's in need of some serious TLC, but they're all fully functioning. The other Series III used to belong to Ian Stanley of Tears For Fears and was acquired from the studios of Chris 'Merrick' Hughes, who was, amongst many other things, the producer for Tears For Fears and drummer with Adam And The Ants. I've done quite a bit of work on this one and it's almost done. It will most likely get sold to the highest bidder and then I want to get the IIx into showroom condition. They were the best and most fun of all the Fairlight's.

I'm a huge Dolby fan too. He used to live just down the road from me on the Suffolk coast. He now lectures at the John Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD.

I've been deeply into Fairlight's since the early 80s and am privileged to count one of its inventors, Peter Vogel, as a personal friend. I did some work for him on his iOS app some years ago too.

I've attached a pic of the Ian Stanley/TFF Series III and the other two in my garage ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 02:05:46 PM by Failed Muso »

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 02:04:11 PM »
I know most of you say to go with the Crimson kit, but I have a really good deal on a DM10 studio kit.  Would the DM10 still be somewhat good?

Of course! The DM10 is a great kit and if you have the chance of a great deal on one, then go for it. The DM10 module is a fair few years old now and has some quirks, most of which can be worked around. The Crimson module is less flexible but sounds great and is really easy to use. As for the pads, the Crimson pads look nicer, but are, essentially, the same. Some DM10 pads don't have the pad sensitivity adjustment knobs, depending on your geographical location. The Crimson all seem to have them. Also, the DM10 has been discontinued so will not be developed any further.

Hope that helps? :)

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 02:10:22 PM »
This is my Crimson set up, by the way...

Offline rhysT

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 02:37:10 PM »

Based on other comments here, if this will be your first edrum kit and you don't want to be tweaking its instrument sounds too much, I'd suggest getting the Crimson kit.

I've done a shite-load of fine tuning to my DM10 module to get the kits sounding better, but it's time consuming to save them separately for sharing (with DM-Editor). So to try my revised kits you would have to replace all the original DM10 kits plus any of your own custom ones.

Btw, welcome and good luck with whatever kit you get.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 02:54:33 PM by rhysT »

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2017, 05:11:09 PM »
Yeah, I can get it for around 750$ Canadian, brand new.  So I think it's a pretty good deal.  It will be my first e-drum but not my first drum.  Also my DIY skills are not bad either, I repair dental equipment for work, so I think I should be good ;)

Just got on this forum to get info about mods and settings, very reliable forum. Thank you all for the info. 

Of course! The DM10 is a great kit and if you have the chance of a great deal on one, then go for it. The DM10 module is a fair few years old now and has some quirks, most of which can be worked around. The Crimson module is less flexible but sounds great and is really easy to use. As for the pads, the Crimson pads look nicer, but are, essentially, the same. Some DM10 pads don't have the pad sensitivity adjustment knobs, depending on your geographical location. The Crimson all seem to have them. Also, the DM10 has been discontinued so will not be developed any further.

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 07:47:55 PM »
It will most likely get sold to the highest bidder and then I want to get the IIx into showroom condition.

Well let this record show me as being the first to bid - $50 bucks (if there are no other serious bids let me know and I'll send shipping instructions).  ;D

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 08:42:08 PM »
Yeah, I can get it for around 750$ Canadian, brand new.  So I think it's a pretty good deal.  It will be my first e-drum but not my first drum.  Also my DIY skills are not bad either, I repair dental equipment for work, so I think I should be good ;)

Just got on this forum to get info about mods and settings, very reliable forum. Thank you all for the info. 

This thread is my journey - as you can see I was about to snap up a DM10 when I found a used Crimson. While I never got to experience the DM10 (other than about 10 minutes in a music store many years ago) my research and the conversations here brought me to these conclusions:

• I was very concerned about the mylar heads... while they can be replaced with mesh it does add to the price enough to put you back in the range of a Crimson Kit. If the DM10 kit you are looking at has mylar I feel that it's inferior to the Crimson. If mesh, then the price would be great and I'd go for it. For me playability is more important than sounds.
  • Regarding sounds, both are just OK in my opinion. I watched a zillion audio and video demos, and now have explored the Crimson extensively - but my goal is to trigger other stuff. I wish Alesis would offer individual audio outs - or group outs so that at least some of the internal sounds can be processed externally. That in my opinion would allow the kits to sound much better. More internal parameters to tweak doesn't necessarily mean you can get it to sound good. Still I'm convinced that even though a DM10 may have more, the Crimson has more than enough internal snares, kicks, cymbals and such to easily put together a few great "go to" kits... unless you really need more fake 808 and simmons sounding Hip Hop kits or a bigger assortment of tablas and weird chimey things ;-)
  • As mentioned the DM10 is discontinued. Warranties are great - especially when you are basically beating the tar out of your instrument...not meaning abuse, but by nature it will take a pounding. A used kit can already be pounded half to death.
  • Also as mentioned the Crimson is very easy to understand and operate. I've been a tweaker and a fixer all my life. Its good to not have to though. Wouldn't you rather spend hours playing music rather than stepping through pages of parameters? My used kit came with no manual. Set up was easy and I figured out the module in about 5 minutes. I recall using Alesis products in the past and don't remember them being as intuitive as the Crimson module.

Bottom line though - if I didn't find a deal on a gently used Crimson I would have bought a DM10 X or studio in a heartbeat. However if budget weren't an issue I would have bought a new Crimson straightaway - or ponied up 500 or so more for the Strike kit (though that brings you into Roland territory). Hope all that didn't add too much noise to your research!

George

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 08:48:24 PM by geo316 »

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 04:38:51 AM »
It will most likely get sold to the highest bidder and then I want to get the IIx into showroom condition.

Well let this record show me as being the first to bid - $50 bucks (if there are no other serious bids let me know and I'll send shipping instructions).  ;D

Noted ;)

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 09:14:33 AM »

This thread is my journey - as you can see I was about to snap up a DM10 when I found a used Crimson. While I never got to experience the DM10 (other than about 10 minutes in a music store many years ago) my research and the conversations here brought me to these conclusions:

• I was very concerned about the mylar heads... while they can be replaced with mesh it does add to the price enough to put you back in the range of a Crimson Kit. If the DM10 kit you are looking at has mylar I feel that it's inferior to the Crimson. If mesh, then the price would be great and I'd go for it. For me playability is more important than sounds.
  • Regarding sounds, both are just OK in my opinion. I watched a zillion audio and video demos, and now have explored the Crimson extensively - but my goal is to trigger other stuff. I wish Alesis would offer individual audio outs - or group outs so that at least some of the internal sounds can be processed externally. That in my opinion would allow the kits to sound much better. More internal parameters to tweak doesn't necessarily mean you can get it to sound good. Still I'm convinced that even though a DM10 may have more, the Crimson has more than enough internal snares, kicks, cymbals and such to easily put together a few great "go to" kits... unless you really need more fake 808 and simmons sounding Hip Hop kits or a bigger assortment of tablas and weird chimey things ;-)
  • As mentioned the DM10 is discontinued. Warranties are great - especially when you are basically beating the tar out of your instrument...not meaning abuse, but by nature it will take a pounding. A used kit can already be pounded half to death.
  • Also as mentioned the Crimson is very easy to understand and operate. I've been a tweaker and a fixer all my life. Its good to not have to though. Wouldn't you rather spend hours playing music rather than stepping through pages of parameters? My used kit came with no manual. Set up was easy and I figured out the module in about 5 minutes. I recall using Alesis products in the past and don't remember them being as intuitive as the Crimson module.

Bottom line though - if I didn't find a deal on a gently used Crimson I would have bought a DM10 X or studio in a heartbeat. However if budget weren't an issue I would have bought a new Crimson straightaway - or ponied up 500 or so more for the Strike kit (though that brings you into Roland territory). Hope all that didn't add too much noise to your research!

George

Here the Crimson would cost me 1299$ + taxes, as for the DM10 kit, I can get it for 750 or 760$ + taxes.  And the DM10 is brand new, never used.

I tried a Crimson kit in a store and while it is nice,  I find the number of pads and cymbals lacking and the module too simple for my taste ;) .  As for the mesh heads, I already bought a set and it cost around 60$ canadian so it doesn't not add much to the price compared to buying a new Crimson and I will do the mod myself.  As for setup, I'm already reading the DM module manual, and the kit will be plugged in my computer with EZDrummer.

But thanks for your input, it is really appreciated

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 02:28:31 PM »
Here the Crimson would cost me 1299$ + taxes, as for the DM10 kit, I can get it for 750 or 760$ + taxes.  And the DM10 is brand new, never used.

I agree there! DM10 makes more financial sense...

I find the number of pads and cymbals lacking

Crimson does have two additional pad inputs for what that's worth

and the module too simple for my taste ;) .

If I were using the kit live relying on the internal sounds I'd rather have the tweakability too... but if you are using EZ Drummer you'll probably find that most of your tweaking is best done in the app and in your DAW. All the module needs to do is spit out midi notes! ;-)

But thanks for your input, it is really appreciated

Best of luck! YW!