Author Topic: Three zone cymbal pad in the Forge and Command module.  (Read 4405 times)

Three zone cymbal pad in the Forge and Command module.
« on: February 26, 2017, 04:00:16 PM »
Hello.

I am a new user in the forum (Brazilian - sorry for bad english) but very old with electronic batteries.
My question is whether anyone has already figured out where the difference between the Forge, Command and Crimson modules is in relation to the cymbal ride. Is this difference in the cable or is it really a firmware that changes the shots? For the sounds are there, in all three modules. Why does only the Crimson module trigger these sounds with the main cable?

I appreciate if someone has already discovered this because I want to buy the Forge kit and add a cymbal ride pad of three zones.

Thanks

Offline Chaser

Re: Three zone cymbal pad in the Forge and Command module.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »
Hello.

I am a new user in the forum (Brazilian - sorry for bad english) but very old with electronic batteries.
My question is whether anyone has already figured out where the difference between the Forge, Command and Crimson modules is in relation to the cymbal ride. Is this difference in the cable or is it really a firmware that changes the shots? For the sounds are there, in all three modules. Why does only the Crimson module trigger these sounds with the main cable?

I appreciate if someone has already discovered this because I want to buy the Forge kit and add a cymbal ride pad of three zones.

Thanks

The Crimson kit ...  "14” three-zone ride"
The Forge and Command Kits ... "10" ride cymbal with choke" (single zone + choke)

Speculation that Alesis would have different firmware for each module...I think they may just have a different cable/snake/ harness for each kit .

The Forge Kit is only single zones for the Toms,while the Crimson is all dual zone...

Maybe someone who has a Forge kit can check the cable/snake/harness and see if it's TRS or TS..for the Toms .
If the Forge harness is TRS then it's a hardware limitation.(such as the single zone toms)

EDIT:
added an example of Alesis doing this in the past which was with the DM6...the module was the same for all the kits but had multiple harnesses available for different kit configurations.

http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=4013.0

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:30:14 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 04:58:53 PM »
That's right, Chaser.
Let's wait for someone to post this information from the cables. My hope is that it is a hardware limitation (cables).

Thank you

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 05:46:18 PM »
Hi there,

I have the Forge kit (a whole week now!) and all of the cables are TRS. However I swapped a tom cable into the (2-zone) snare pad and the tom only registers as a single zone. Not sure if this helps...

Brad

Offline Chaser

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 06:58:12 PM »
Hi there,

I have the Forge kit (a whole week now!) and all of the cables are TRS. However I swapped a tom cable into the (2-zone) snare pad and the tom only registers as a single zone. Not sure if this helps...

Brad

Thanks Brad !..It is helpful.That would mean all 3 kit's with that module have the TRS harness as the Command, Crimson are listed as dual zone...while the Forge is mainly single zone

You tried the snare using the tom cable into the snare and it was only 1 zone?..or the snare cable into the tom?
The toms on the Forge are listed as single zone so no rim.
According to all 3 user guides (Forge,Command,Crimson)....the kits (pg 58) and the midi note assignments chart (pg 59)  list rim and edge zones.. and are all identical.
All the modules descriptions show the (2) 1/4"(6.35mm) expansions as TS..(crash2..and  tom4.)

:)

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 03:18:50 AM »
Hi Chaser,

I swapped the cables. Tom 1 cable into snare and snare cable into tom 1. When I struck either the snare pad or the rim in that configuration it registered as tom 1. Striking tom 1 pad just registered as snare; since the pad is single zone I would assume that is expected?

Brad

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 10:27:40 AM »
Hi.

OK JohnnyGonner, it's not a cable limitation as you've come to realize.
Interesting that the internal notes (midi) are there, how does it not come out sound?
So is it a limitation on the system (firmware)?

Thank you for your information.

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 02:33:18 AM »
Hi Mauro,

No problem. With the swapped cables, the snare, snare rim, and tom 1 all produced sound. It's just that the snare and rim produced the same (tom 1) sound when the tom 1 cable was plugged into it even though it is a TRS cable. It makes sense that it is all in the firmware. Hmm, maybe a low cost upgrade by Alesis using firmware instead of having to upgrade a module when the time comes? <grin!, hint-hint!>

Brad

Offline Chaser

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 03:54:13 PM »
According to a response on the Alesis forum on Forge upgrades.. the firmware for each module is different.

This from Alesis support:

Thank you for reaching out to us. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you!
We do not provide internal schematics for our products to the public but you are correct in thinking that these units module are differed by the firmware that is loaded into them during manufacturing. Not all modules will respond the exact same to each of the kits you have mentioned.

This setup is not officially supported, but it may work, as the cable snake for each model is the same but due to the firmware loaded into the module for the Forge kit, there may be difficulties with this deck being able to read a dual zone Tom pad.

The firmware within the command kit is designed so that this module can read both mesh and rubber pads, where the firmware for the forge kit does not have this feature.

http://community.alesis.com/alesis/topics/can-you-clearly-explain-the-differences-in-the-control-module-for-forge-command-crimson