Author Topic: Pre [v06] firmware for DM6 rollback ***FIXED***  (Read 3597 times)

Pre [v06] firmware for DM6 rollback ***FIXED***
« on: January 12, 2016, 11:10:54 AM »
Hi all,

Recently, I upgraded my Medeli DD501 with the latest Alesis DM6 firmware [v06].
I applied the official firmware prior to installing the 501 patch http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=86.0.
I didn't realise that I only had to upload the patch and not the official firmware.
As a result, the unit's volume has not increased and I still have the hi hat latency issue.

I was wondering if anyone had an older version of the Alesis DM6 firware that I could use please?
It doesn't matter which version, as long as it is prior to [v06].
I figure I should be able to rollback the firmware and then apply the patch.
Fingers crossed, it might work.

Any help you could offer will be most appreciated.

*** FIXED ***
After a few days hunting around the internets, I found an archive for the original [v05] firmware for the DM6.
Not sure if anyone will ever need this again :P but here is the link anyways:
http://moserclan.ddns.net/DRIVERS/ALESIS/
I was able to rollback to version 5 and then apply the DD501 [v06] fix = all good  ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 10:13:12 PM by flangelap »

Offline Chaser

Re: Pre [v06] firmware for DM6 rollback
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 01:59:47 PM »
I went back through the internet archives and the "DM6 Kit" was introduced in 2009.There were no downloads other than the manuals/documentation available until Dec,2009 when v.05 was released.
Unfortunately you'll get stuck on the download link as it requires a registration process.
http://web.archive.org/web/20100414120122/http://www.alesis.com/dm6kit?tt=5

The legacy products pages were put back up around a month or so ago , but they only show the current v.06 which came out in 2012
http://community.alesis.com/alesis/topics/alesis-legacy-product-pages-are-up-and-running

You might try contacting Alesis Support.I wouldn't mention the fact it's for a Medeli DD501 , but instead for a DM6 as you might not get a response.
You may get lucky and maybe someone has kept a 6 year old update on their computer.

Have you contacted Medeli to see if you can get the original firmware?

Re: Pre [v06] firmware for DM6 rollback
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 09:45:22 PM »
Thanks for your help, Chaser.

I have contacted both Medeli and Alesis (I told them I had the DM6) but I am stilling waiting a reply.
I'm not holding my breath anytime soon.
Shame about the first link needing the login - the file is actually there!
I think my best chance is if someone actually has a copy of the file on their system :(

I really appreciate you looking into this for me.

Re: Pre [v06] firmware for DM6 rollback ***FIXED***
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 06:27:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have a working link or copy of the original [v05] firmware for the DM6 they could upload?

Thank you!

Offline Chaser

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 07:05:03 PM »
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have a working link or copy of the original [v05] firmware for the DM6 they could upload?

Thank you!

I was able to find it after flangelap posted that link...I was unaware it is no longer valid..
this is the actual Alesis zip file... includes the pdf...the updater..and the DAT file..

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 08:16:09 PM »
@Chaser You are a star, thanks so much :)

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 08:58:08 PM »
Oh well, sadly the patch for the Medelli DD-501 didn't work out for me. (501 patch http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=86.0.)
It left me with a garbled message on the display of the DM6 module after restarting it, so I had to revert back to the DM6 firmware.
Maybe I was misunderstanding its purpose as I have a DD-501 kit attached to a DM6 Module?

If it's not too off topic : does anyone know why the DD-501 hi hat pedal doesn't seem to work with my new DM6 module? (or any ideas for a way to make it function?)
It seems to be using a stereo connector if that's a possible cause? If anyone has any info on the difference between the Medelli and Alesis versions it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 10:25:35 PM »
Oh well, sadly the patch for the Medelli DD-501 didn't work out for me. (501 patch http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=86.0.)
It left me with a garbled message on the display of the DM6 module after restarting it, so I had to revert back to the DM6 firmware.
Maybe I was misunderstanding its purpose as I have a DD-501 kit attached to a DM6 Module?

If it's not too off topic : does anyone know why the DD-501 hi hat pedal doesn't seem to work with my new DM6 module? (or any ideas for a way to make it function?)
It seems to be using a stereo connector if that's a possible cause? If anyone has any info on the difference between the Medelli and Alesis versions it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The cable is stereo (pg6 )...I attached a DD501 (AW-DD501) Use this manual (more in depth) as the Alesis "user guides"..aren't much for anything.
the pedal shown in the DD501 manual (flame) ..looks the same as the one I received with the DM6's I had years ago.
same as a DMHat
Have you tried a factory reset?...and reapplied the patch..was the snare the issue you had to begin with?..or the Hi hat issue.?.
what "doesn't seem to work" on the pedal?..I show 4 sounds..open..closed..foot closed and splash..

I believe the Hi-hat didn't work with the Medeli kits etc using the DM6  V.05(fixed the snare)...then the repair was released for the DD501/506..then Alesis released the V.06.
Did the DM6 module already have v.06 in it when you went back to v.05 and applied the fix/repair?

You could try reset and then V.06

To return the DM6 module to its original settings, hold
down  VALUE  +  and  VALUE  –  simultaneously  while 
turning  on  the  module.    This  will  restore  its  factory 
settings.(include voice, volume setting).

« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 10:30:19 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 11:54:20 AM »
Thanks for your help and info.
I should of been more specific in describing the problem.
I'm trying to replace the drum module on the Medeli Kit with the Alesis DM6 module.
The Medeli 'Brain' was working fine apart from the USB functionality. (It looked like the port had broken away from the board)
All of the kit trigger pieces were working.

So the specific problem I'm having now is as follows:
The 'hi-hat control' LED and its functions on the DM6 are not being activated from the hi-hat pedal.
(So my hi-hat is constantly open)
Everything else seems to be working fine and the pedal itself should be working unless the loom somehow got damaged while replacing the drum brain.

The pedal is as shown in the manual (flame style).
I believe the DM6 module already had the V.06 firmware when I received it.
I tried to apply the fix to that and then went back to the V.05 firmware you posted and tried the fix there too.
I have also tried factory reset a couple of times during this process.

I will try another reset and then applying V.06.
Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated!

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 12:17:48 PM »
Ok, weird update in case anyone stumbles across this thread in the future!

The Pedal seems to work fine if I have the jack connector pushed in maybe 2/3 of its full travel. Not sure if this is a mono/stereo issue or a cable fault or even something gone a bit wrong in the internals of my Pedal.

Hopefully I can find a way of securing it in classic bodge style in that position.

Thanks @Chaser for taking the time to help.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 06:10:48 PM »
Ok, weird update in case anyone stumbles across this thread in the future!

The Pedal seems to work fine if I have the jack connector pushed in maybe 2/3 of its full travel. Not sure if this is a mono/stereo issue or a cable fault or even something gone a bit wrong in the internals of my Pedal.

Hopefully I can find a way of securing it in classic bodge style in that position.

Thanks @Chaser for taking the time to help.

No problem !!
Happy to hear you worked it out.
 sounds like the farther in you push..the tip connector is making contact with the ring...
it is probably a closed frame pcb mounted connector and if it stays firm/locks the tip while not being in all the way you could get an o-ring at the hardware store , or slice/wrap some electrical or pinstripe tape around the base of the TRS male end
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 07:25:58 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 08:03:08 PM »
Cheers, I will give those ideas a try.
Currently being held in place by some Blu-Tack. Not an elegant longterm fix : )