Author Topic: Help with left hand technique flaw  (Read 1715 times)

Help with left hand technique flaw
« on: October 24, 2017, 10:09:39 PM »
I realize practice makes perfect but I'm struggling with left hand technique as a right hand drummer.  I've seen all the you tube videos on strengthening the weak hand but my problem is unique.  Many many years ago as a teen drummer in a rock band, I used a traditional grip.  Some years later (as in 40!) I decided to get back into drumming and switched to a matched grip.  As its only been a few months, I'm finding that I'm having a problem with my left hand.  Instead of it being a mirror image of my right hand ACTION, it tends to want to rotate the wrist (as in traditional grip) instead of pivoting up and down.  It is most noticeable on 16th note fills around the kit and not so much over the snare.  I'm practicing basic rudiments and it also shows up more frequently with higher metronome speeds.  It seems I lack that sticks control.  If anyone can direct me to other online video sources or pass on some technique tips to correct this scenario, I'd deeply appreciate the advice.  Thanks in advance!

Offline JimmyB

Re: Help with left hand technique flaw
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 10:43:56 PM »
Go back to traditional grip. You've already developed that muscle memory
JimmyB

Offline rhysT

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 04:53:31 PM »
I realize practice makes perfect but I'm struggling with left hand technique as a right hand drummer.

Check out these Simon Phillips videos that demo his open-handed playing style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1jPudE8eRE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohs9_rVFbuY

Btw, thanks to Dobly for flagging the first one that encouraged me to play the hi-hat more with my left hand.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 07:28:07 PM by rhysT »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 05:32:37 AM »
JimmyB

Your muscle memory might have your left hand thinking about another way to play, but muscle memory can be learned at any age.

Thomas Lang has a great video on the Drumeo channel.

At around 12:30 in this video he talks about how to strike the drums. What he says make a lot of sense. Especially the bit about if you played the drums with your hands.......

Jump to around 12:30....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tia3nieOu0o

Offline Dobly

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 05:41:02 AM »
Oh, and try this exercise..

R L R R L L R R R L L L R R R R L L L L

ie: Two singles, two doubles, two triples and two 4 strokes.

First learn to play it.

Next put an accent at the start of each hand in each bit.

R L R r L l R r r L l l R r r r L l l l

Then when you want a challenge.. ;)

Put the accent on the LAST stroke of each section.

R L r R l L r r R l l L r r r R l l l L

By the time you work this out in matched grip your left hand will have the muscle memory it needs.

Then, play songs with your left hand on the hats and right on the snare. Like Simon Phillips. This will give your left hand the strength it needs..

I am currently teaching my 11 year old to play. Baby steps. It easier for him to take instruction from a stranger drum teacher than me. Despite that I have him playing open handed. He is now playing the hats with his left hand, but ride cymbal with the right. I wish I was taught that way when I was 5 (when I started playing).

« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 05:54:06 AM by Dobly »