Author Topic: Multimedia Speakers for Drum Rack? Small room solo practice  (Read 2083 times)

Multimedia Speakers for Drum Rack? Small room solo practice
« on: August 27, 2017, 02:06:14 PM »
I just bought a DM10 studio set and want to have some small, lightweight, rack mount speakers to practice with! I did a search here and everything is fairly large with monitors! I am not a banger! Just want something clean looking and decent sounding for my personal practice (a 10' room). I saw Keyboard amps suggested, but those are still big. The guy I bought the set from mentioned Gaming speakers because they have decent range and bass for small scale practice. Weight is part of the issue. I am not allowed to carry anything heavy like an amp. Any one have any small speaker ideas or suggestions, like a specific gaming speakers that would work?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 03:20:37 PM by Makani »

Offline AlanK

Re: Small Practice Speakers for Drum Rack?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 11:42:30 AM »
I bought a pair of Samson portable bluetooth speakers.. they're about a quarter of the size of a true PA speaker but put out enough volume to jam with a few buddies wailing on their guitars and bass. They also sell stands for them that are also lightweight. I got the speakers and stands all for under 300 (CDN). Can use them for playing music outside or at parties too, just link to my phone or laptop and play away.

I've been trying to attach a pic (under 400kb) but this system keeps erroring out on me.. will try to attach later if it works, so you can see them compared side by side with my larger PA speakers
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:49:25 AM by AlanK »
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline AlanK

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 11:03:51 AM »
I bought a pair of Samson portable bluetooth speakers.. they're about a quarter of the size of a true PA speaker but put out enough volume to jam with a few buddies wailing on their guitars and bass. They also sell stands for them that are also lightweight. I got the speakers and stands all for under 300 (CDN). Can use them for playing music outside or at parties too, just link to my phone or laptop and play away.

I've been trying to attach a pic (under 400kb) but this system keeps erroring out on me.. will try to attach later if it works, so you can see them compared side by side with my larger PA speakers

Edit: for some reason it's not allowing me to upload a small size photo, but here's a link to my OneDrive pic if you want to see how the Samson's compare to my full size Mackie's

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ajl2rS1ucigc0V5L_CDexqNtt7ZR

Hope this isn't breaking any rules.. Hellfire, if this is not allowed, please edit it out or let me know.

Alan

Edit2: yikes, please ignore the fatbastard snapping the pic in the mirror's reflection...lol
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 11:06:19 AM by AlanK »
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 03:18:46 PM »
OMG! What a setup to be proud of! Thank you for your response! Would you believe those Samson's are still too massive for what I am looking for! I think what I have in mind is a multimedia set or home theatre system on the cheap! I read where some guy had a soundbar right on the rack above the toms. I wanted something small to start with and then I may go a small PA system like Mackie if I start playing outside of my tiny little 10' bedroom

Re: Multimedia Speakers for Drum Rack? Small room solo practice
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 10:12:42 AM »
You will need something to amplify most speakers unless you purchase active speakers or an amp. It will be almost impossible to find small active speakers that can handle the frequencies of e drums. If you can carry 12 pounds then BEHRINGER ULTRATONE KT108.

Offline Iggford

Re: Multimedia Speakers for Drum Rack? Small room solo practice
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 08:08:27 PM »
You mentioned being told to try gaming speakers...  I have to mention that I have my kit connected to an old (2000) set of Altec Lansing PC speakers.  They are the typical stereo desktop speakers with the floor sub.  They have been my drum speakers now for about 10 years.  One of the desktop speakers quit working, but the setup is still a little powerhouse.  Especially for my living room setup.  My band connects to a large Bose PA system, but these PC speakers work perfectly for me when I'm at home.

However, if you do go with PC speakers, spend the money on a decent set.  I bought a set of Logitech speakers (can't think of the model right off).  They only cost me about $50, and the sub wasn't powerful enough to handle the kit. 

If you're looking for a lightweight solution, something like this may be a good option to consider.

--Shawn