Author Topic: DM10 Module Mount & Clamp  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Failed Muso

DM10 Module Mount & Clamp
« on: January 06, 2017, 12:52:21 PM »
I need some help!!

Since purchasing a PercPad to go with my kit, I used my old DTXpress module mount as it gave me more height (about 6 inches) and so I needed another module mount for my DM10 module which I use to supplement my Crimson module. I found an official Alesis mount and ordered it but I also needed a rack clamp for it, so after only finding 3rd party clamps online for around £20 a shot, I decided to call inMusic direct as they've helped out with spares in the past. I spoke to a guy there who ran through his catalogue and found the necessary clamp and the order was placed. It only cost £5 too!

The part arrived a day later and turned out to be the same kind of clamp supplied with my Crimson Mesh kit, albeit with chrome wing-nuts, not plastic.

When I tried to insert the stem of the mounting plate into the corresponding hole in the clamp, it was obvious it wasn't going to fit. The hole on the clamp has a max. diameter of 19mm whereas the stem on the camp is at least 22mm. There is no expanding "give" in the clamp at all so it was clear that this wasn't the correct part.

Extensive Googling didn't seem to turn up any official part numbers but it did show a different type of clamp being used with the mounting plate which was an all plastic, non-spring construction and was of the type that slid onto the rack bar as opposed to clamp on.

I contacted inMusic again and the guy went off to the warehouse to see if he could clarify the situation, telling me that as soon as he turned up the correct part, he'd send it to me FOC, which was nice to hear. 30 minutes later, I got a call from him saying that at that time, all he could find was the clamp they had sent to me and that according to their systems, this was listed as the correct part. He fully accepted that it wasn't and went off to investigate further, promising to call be back as soon as he had some more info. As yet, I've heard nothing more :(

Can anyone here confirm what their module mount clamp looks like and if it matches any of those shown in the attached pictures?

If all else fails, I can buy a Gibraltar or Dixon universal clamp, I suppose.

Thanks in advance! :)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 01:16:43 PM by Failed Muso »
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2

Offline Failed Muso

Re: DM10 Module Mount & Clamp
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 01:14:16 PM »
UPDATE!!

So, I just heard back from the guy at inMusic, who has been incredibly helpful.

It turns out that the module mount that Alesis supply as a separate item is exclusively designed for use on their percussion and sample pad items and is designed to be clamped in a universal clamp, i.e. the kind that has two adjustable nuts and can fit a variety of widths.

The DM10 module has its own, unique module mount that features a stem that is slightly smaller and is the same width as the L-pegs that you mount the pads on.

So the guy at inMusic has said he will send me this plate, still FOC, first thing on Monday.

Problem solved, but I wish Alesis themselves would make this stuff clear on their website. It seems inMusic are as much in the dark as we are, but hats off to their persistence and generosity :)
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2

Offline Failed Muso

Re: DM10 Module Mount & Clamp
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 07:23:36 AM »
A Tale of Two Mounts!

Finally got the proper DM10 module mount in the post this morning and I'm happy to report it fits the clamp perfectly.

I can't help but wonder what bright spark thought that producing different mounts, especially within a single product brand/line was in any way a good idea. And then to make it incredibly difficult to differentiate and source them both, with no suitably descriptive text or identification. Even inMusic themselves struggled to come up with the right part! And then, to make only one of them (the e-Percussion Mount) available as an official spare part. The DM10 mounting plate is not an officially available spare part. The one I received was, as far as I can discern, taken from a DM10 kit.

Just to be clear, here are the differences between the two:

Alesis DM10 Mounting plate:

Thin plastic construction
19mm diameter peg that fits the standard Alesis Drum Rack Clamp (same width as the L-Peg fitting)
Not available as a catalogued spare part, only as part of a DM10 line kit
Not supplied with screws (requires 4x M5 10mm Button Head)

Alesis e-percussion Module Mount

Thick plastic construction
23mm diameter peg, slightly tapered, increasing in diameter by a millimetre or two towards the plate. Designed to be mounted in a universal clamp, such as the Dixon Multi AI clamp
Available as a stock item from any Alesis dealer (Barcode 0694318013496)
Supplied with 4x M5 20mm Button Head screws (extra length required due to thickness of construction)

Hopefully, this might help someone out in the future. Feel free to get in touch if you need any further information.