Author Topic: Pads for the Sample Rack  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Dobly

Pads for the Sample Rack
« on: December 28, 2016, 02:54:13 AM »
My setup now has the DM10 module and an Alesis Sample Rack. They are talking happily thru midi and the system is working great.

The Sample Pad however has inputs for a whole kit of drums. I'm not using any of them. Seems a waste.

What I'd like is some sort of pad thing, that is just pads that I can plug into the Sample Rack to take advantage of the inputs.

The Sample Pad Pro with it's array of pads is not what I am after. I need something like that, but with just the pads. No brains if you know what I mean.

Does anyone make something like this.

I could DIY up some pad easy enough but that is a big job and I need all the hardware and such. Who makes this sort of thing?..

Maybe I could buy an old edrum kit, and just use the pads.

Any ides from the gurus on here?

Dobly

Offline Dobly

Re: Pads for the Sample Rack
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 03:23:23 AM »
Right after starting this thread I went on the hunt. I had this thought, what if I could get an inexpensive edrum kit and just buy it for it's pad and hardware.

Well that is exactly what I did...

Check this out.

I just bought this entire kit, for .... wait for it... $50AUD.. (around $36 US).

If nothing else I have a new bassdrum pedal for my sons kit.

As for me, I get all those pads, cymbals and hardware. Oh the fun. My next post will be in DIY next week when i have some fun with this Mastercraft MCDD403 kit :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 07:06:06 AM by Dobly »

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 04:01:07 PM »
That's a great deal on the drum kit!
Yamaha DTXtreme III with DIY drum pads

Offline Dobly

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 05:40:13 PM »
That's a great deal on the drum kit!

Too right. Only caveat is that I have to drive around an hour and a half to pick it up. Doing that later today.

I will be very exciting if the rack fittings fit my DM10x rack.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 06:38:54 PM »
What I'd like is some sort of pad thing, that is just pads that I can plug into the Sample Rack to take advantage of the inputs.

The Sample Pad Pro with it's array of pads is not what I am after. I need something like that, but with just the pads. No brains if you know what I mean.

Does anyone make something like this.

Hey Dobly, this DIY multipad should be of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJrO9VYEoGQ

Another option for some ideas is the TrapKAT: http://www.alternatemode.com/trapkat_features.shtml
It has cool features like FSR sensors, but is rather pricey here in Aus at 3.5 to 4K$ from Optimum Percussion.

Looking forward to seeing what you create.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 06:50:59 PM by rhysT »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 05:32:29 AM »
Hey Dobly, this DIY multipad should be of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJrO9VYEoGQ

Another option for some ideas is the TrapKAT: http://www.alternatemode.com/trapkat_features.shtml
It has cool features like FSR sensors, but is rather pricey here in Aus at 3.5 to 4K$ from Optimum Percussion.

Looking forward to seeing what you create.

Wow.. That first dude with this own creation is a DIY guru.. I don't need one that big but I could rig up a smaller one with maybe 4 or 6 pads. Thanks for that link.

That next one is very expensive.. Yikes, that goes against my DIY spirit. :)

I picked up that kit today.. I'm going to start a thread in DIY.

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 06:43:02 PM »
That looks like a Alesis DM7X/ Nitro clone. I'm pretty sure it will all fit on your Alesis rack.

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 06:46:07 PM »
Except maybe the cymbal clamps on the rack tube. I remember like they were of a harder more brittle plastic. The other clamps were of a different plastic. The aluminum tubes on the kit were slightly smaller than the DM10 rack tubes, but the pad clamps/brackets open to fit it without any problems.