Author Topic: DM10X 3 zone ride cymbal settings  (Read 7060 times)

Offline AHayden82

DM10X 3 zone ride cymbal settings
« on: October 18, 2012, 11:44:08 AM »
I apologize if I am posting something that has been answered already but I just havent found the answers that I am looking for. This will be the first time that i have ever posted anything like this before too, so bare with me if i sound silly. I just thought if there were anywhere on earth that I could find help that it would be here. I would like to start out by saying Hello to all! I have been following links and checking out forums for the past two months now. It looks as though this is the best place to ask my questions. I would like to thank everyone in advance for their assistance and ideas. I would also like to think Hellfire for being what I would consider to be the absolute authority on these electronic drum kits. @Hellfire, you are everywhere man! All roads always lead to you! Impressive. I recently purchased the DM10x kit. I have been a drummer my entire life but this is my first electronic drum kit. I am well aware of the fact that an electronic kit will never play or feel like an electronic kit. I'm just trying to get this thing to be as close as possible. I have followed the advice of many DM owners which I have found all over the web and must say that I am almost there. I can’t believe how much awesome information that everyone has put out here. My problem is that I can’t for the life of me figure out how to get my Ride Cymbal set properly. Actually I can’t even get it close. I have the DMPad 3 zone ride and the DM Module that came with my kit. I have literally spent hours changing settings on this ride (including Switch/Piezo) and it just won’t separate into a clear bell sound and bow sound. The choke works fine and all but I’m really not too concerned about choking my ride. (although I have wanted to choke the life out of it a few times) I have checked, double checked and triple checked the wiring and I most definitely have the correct cymbal in the correct place. I have followed all of the advice that I can find on the web but just haven’t found any posts that give good suggestions on all of the Ride settings. All I want is for the bell sound to come when I hit the bell and the bow sound to come when I hit the bow. I'm pretty sure that I have the latest update for my module so I'm turning here for help. So far all of the changes and modifications that I have found on this site and others have done me nothing but good. I hope that someone out there can help me solve this one last issue so that I can truly be 100% happy with my DM10X Purchase!

DM10X With Dampened Rack. Simple 682 Black Mesh Head With Cone Conversion on 8" and 10" Pads. Custom Wooden Hoops and 682 Black Mesh Head With Cone Conversion on 12" Pads. Hi-Hat on separate rack. Roc-N-Soc Throne with Back Rest.

Offline Trondster

Re: DM10X 3 zone ride cymbal settings
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 11:50:44 AM »
You need to use two TRS "stereo" cables, to both ride jacks. Set the ride to Piezo/Switch and three zones.

You may have to adjust the sensitivity, threshold and zone xtalk settings.

You should be able to get a bell sound from around the bell area, as well as a bow sound from the front bow. There should also be a crash sound if you whack the ride hard. There should be a functioning choke if you grab the choke strip.

If you do get both bell and bow sounds, but perhaps sometimes both then your cabling should be correct - you just need to tune your trigger settings.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 03:58:13 PM »
You need to use two TRS "stereo" cables, to both ride jacks. Set the ride to Piezo/Switch and three zones.

You may have to adjust the sensitivity, threshold and zone xtalk settings.

You should be able to get a bell sound from around the bell area, as well as a bow sound from the front bow. There should also be a crash sound if you whack the ride hard. There should be a functioning choke if you grab the choke strip.

If you do get both bell and bow sounds, but perhaps sometimes both then your cabling should be correct - you just need to tune your trigger settings.

What Trondster stated.  ;D

I would also like to thank Hellfire for being what I would consider to be the absolute authority on these electronic drum kits. @Hellfire, you are everywhere man! All roads always lead to you! Impressive.

I don't know about being an "absolute authority" or "All roads always lead to" but, thanks for the comments.  :)

Unfortunately, I've never used the DMpad three zone ride. My only experience with three zone rides is with the Alesis Surge three zone ride. With that said, from many of the conversations here on DMdrummer.com Trondster pretty much stated what I believe to the main advise for using the DMpad three zone rides. Again, welcome to the forum.

Offline AHayden82

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 05:01:53 PM »
Hey thanks guys!   @Trondster I think that you may have hit it right on the head there. (No pun intended) I have read quite a few hours worth of material on here today and have some pretty good ideas to go off of. I believe that the key to my success will be found in properly adjusting my triggers. Im going to delve into it when I get home tonight and see what i can figure out. I will let you know what happens.

@Hellfire Im not even kidding you! I have asked around, reached out to as many folks as I can and just about every single one of them sent me to you. As I previously stated this is my first full on electronic set. Apartment living has proven to be quite the challenge for my life of music but hey, we do what we have to right? the show must go on. Thanks again for all of the great information that you have compiled into this website. It has proven to be priceless in this musicians eyes.

Thanks to everyone on here I have gone from a steaming mad ball of frustration to a very happy electronic kit owner!

ALL OF YOU ROCK!!!!
DM10X With Dampened Rack. Simple 682 Black Mesh Head With Cone Conversion on 8" and 10" Pads. Custom Wooden Hoops and 682 Black Mesh Head With Cone Conversion on 12" Pads. Hi-Hat on separate rack. Roc-N-Soc Throne with Back Rest.

Offline AHayden82

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 04:51:27 PM »
Ok so it has been a few months since I have been on here, but I am happy to report that I couldnt be happier with my DM10X kit. I have had it apart several times and tried many different things that i have read on this site. The key to being happy with my 3-zone ride was ALL in the settings. I must say that it is weird just how different these pads can be from others who have the same pads. You really do just have to tweak it until you find the sweet spot. Going by the settings that others use won't neccesarily get you what you want but can definately get you a good base to start with. Everyone has different playing styles, therefore everyone will use different settings. I just want to say that i really appreciate all of the advice and the wealth of knowledge from this website. Thanks to all!!

Offline JohnRick

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 02:13:33 PM »
Alright - more than 120 days passed but would like to know about some of your settings for the Ride specifically.
I consider myself fairly familiar with the DM10x having had it for a year or so, as a backup to my DTX900 which I have had since 2011. All inputs (inlcuding allauxiliary) are filled and everything reskinned, and I trigger Superior Drummer or Addictive Drums while rehearsing with the big band.

No issue in cabling and to get a separate crash/bow sound. Only issue is when hitting the bell, it can never be a clean hit for the bell alone, thus it always triggers the bow simultanesously. I have played around a lot with trigger settings, crosstalk, treshold etc, but am yet to get this one down.

Input?

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 06:04:58 PM »
Yeah, JohnRick. That gets me too. I have to hit like a 1x1 inch direct hit on the bell to get the bell sound. Hard to get consistent.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.