Author Topic: DM10 Studio Kit - Rack  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Iggford

DM10 Studio Kit - Rack
« on: December 29, 2016, 04:48:37 PM »
Hey, guys,

I'm not sure if I'm in a minority here, but is anyone else that owns the DM10 Studio (Mesh?) Kit a little less than satisfied with the rack?  I'm just not sure if I'm asking for more than I should be with the rack.  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my kit.  I just seem to be having some troubles with the rack.

Back during the summer, the brackets that hold the cymbal arms into the two center upright poles snapped, and I'm not able to raise the cymbals using anything but the extension part of the arm.  That actually ended up working ok for me, as I've gotten it arranged to where I like the placement.

In addition to this, I've just had some issues with the plastic couplings not holding too well, especially the ones that hold on the left and right side sections.  I just seem to be having to tighten everything down a bit more than I feel like I should.

I do travel with the kit quite a bit, at least twice a week in most cases, so I expect to have to do some basic maintenance as far as tightening things back down once in a while, it just seems to be more and more frequent.  I typically load pads and pedals into bags, and fold the rack for transport.  I'm actually looking at new bag solutions that will allow me to store it all in bags. 

So, all of that to get to my question.  I've been thinking about finding another rack solution.  Has anyone else replaced the pack-in rack, and if so, what are some solutions that you've used?  I'm trying to stay fairly inexpensive at the moment, and maybe even start something that I can build on over time.  I just want to make sure I don't have a hardware failure, as my band is beginning to gig a bit more as we go into the new year.

Thanks for any input that may help me figure out which way to go!

Offline rhysT

Re: DM10 Studio Kit - Rack
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 06:07:25 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm in a minority here, but is anyone else that owns the DM10 Studio (Mesh?) Kit a little less than satisfied with the rack?  I'm just not sure if I'm asking for more than I should be with the rack.  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my kit.  I just seem to be having some troubles with the rack.

I do travel with the kit quite a bit, at least twice a week in most cases, so I expect to have to do some basic maintenance as far as tightening things back down once in a while, it just seems to be more and more frequent.  I typically load pads and pedals into bags, and fold the rack for transport.  I'm actually looking at new bag solutions that will allow me to store it all in bags. 

So, all of that to get to my question.  I've been thinking about finding another rack solution.  Has anyone else replaced the pack-in rack, and if so, what are some solutions that you've used?  I'm trying to stay fairly inexpensive at the moment, and maybe even start something that I can build on over time.  I just want to make sure I don't have a hardware failure, as my band is beginning to gig a bit more as we go into the new year.

Thanks for any input that may help me figure out which way to go!

Yeah, I wouldn't want to transport and set up the DM10 Studio rack regularly, so check out these compact options from Gibraltar for ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7cHAZeQ7ik   

Offline Iggford

Re: DM10 Studio Kit - Rack
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 01:36:40 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't want to transport and set up the DM10 Studio rack regularly, so check out these compact options from Gibraltar for ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7cHAZeQ7ik

Wow, thanks for the link!  I kinda skimmed through it, and I'll take a closer look when I'm in front of my home computer. 

I did manage to find a pretty good way of dismantling the Studio Rack and getting it into the larger of my two bags.  Since we are working on recording an album, I may end up leaving my kit at our bandleader's house part-time, so that may end up taking some of the burden off.  If it turns out to be more of a pain than I'm willing to deal with on a fairly regular basis, though, I may look into something like this.  I'm a fan of Gibraltar's hardware, so it's already a win in my book.

Thanks again!