Author Topic: How do I calibrate the Alesis Crimson mesh kit's hi hat?  (Read 7078 times)

How do I calibrate the Alesis Crimson mesh kit's hi hat?
« on: July 07, 2016, 09:34:27 PM »
i see various options for threshold and sensitivity in the trigger settings, but i can't find anything resembling a "calibration" menu for the hi hat pedal. for example, when it's recognized ad closed/open.

Anyone else with this kit care to help? the manual didn't mention calibration...

Re: How do I calibrate the Alesis Crimson mesh kit's hi hat?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 09:05:59 AM »
Anyone have a solution to this? Just bought the crimson and I find that with the pedal held down, some hi hat notes come out as if the pedal is open. I see that he DM10 has the option to calibrate the open and closed position of the pedal, but I can't find the option for the crimson.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 09:51:09 AM »
Wow, I went over the manual and there's nothing in there about hi-hat setup. I suppose you could try a few things.. first try another voice/kit and see if the hi-hat works better with one over another.. I found some of the voicings on my DM10 just seemed a lot poorer in how they played and sounded than others.

2nd, what about sensitivity, threshold etc? Perhaps some fine tuning or trying higher or lower settings will help. 3rd, is there a chance you've got the pedal and cymbal cables reversed (don't laugh, I've done it, and it produces some interesting results).

Lastly, it could be the pedal itself.. there have been many discussions on the realhat pedal's functionality.. some people changed the spring tension or how much play there was in the board as it is pressed down and so on. You may find something here if you do a search on realhat pedal or pedal sensitivity or something like that. In any case, there's usually a tiny screw at the end of the pedal (the control side, not the hinge) that you can adjust for how much play there is when pressing down.. maybe you need to increase or decrease it so that it senses the pedal is more fully closed when you step down? Just a thought...

Good luck, hope you figure it out, let us know if you do
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline rhysT

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 11:57:08 AM »
Anyone have a solution to this? Just bought the crimson and I find that with the pedal held down, some hi hat notes come out as if the pedal is open.

The Crimson module is similar to the Medeli DD650, and referring to its manual (p17) maybe try setting the Splash Sens to 1 (min): http://www.mecldata.com/download/manual/AW_DD650_manual_G04_150923.pdf 

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 03:29:11 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

Tried all of the suggestions above and since you cannot calibrate the open and closed positions in the software, the issue seems to be with the pedal itself. The sensitivity, threshold and splash sens seem to apply to the actual sound that closing the hat makes, not the open/closed state.

I did find this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i0gP9wMRxI which definitely has helped a bit. By adjusting this piece further down the sensor gets triggered sooner.

I do still get the occasional open hat sound, but I may just need to get used to holding the pedal down harder.

Cheers

Offline rhysT

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 06:53:43 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

Tried all of the suggestions above and since you cannot calibrate the open and closed positions in the software, the issue seems to be with the pedal itself. The sensitivity, threshold and splash sens seem to apply to the actual sound that closing the hat makes, not the open/closed state.

I did find this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i0gP9wMRxI which definitely has helped a bit. By adjusting this piece further down the sensor gets triggered sooner.

I do still get the occasional open hat sound, but I may just need to get used to holding the pedal down harder.

Check out some more info about modifying the Hi-hat pedal: http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=2685.0