Author Topic: Help!! Choosing MeshHeads  (Read 3626 times)

Help!! Choosing MeshHeads
« on: December 23, 2010, 06:07:16 PM »
Hey guys,

I am very interested in purchasing some good mesh heads to replace my factory heads on my DM10 studio kit. Any suggestion on what brand and where to buy them, would be very appreciated.

Thank you
Just Another Drummer, Trying To Get His Groove On!!

Offline Burtmeister

Re: Help!! Choosing MeshHeads
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 06:43:02 PM »
I can't comment on specific brands to recommend, but if you're a diy'er I highly  recommend the solar screen material you can buy at Home Depot, Lowes, or most hardware stores. It's super tough, cheap, and black. I've been banging on mine a few months and the material shows no sign of wear. The forums over at vdrums.com would be a good place to ask too.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 06:52:11 PM by Hellfire »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 06:56:42 PM »
I thought the topic fits better here in the DIY section of the forum.

@ Burtmeister - I updated the subject to your response to edrumbum. Just in case you are wondering why it states "« Last Edit: Today at 06:52:11 PM by Hellfire »"

As far as DIY'ing mesh heads see Burtmeister response. If you are looking to buy mesh, the best ones are Roland or Hart (assuming you are in the USA). Others are cheaper and will work but they will not last nearly as long. I hope that helps.

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 12:11:46 AM »
I unfortunately and not a DIY kind of guy, so buying would be my method.
Yes that helps a bunch, thanks guys. Now where can I purchase them? I have looked on music123.com, musiciansfriend.com and guitarcenter.com with no luck.
Just Another Drummer, Trying To Get His Groove On!!

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 05:56:26 PM »
I unfortunately and not a DIY kind of guy, so buying would be my method.
Yes that helps a bunch, thanks guys. Now where can I purchase them? I have looked on music123.com, musiciansfriend.com and guitarcenter.com with no luck.

You might consider this ... you really don't need to come to the same answer for each pad in your lit. In fact, some nice kits come with a different snare head than the toms/kick.

Depending on your playing style and musical tastes, your snare will likely take to most "beating" - meaning that you might consider springing for a top quality mesh head for your snare (e.g. Roland), but stick to the cheaper mesh/DIY heads for your toms. Remember, although the "feel" may differ (depending on your set-up), the drum sounds are generated by the module or VSTs, not by the pad heads.

Personally, I've got a combination of Roland (on a PD-120) and Bill Blast with center pad (kick), and Pearl Muffle Mesh on most toms. BTW, they're all holding up perfectly after 3 months of daily playing - NO signs of wear yet, even on the cheapest heads.

Of course, at my age, I'm not smashing away with heavy sticks and perspiration ... it's mostly jazz, bossa nova, and rudiments, so maybe that has something to do with the longevity.

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 03:30:20 PM »
I have used Roland for my mesh head conversions, on my ION pads and Pintech Concert Cast.

You should be able to order the heads through a local store. I bought mine from a store down the street from me. :)

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 11:51:59 AM »
Like Onewatt, I am using Pearl Mesh heads. I just found some 1/4" thick mouse pads and put them on top of the pre-existing stack under the head. I like the feel of the heads a lot more, as they are much less hard and stiff. This makes it a lot nicer on my hands. In addition, the trigger sensitivity is virtually the same. Soon, I think, I will replace the snare head with a Roland due to the amount of pounding the snare will take. I think the Rolands are pretty indestructable. Being mostly into jazz, I don't pound the heads that hard. I think the Pearl heads should last a while, and for the money, nothing is cheaper.

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 02:16:37 PM »
I've just converted my DM10 Pro last week to mesh heads and i couldn't be happier.  What a difference for the better.
I used Z-Ed heads.  Very economical and from what i can tell very strong.
For new I only paid £6 for each 8" and about £6:50 for the 10" and I promise you they are great.
During the conversion you can use almost any spacer material at the bottom of the rearranged foam stack.  It doesn't need to be foam.  Just slide 5mm of packer in at the bottom, swap the black foam over with the piezo plate/rubber and job done.  The 5mm packer is irrelevant whether its foam, cardboard, or wood or whatever. It just seems to make no difference as its a fair way away from the head and piezo.  Next project I'm making is a couple of e-cymbals from an old splash and crash i've found and an e-cowbell.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 07:58:32 PM »
Roland.

B&H Photo.