Author Topic: Mesh head advice??  (Read 5750 times)

Offline adz671

Mesh head advice??
« on: October 23, 2010, 12:30:59 AM »
Hey guys, I want to do the mesh head conversion on my DM10 Studio, im looking around for heads that are available here in Oz so i dont have to wait 2 - 3 weeks shipping time, I was wondering if these guys would do the job or am I really better off going with something else??

http://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/view/6899/pearl-drums-mesh-heads-for-rhythm-traveler/

Drummers and technology, who would have thought?

Re: Mesh head advice??
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 12:40:52 PM »
Im thinking about replacing mash heads myself and im thinking about roland mash head replacement. ::)
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Roland-MH-10~ID~7714.asp

Online Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 01:15:03 PM »
Im thinking about replacing mash heads myself and im thinking about roland mash head replacement. ::)
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Roland-MH-10~ID~7714.asp
Roland mesh are really good mesh heads (so are Hart, and Pintech). If you are in Europe, I know there are many more options but I don't know them off the top of my head.

Pearl mesh heads work but you will find your self replacing them 2-3 times a year if you play your kit on a ragular basis. I hope that helps both of you guys out.

Offline adz671

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 09:39:04 PM »
Thanks Hellfire!!!

Yeah I've read a few reviews on them, Im going to order them just so I can get the conversion done, I can have them over here in 2 days,  as opposed to a few weeks if i order from overseas. In the coming weeks though ill definately be ordering a higher quality mesh head so i have them handy for replacement when the Pearl go on me.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 10:14:06 PM »
I got the pearl mesh heads a few months ago because they are cheap and I wanted to make sure the concept would work with my drums before I invested in better mesh heads. But I'm still using them because they work great, are acoustically quiet, and haven't broken yet. I use lighter sticks and don't attack the drums very hard though. I figure if they break, I can replace the pearl heads 2 or 3 times for the same price as a heavier mesh head. I have a spare 12" snare head I paid $8 for, but haven't had to use yet.
E-drum setup: Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones

Offline adz671

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 05:24:28 AM »
Cool thanks for the info, but it seems my master plan has fallen through with all stores and suppliers out of stock here in Oz till December, so ill have to find an alternative!! Really annoying as im super keen to do the mesh conversion!!!

Offline ungoliant

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 08:13:36 PM »
i have ordered the black pro mesh heads here  :http://www.drum-tec.de/meshheads-c-57.html

====>  9 months and just one head is a little broken. I found the guilty : used wooden tips. I use nylon tips now and no more dents ;)

Offline adz671

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 04:52:35 AM »
Thanks man, i actually stumbled onto them last night am just waiting to see how much shipping is going to set me back ;)

Orangeblood

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 10:51:54 AM »
I bought blast heads and had all kinds of problems getting them over the shells..they tore the laminate up when installed.
I almost needed shorter tension rods.

Offline Bobby@NEMS

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 11:57:38 AM »
Odd.  I am/was working on a reseller agreement with Billy Blast for his heads, but it's sort of sitting on the back burner after I've read many of these similar issues online.

I've found the Pintech's to be fantastic, and I actually use them on my own kit. Although, admittedly, I haven't meshed the 10" RealHead snare yet. :-)
Bobby D.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 12:38:26 PM »
Odd.  I am/was working on a reseller agreement with Billy Blast for his heads, but it's sort of sitting on the back burner after I've read many of these similar issues online.

I've found the Pintech's to be fantastic, and I actually use them on my own kit. Although, admittedly, I haven't meshed the 10" RealHead snare yet. :-)
I thought Pintech stopped making them? Or at least I thought they annouced they were no longer going to make them. I seem to remember Pintech stating that they were no longer going to pay the licensing to Roland for the mesh heads. Now, I can't find the web post that stated that.

Offline Bobby@NEMS

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 01:50:42 PM »

I thought Pintech stopped making them? Or at least I thought they annouced they were no longer going to make them. I seem to remember Pintech stating that they were no longer going to pay the licensing to Roland for the mesh heads. Now, I can't find the web post that stated that.

They aren't renewing the licensing with Roland, but still have distributors that Roland needs to honor, so these will continue to be sold for another 4-6 years according to Pintech.

Pintech had launched a very vague announcement on their homepage, so I clarified it before ordering inventory :-)
Bobby D.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 05:46:25 PM »

Billy Blast heads are good for the price.  But if you hit hard at all, they are not for you.  I have now just about replaced (well, they are on order) Roland heads as my BB heads just didn't last for me.  (well, the kick is doing fine, but the others are tore up.)  See if you can resell Roland heads.  They are superior, in my opinion.

Orangeblood

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 06:29:28 PM »
The blast heads didn't even fit on the shells. They tore the laminate from my pads when I installed them. They are cheap in price..and I can see why

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 06:44:18 PM »
The blast heads didn't even fit on the shells. They tore the laminate from my pads when I installed them. They are cheap in price..and I can see why

Quite strange ... I had no problems in Billy Blast mesh head sizing vs shell size whatsoever (on Alesis 8" realhead drums from the "USB Studio" kit). Perhaps there are different size/spec Alesis rims out there in the market?

Can't vouch for how long these BB heads will last since I just installed them, but certainly had no "fit" issues I noticed.  :-\

Offline vaikl

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 08:55:57 PM »
If any DM-drummer in Europe is interested in: I did my mesh head conversion with heads from the swiss DDRUM, labeled as Triggerhead.

They're nearly as cheap as the BillyBlast ones (in the stores), are available in 6" up to 26" sizes, fit perfectly on the Alesis shells and seem not to be worn out since the last weeks i had played them. Surely i'm not one of the overpowered students  8) but they can be tighten precisely, are nicely playable with good rebound and very quiet. DDRUM recommends wooden stick tips which i prefer too.

Unfortunately they are only available in a bunch of european countries ???