Author Topic: New Impact Isolating Drum Platform - Download Plans  (Read 4531 times)

New Impact Isolating Drum Platform - Download Plans
« on: February 11, 2015, 12:15:38 PM »
Greetings fellow drummers.

And now for something completely different… An impact isolating drum platform that can be built in a day with simple tools out of readily available materials for under $100.

Attached is a PDF document of the design drawings for a new drum platform that I have built and tested. It will be accompanied by an illustrated builder’s guide complete with photos, bill of materials, itemized cost, and a write-up covering all the steps, and a little bit about the physics that drove the design. So I’m hoping the forum moderators can make a sticky thread so both documents are available together.

In short, I wasn't thrilled with the current offerings for methods to prevent impact noise from being transmitted through floor structures and disturbing neighbors and family. It’s a common and daunting challenge for drummers who inhabit spaces shared by others.

The result is 100% effective, according to the neighbors whose bedroom is directly below my studio (Yikes!)  It uses mass and pneumatic dampers in the form of concrete patio stones and wheelbarrow inner tubes, arranged for maximum effect. It also uses a slatted platform design with air gaps instead of plywood sheet to prevent plosive sound energy from being produced and directed at the floor like a subwoofer.

So here is the first of the 2 documents. It is the dimensioned drawings and assembly, to be followed later with the construction pictorial. For those who would like to build one, please note that the platform size may vary per your particular kit.

Thank you for letting me contribute to this already informative group.

Respectfully,
Brian Jackson

Re: New Impact Isolating Drum Platform - Download Plans
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 12:31:20 PM »
Here are a couple of photos that give a good idea of the design. The first photo is the impact pedestals. These are standard items that can be acquired at any big-box home improvement store. Concrete Pavers were $1.56 each, with a mass of 19 lbs. per. Inner tubes are intentionally under-inflated (less than 5 PSI).

Offline Khes74

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 12:52:07 PM »
 I like it, I personally would make it bigger for my Pro kit maybe increase everything by maybe 5-10 feet.

Offline Sal

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 02:52:59 PM »
Damn those are professional diagrams!
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 06:42:47 PM »
Damn those are professional diagrams!

Thank you, Sal. I'm an engineer by trade, so CAD design is part of the job :-)

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 07:49:43 AM »
Just wanted to report that after a solid week of hard playing at late hours, the platform has proven absolutely silent to the neighbors downstairs, and a joy to play on. No issues to report, and rock solid. Best $97 ever spent :-)

Will be uploading the builder's guide for those interested. Thanks.

Brian Jackson

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 12:48:01 PM »
As promised, attached is the illustrated Builder's Guide that shows step-by-step instructions, and includes a costed bill of materials. So far I am extremely pleased with the performance and remain completely inaudible to the neighbors below. For those who would like to build one, drop me a line if you have any questions.

Respectfully,
Brian Jackson

Offline Khes74

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 02:36:54 PM »
You can buy Roland Noise Eaters individual feet for $87 for your kick and hi-hat stand, however why would you do that when you can isolate your entire kit for only $10 more?

Good to see a solid diagram up here, not only useful to Alesis drummers but all drummers.   

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 05:37:30 PM »
You can buy Roland Noise Eaters individual feet for $87 for your kick and hi-hat stand, however why would you do that when you can isolate your entire kit for only $10 more?

Good to see a solid diagram up here, not only useful to Alesis drummers but all drummers.

And they seem to lessen the impact noise from what I've read. It's a nice add-on in some situations, and easy. It would have been an attractive option here if simply reducing the impact noise would have sufficed, rather than completely eliminating it.

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 12:58:21 PM »
Today I conducted an informal test of this platform design using a seismograph app called Vibration Meter. I was surprised how sensitive the X/Y/Z accelerometers are on even basic smart phones, and this app registers these forces to the degree that even very soft keystrokes while I'm typing this produce significant values. Wow.

The informal test was done by first laying the phone/sensor 1" from the kick pedal, lying directly on the carpeted surface of the platform itself. As you might guess it was full peaked at about a 5.2. As a mean I set it then on my typing desk and while typing this message it's registering around 2.5. I'm a fairly light typist I might add. This gives me an idea of approximate range and sensitivity. I then simply tap the desk very lightly and it's measuring approximately .03~.07... very hard to be consistent at such low ranges. And when I'm completely still it finally registers zero.

Sweet app.

Now the acid test. What does it register when it's placed on the floor next to the platform. .04 was the maximum I could achieve at full-stomp kick pedal velocity. The graph didn't even register.

To spare you the math, earthquakes are measured on a logarithmic scale, meaning that the differences between the numbers are not uniform. Their assigned intensities double with each successive whole number. That also means it's possible to divide by half backwards forever. So when you see numbers like .03 on a seismograph, you're down to a level undetectable by humans. And as it happens, humans are the ones I'm trying not to piss off. Win!

Cheers,
Brian Jackson
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:00:06 PM by Brian Jackson »

Offline Sal

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 05:28:41 PM »
Much science. Wow.
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 07:30:26 PM »
Much science. Wow.

Not much, just enough to explain why it works. But no math! I promise  :)

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 09:21:33 PM »
Man, I don't know. You may be WAY to smart to be a drummer!
LOL
JimmyB

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 09:01:40 AM »
Man, I don't know. You may be WAY to smart to be a drummer!
LOL
JimmyB

Naaa. They tell me I'm an engineer but I have yet to drive a train! I just wanted to blow the whistle... nobody said there'd be math involved.  :P

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 01:31:17 PM »
excellent work man,

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 07:51:20 PM »
excellent work man,

Thank you, EdSo. The prototype has been getting a real pounding and nobody downstairs even knows! It's our secret. :-)

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 09:17:37 PM »
http://tinyurl.com/jacksonpad

Greetings folks. The above link is to the zip file containing both the Plans and Builder's Guide. If you share this design with other drummers please use this link for convenience because it keeps both documents together. The TinyURL link is to the zip file hosted on Google Drive for public access.

FYI, status report on the isolating platform: No modifications required. Kinda surprised me really. In engineering even the most well thought out ideas often have unforeseen issues to tweak. Things don't always behave like we predict, or the math only works when a horse is simplified to a sphere in a vacuum, or worse yet, we expect nature to bend to our wishes. Having kicked and stomped on it heavily for nearly a month, I'm happy to report that this platform design has exceeded even the most hopeful expectations. And nary a neighbor was aware, so I thought I'd share (which rhymes by the way.)

Cheers,
Brian Jackson

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 05:52:11 AM »
cool stuff, i was thinking about innertube platform so googled it, it seems like a lot of work and VERY heavy (not an option in my small flat on the 4th floor (no lift)).
Since you seem to know a lot about science and engineering, what's your take on a MDF platform of 140x82x1.8cm (only my small kit would go on it, not me), similar to the tennis ball raiser, but just lying on innertubes (probably fairly thin ones to stay stable) - would that work?

thanks

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2015, 11:46:06 AM »
removed by user to stay on topic
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 07:16:25 AM by Brian Jackson »

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 07:44:08 AM »
Greetings.

http://tinyurl.com/jacksonpad

Based on requests from other users and forums, I'm pleased to announce that the above download link now also contains the new R1 larger version of the Jackson Pad for those with bigger kits or who simply need more surface area. The R1 version is 16" wider and 12" deeper than the original design, and material substitutions are included in the revised Bill of Materials.

I'm happy to report that several of these pads have been built, tested and seismically measured by drummers around the globe, and the feedback has been consistently positive that it's 100% effective.

Respectfully,
Brian Jackson

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 02:04:35 PM »
Report 2-8-16:

It's exactly the 1-Year mark that the JPad has been in service, and many folks have written to me over this year to ask about innertube deflation and if they have to pump them up periodically.

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Yes, but here's why:

Most pressurized vessels can't hold what they're containing forever because smaller molecules fit between larger ones and are pushed by all the ones behind it. Fans died at a Who concert in the 80s for the same reason. But air molecules fit through ridiculously tiny gaps. Same is true here.

Rule: Add a little air after a year. That's all.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 02:14:15 PM by Brian Jackson »

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 09:29:35 PM »
This has been so successful that we're currently building a wall-to-wall version.

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 02:18:52 PM »
Hello again. Just chiming in for another update.

The new rendition of the J-pad is a bit more of an undertaking, but is essentially a complete raised floor of the entire studio room (10' x 11'-3") using the same principal and re-using most of the original items. And as luck would have it, will only require an additional $120 in materials to construct. There are however a few logistical and design challenges which I will be documenting.

Challenge 1 is innertube access for yearly / periodic inflation. Granted they hold pressure for quite a long time before needing a recharge (mine went 12 months), but a wall-to-wall platform can't be lifted and moved. In addition, the original isolation pedestal design sandwiched the innertube between solid slabs, thereby closing off any access to the valve stem. The attached image shows a simple arrangement of inexpensive paver bricks that are readily available from Lowe's for 56 cents each. They are 7.7" x 3.8", and when arranged as shown creates a 3.9" hand hole for top access to the valve. Note that the lower brick layer is arranged opposite to the upper layer, which allows them to overlap in a very structurally secure way. The bricks are epoxied together between the 2 layers to form a single, rigid mass.

The platform has an interrupted slat where it crosses over the hand hole, which will be covered by a simple access plate screwed to the top of the platform. Just reach down with a bicycle pump hose once a year and you're good.

Additionally, there will be a very specific construction sequence since it has to be built with the pedestals already in place. I'll be producing a builder's guide with photos. I won't be able to do a full set of plans since the dimensions are a function of the available space. I will however provide measured detail drawings that show critical areas.

More to follow in the weeks ahead. Cheers.

Respectfully,
Brian Jackson

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2016, 12:48:30 PM »
Update:

Wall-to-wall platform completed over Memorial Day weekend. Went very straight-forward but somewhat more complicated due to the fact that most of the structure had to be built already floating on the isolator pedestals... kinda like building a plane in mid-air. I'll be posting photos of the key points of construction in the days ahead for anyone interested.

Not sure if plans will be included in the original download package since every room is different and therefor the design is variable. But I may add some general considerations and construction sequence renderings as a guide for those considering such an ambitious project.

Hope everyone had a great Memorial day and enjoyed the long weekend. Cheers.

Respectfully,
Brian Jackson

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2016, 12:30:16 PM »
Hope this helps. I'm here to answer all questions.