Author Topic: how tough are roland heads?  (Read 3183 times)

Offline H3RB

how tough are roland heads?
« on: August 14, 2010, 02:47:42 PM »
i ask because i need a strong mesh head to go on my bass.
ive gone through 2 single ply Z-eD mesh heads in under a month on my bass....
ive gone so far through the second one ive ripped through the black foam and im hitting the metal plate...
i have a roland head on my snare and it feels pretty solid, do they hold up well on bass drums? as i cant afford to keep going through them at this rate lol

Online Hellfire

Re: how tough are roland heads?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 03:01:06 PM »
i ask because i need a strong mesh head to go on my bass.
ive gone through 2 single ply Z-eD mesh heads in under a month on my bass....
ive gone so far through the second one ive ripped through the black foam and im hitting the metal plate...
i have a roland head on my snare and it feels pretty solid, do they hold up well on bass drums? as i cant afford to keep going through them at this rate lol
I had a Roland 10 inch drum I used on a bass drum for 4-1/2 years before it failed. I would say they are about as tough as they come. I hope that helps.

Offline H3RB

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 04:12:46 PM »
sounds good to me, gonna have to pay stupid prices now:(
just one more thing i forgot to ask. what beater do you use? im using the plastic side of my beater as the felt was just pulling the mesh apart slowley. saying that its only the plastic side thats broke through lol

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 05:17:43 PM »
sounds good to me, gonna have to pay stupid prices now:(
just one more thing i forgot to ask. what beater do you use? im using the plastic side of my beater as the felt was just pulling the mesh apart slowley. saying that its only the plastic side thats broke through lol
I would use the plastic side. If your beater is flat, make sure that the beater and the head come together so the beater is flat against the head. If it isn't flat and even it will put too much stress on a very small part of the head and make it break. I hope that helps.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 11:51:06 AM »
i have a roland head on my snare.  I beat the crap out of it, and it's still as tight/strong as the day I got it  (several months ago), whereas the Billy  Blast head failed inside of 60 days.

Offline H3RB

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 08:34:39 PM »
i have a roland head on my snare.  I beat the crap out of it, and it's still as tight/strong as the day I got it  (several months ago), whereas the Billy  Blast head failed inside of 60 days.
yeah i have a roland head on my snare only because i managed to get it cheap (£10) which is 1/3 of the price over here. looking for a cheap 8" one as i dont really wanna spend £30 on one lol

Offline rockdude

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 01:15:50 AM »
If you don't have to go the Roland route I can recommend Drumtec Design mesh heads. Double-ply, very durable, great looking and responds almost like a real acoustic head.
http://www.drum-tec.de/meshheads-drumtec-design-c-57_110.html

Then you have a cheaper alternative if you visit http://tuffmeshmaterial.weebly.com/
I haven't tried it but it's supposed to be a very durable dyneema space age material.
Here's a link to the thread at vdrums DIY section where the guy offering this is responding to questions about it:
http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63550&page=2

Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 05:30:52 AM by rockdude »

Orangeblood

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 12:43:38 PM »

Damn...I just bought all new Blast to go around.

I'll try that tuff mesh if and when the blast break. All I know is the mylar heads need to be rethunk at Alesis...the stock head feel is junk. There is a big learning curve technique wise going from acoustic to edrums...at least on the DM10. I figured there would be...but dang.