Author Topic: reflector plate vs. crossbar and trigger  (Read 3230 times)

reflector plate vs. crossbar and trigger
« on: July 07, 2010, 07:06:19 PM »
Hey, I'm working on building a super small and super cheap diy e-kit.  I'm going to use the alesis trigger io, and I've heard it works better with the reflector plate method, but I'm a bit skeptical.  All of my shells are 8" diameter and I'm using some homemade wood hoops and mesh heads.  I'm going to be using it in a college dorm, so noise levels is also a bit of an issue.  Andy help would be appreciated.

Online Hellfire

Re: reflector plate vs. crossbar and trigger
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 07:24:18 PM »
Hey, I'm working on building a super small and super cheap diy e-kit.  I'm going to use the alesis trigger io, and I've heard it works better with the reflector plate method, but I'm a bit skeptical.  All of my shells are 8" diameter and I'm using some homemade wood hoops and mesh heads.  I'm going to be using it in a college dorm, so noise levels is also a bit of an issue.  Andy help would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum Tanimal. Why are you skeptical of reflector plate method? This was the standard in edrumming for years. Alesis's own pads use reflector plates. Have a look at this video which is the same pads used with the Trigger I/O kit (USB pro kit I think it is called).

Inside The Alesis DM10 (Medeli DD-602) Trigger Pads

Again, Welcome to the forum.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 10:19:57 PM »
I dont know why I'm skeptical of it, I guess it makes sense, and It will probably be smaller, witch is what I need in this case.  I think I might just try it both ways.  I'm not making these in quite the traditional way.  I have a tiny budget, but I have a lot of materials available to me already.  I have some 8" cardboard tubing that is really durable. Its not the corrugated crap, its about 1/4" thick, andI can stand on it.  I want to use that as the shell.  Then I'm thinking that I would have a base similar to that alesis pad in your video, except made from wood, and then combine the head and hoop in one piece from 2 plywood hoops with the mesh sandwiched in between.  Then put bolts through that to the base.  I can basically make these for free from scrap at my dads shop, so I might as well just make one of each and test them.  Any tips for foam?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 09:00:45 AM »
I dont know why I'm skeptical of it, I guess it makes sense, and It will probably be smaller, witch is what I need in this case.  I think I might just try it both ways.  I'm not making these in quite the traditional way.  I have a tiny budget, but I have a lot of materials available to me already.  I have some 8" cardboard tubing that is really durable. Its not the corrugated crap, its about 1/4" thick, andI can stand on it.  I want to use that as the shell.  Then I'm thinking that I would have a base similar to that alesis pad in your video, except made from wood, and then combine the head and hoop in one piece from 2 plywood hoops with the mesh sandwiched in between.  Then put bolts through that to the base.  I can basically make these for free from scrap at my dads shop, so I might as well just make one of each and test them.  Any tips for foam?
Well, based on how you described your build, you might want to check out the X4L project over at Hellfire Drums. You might find some similarities. I do write about one type of foam cone design in that project.

One more thing, if you are going to be using cardboard tubing be sure to protect the bearing edge of the tube. You can do that by applying epoxy to the cut edge of the tube. This should help keep the edge from fraying or mushrooming over time. I hope that helps.