Author Topic: Variable Hi Hat pedal with a Hall Effect sensor?  (Read 3967 times)

Offline Burtmeister

Variable Hi Hat pedal with a Hall Effect sensor?
« on: June 19, 2010, 03:54:16 PM »
Hey guys, I wondering if anyone had actually modified their RealHat pedal with a hall effect sensor.  Similar to the one used in the project here: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54170

Hellfire mentions moving it from the stand to the pedal but noone really followed up on it. Mainly because I can't leave well enough alone and because I want to do away with the chance of mechanical failure of the flaky resistor strip, I'm considering doing this mod. It seems so simple  but I was wondering if anyone has gone this route yet.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 04:02:50 PM by Burtmeister »

Offline Guinness

Re: Variable Hi Hat pedal with a Hall Effect sensor?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 01:17:01 PM »
I just read that thread.   Thanks for posting it.

Ok... so what is a Hall Sensor?   Variable resistor based on magnetism?  That removes the mechanical-ness of current pedals.  Very cool indeed!

I want to do that.  Where would I get a Hall Sensor?  Radio Shack?

Burt, if you beat me to the punch, please post your results here.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 01:23:51 PM »
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 12:17:16 AM by Guinness »

Offline Burtmeister

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 07:00:53 PM »
Thanks for the links Guinness. I'm gonna order the parts this weekend and hopefully by next weekend I can do a simple test to see if it'll work.

Note: You want to be careful if you order a hall effect sensor though. There are different types. Some are non linear meaning that they are either open or closed, not variable. It looks like those links you posted are the non linear ones. I'm researching now and I'll post what I can find.

Well what a pain in the butt that was. I couldn't find one place in the U.S. that sells the correct Hall Effect sensor. So I had to go the Ebay route. I have a package of 8 on the way from China. If it works out like I hope, I'll have some extra sensors if anyone else wants to give it a try.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 11:48:33 PM by Burtmeister »

Offline Guinness

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 12:16:28 AM »
I do. 

Sorry for the bad links.