Author Topic: The drop in cake pan method  (Read 9988 times)

The drop in cake pan method
« on: March 04, 2010, 08:34:01 AM »

Hi guys

I've been thinking recently that my A2E kit  could do with an upgrade, especially in the way that the triggers respond. I think, like most people, I read the v-drums forum for quite awhile, not fully understanding what I was going to do, then embarked on a trial and error process of making triggers for my acoustic kit.  I finally settled on mark three of my triggers, which are a simple cone to on an L-bracket for the toms and the crossbar method for the snare.
Having read quite a few posts around reflection plate methods and the use of smaller piezos it seems that this is more appropriate for those of us using an I/O and not Roland.
Whilst looking for some more information on the D. I. Y.  Forum at Vdrums , I came across this thread
http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=ba7e6d9bb66e698d8e55996b3183d8d8&t=56650&highlight=reflection+plate+design
It seems to satisfy my need to leave the acoustic kit has untouched as possible, so that I can revert back to it for gigs.  I noticed that Hellfire has contributed to the thread and I suppose I'm asking him or anyone else who may have the experience to advise me on the best design that uses this drop in cake pan method combined with a reflection plate. I think that the majority of information in the thread is biased towards Roland hardware.

Any links would be greatly appreciated, especially with photographs for the technically challenged ! 

Thanks

P
Premier Royale 7 piece A to E with T-Trigger mesh heads on a Dixon Chrome rack.
DIY piezo triggers. 
Alesis I/O.
BFD2. 
Reaper.
ETrigger.

Kit album:http://www.vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=228

Online Hellfire

Re: The drop in cake pan method
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 09:20:46 AM »

Hi guys

I've been thinking recently that my A2E kit  could do with an upgrade, especially in the way that the triggers respond. I think, like most people, I read the v-drums forum for quite awhile, not fully understanding what I was going to do, then embarked on a trial and error process of making triggers for my acoustic kit.  I finally settled on mark three of my triggers, which are a simple cone to on an L-bracket for the toms and the crossbar method for the snare.
Having read quite a few posts around reflection plate methods and the use of smaller piezos it seems that this is more appropriate for those of us using an I/O and not Roland.
Whilst looking for some more information on the D. I. Y.  Forum at Vdrums , I came across this thread
http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=ba7e6d9bb66e698d8e55996b3183d8d8&t=56650&highlight=reflection+plate+design
It seems to satisfy my need to leave the acoustic kit has untouched as possible, so that I can revert back to it for gigs.  I noticed that Hellfire has contributed to the thread and I suppose I'm asking him or anyone else who may have the experience to advise me on the best design that uses this drop in cake pan method combined with a reflection plate. I think that the majority of information in the thread is biased towards Roland hardware.

Any links would be greatly appreciated, especially with photographs for the technically challenged ! 

Thanks

P
Hi Pughey,

Yes, I posted in that thread. I also did some work with a very similar idea a few years back. I ended up getting rid of the drum shell all together because I realized the pan can act as a shell. It was a case of over thinking the problem. I should have just stopped at the idea of putting the pans in the shell. Here's a link to my X4L project which is my cake pan trigger.

As far as a reflection plate in the pan for your drop in, I would use a variation of my REMO practice pad conversion. SEE ATTACHED picture. Basically, you will need to use thicker foam to make up the distances in the pan. Replace the neoprene (1/4 inch mouse pad) shown in the picture with a good high density foam (sometime called LUX foam). High density foam is used in furniture. It tends to have a blue or greenish color to it. How think to make it is up to you. It all depends on how you like it to trigger. I would suggest that you keep you reflection plate (Hardboard) around an inch to an inch in a half away from the head. A 27mm piezo should to the job just fine. I hope that helps.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 11:13:58 AM »
Beautiful - that's exactly what I was after - many thanks  ;D

I remember seeing in that thread that someone had posted the idea of attaching the piezo directly to the underside of the pan - think that would work?

Cheers again!
Premier Royale 7 piece A to E with T-Trigger mesh heads on a Dixon Chrome rack.
DIY piezo triggers. 
Alesis I/O.
BFD2. 
Reaper.
ETrigger.

Kit album:http://www.vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=228

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 12:21:53 PM »
Beautiful - that's exactly what I was after - many thanks  ;D

I remember seeing in that thread that someone had posted the idea of attaching the piezo directly to the underside of the pan - think that would work?

Cheers again!
Attaching the piezo directly to the pan is only good for a rim trigger (or a small bass trigger made from a tom). You can try it if you like, but you will not have a true floating plate if using it for the head trigger. You might also find that it doesn't trigger evenly across the entire head. Mainly, because the side of the plate (i.e. the pan) are fixed and can't vibrate freely. Basically you will get hot spotting.

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 11:42:02 AM »
Hi, im new to this whole idea and site, but like mentioned by others before i was starting off from the ideas at vdrums forum.
I recently decided that i needed to ditch the acoustic set and find an electric set so that i would be able to find a peaceful existence with my neighbors and family. Well needless to say i stumbled upon the a to e conversion and being.... frugal (broke college student), i decided that's what i should do.
Well now, after looking at the Hellfire site and the reflection plate idea, i'm coming up with a few questions.
First i want to try and build something close to the X4L mylar reflection plate idea. But i got a new idea from the videos of the new alesis pads that were on the hellfire site.
I guess my question would be, would it be a workable solution to take an aluminum plate, maybe even flashing, but should probably be thicker, and take an old CD and essentially recreate the resonant plate that is on the new alesis triggers?
our would the mylar or the practice pad version be a better option?

any ideas are welcome!

Online Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 12:42:06 PM »
Hi, im new to this whole idea and site, but like mentioned by others before i was starting off from the ideas at vdrums forum.
I recently decided that i needed to ditch the acoustic set and find an electric set so that i would be able to find a peaceful existence with my neighbors and family. Well needless to say i stumbled upon the a to e conversion and being.... frugal (broke college student), i decided that's what i should do.
Well now, after looking at the Hellfire site and the reflection plate idea, i'm coming up with a few questions.
First i want to try and build something close to the X4L mylar reflection plate idea. But i got a new idea from the videos of the new alesis pads that were on the hellfire site.
I guess my question would be, would it be a workable solution to take an aluminum plate, maybe even flashing, but should probably be thicker, and take an old CD and essentially recreate the resonant plate that is on the new alesis triggers?

any ideas are welcome!
Actually, you can do the sub resonator plate idea (old CD you stated) with the hardboard shown in the picture above of the REMO conversion. As a matter of fact I did just that. I use a hardboard main plate with a CD-R as the sub resonator and it worked great. ;)

BTW, welcome to the forum manapa99
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:52:33 PM by Hellfire »

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 03:23:05 PM »
Thanks! yeah my first build is going to be my acoustic set (pearl forum) with the trigger i/o using the basic cross member method but with wood because right now its easier for me to work with. This hopefully will get me more experience and its not so expensive, and i will be able to reuse some of the materials for my real build which will be a rack mounted X4L based idea.
now i just need to find some cake pans and a whole lot more time and money!! hahaha

i will keep u guys up to date on how its turning out!

Thanks for the designs and comments Hellfire, your site and ideas are inspiring and extremely helpful to us new comers!

Online Hellfire

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 03:42:29 PM »
Thanks! yeah my first build is going to be my acoustic set (pearl forum) with the trigger i/o using the basic cross member method but with wood because right now its easier for me to work with. This hopefully will get me more experience and its not so expensive, and i will be able to reuse some of the materials for my real build which will be a rack mounted X4L based idea.
now i just need to find some cake pans and a whole lot more time and money!! hahaha

i will keep u guys up to date on how its turning out!

Thanks for the designs and comments Hellfire, your site and ideas are inspiring and extremely helpful to us new comers!
I was thinking. You could use an off the shelf trigger mounting system when you go to do your X4L type triggers. Have a look at my eDrum Set #5 in my gallery. I used Pearl ISS mounting. It works great and you don't have to build your own mounting. Just a thought.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 04:50:02 PM »
yeah i was considering this (especially since i already own 2 with my forum set) it would make the whole pad a little easier to make and it would probably save me a ton of trouble and headache  finding hardware to make my own mounts.

hmm thanks for the tip! nice looking set there also!

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 06:46:21 PM »

any ideas are welcome!
Actually, you can do the sub resonator plate idea (old CD you stated) with the hardboard shown in the picture above of the REMO conversion. As a matter of fact I did just that. I use a hardboard main plate with a CD-R as the sub resonator and it worked great. ;)

BTW, welcome to the forum manapa99

I awfully sorry to bump, but which way should I position the CD? On top of the aluminium plate or under? Label facing down or up?
Thanks,

rekleined
Rack: Roland MDS-20 [✓]
Module: Alesis DM10 [✓] + Alesis Trigger iO [ ]
Drums: KIK: Roland KD-8 [✓], SNR, TOM1, TOM2, TOM3, TOM4: DIY Cake Pan/Reflection Plate in CB Percussion Starter Kit [ ]
Cymbals: HH: ??? + Modded FD-7 Stand