Author Topic: Alesis DM10 PRO + additional 10" pad + additional 16" cymbal possible ?  (Read 4507 times)

Offline hve

Hi guys,

Would this setup be possible with the DM10PRO module ? And is there still place for additional pads ? I see on the picture that the module has 4 additional inputs free (ride/perc1, perc2, perc3, perc4) so I guess it's possible ...)

Alesis DM10 PRO
+ additional 10" pad
+ additional 16" cymbal

Will I have have 3 zones on all cymbals this way ?

Thanks so much :)

Cheers,

Hans

Online Hellfire

Re: Alesis DM10 PRO + additional 10" pad + additional 16" cymbal possible ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 07:34:36 AM »
Hi guys,

Would this setup be possible with the DM10PRO module ? And is there still place for additional pads ? I see on the picture that the module has 4 additional inputs free (ride/perc1, perc2, perc3, perc4) so I guess it's possible ...)

Alesis DM10 PRO
+ additional 10" pad
+ additional 16" cymbal

Will I have have 3 zones on all cymbals this way ?

Thanks so much :)

Cheers,

Hans
It is possible to add the extra cymbal and drum trigger. No you will not have 3 zone cymbals on all cymbals. Only on the ride cymbal. 3 zone cymbals all the way around is a Yamaha feature on the DTX III. Again, that is a much higher end module and is like comparing apple to oranges. Roland also only has the 3 zone ride. Only Yamaha offers all cymbals as 3 zone (on the DTX III). I hope that helps.

Offline hve

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 07:38:52 AM »
Thanks a lot Hellfire,

not so much of an issue, but just curious here, on the back of the module there are two ride inputs, so the three zone is possible on both of 'm or only on the 1st ride ? This is really a small detail, but again I'm curious, I think this setup will be perfect to me, I'm just not sure yet if it will be better then a Yamaha DTXpress IV special setup or not ...

thanks again, Hans

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 07:56:50 AM »
Thanks a lot Hellfire,

not so much of an issue, but just curious here, on the back of the module there are two ride inputs, so the three zone is possible on both of 'm or only on the 1st ride ? This is really a small detail, but again I'm curious, I think this setup will be perfect to me, I'm just not sure yet if it will be better then a Yamaha DTXpress IV special setup or not ...

thanks again, Hans

The DM10 can handle only one 3 zone ride. It requires two input jack to get a 3 zone ride. That is why you see the two input jacks marked that way.

I will have to say that this is the area the Yamaha has a major advantage. Their 3 zone cymbals only use one TRS (stereo) cable. Roland and Alesis require two cable for 3 zone operation.

Offline hve

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 08:03:28 AM »
Ok, thanks Hellfire, that's one + for Yamaha, but then they use rubber cymbals, seems like most drummers really seem to appreciate the Surge cymbals over the rubber versions .... hard one here.

Maybe the solution would be to buy the Alesis set with yamaha DTXpress module ...

thanks,

Hans

Offline Guinness

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 12:51:59 PM »
Smarttrigger (google 'em) is the manufacture of the Surge cymbals.  So, you could get the Yami and add Smarttrigger cymbals (I assume).  Not, not all the cymbals from Smarttrigger (zone wise) will work as the Yamaha cymbals do.

Offline hve

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 02:32:18 PM »
Hi Guinness, yes I saw that Alesis licenced them from Smartrigger, but from what I read Alesis build them , is that right ?

Noise is not a problem for me the drums are just needed to feed Superior Drummer and we'll be using headphones for recording so ... I asked a musicstore between tyhe differences of the Yamaha and the Surge in temrs of feeling, and they said the surge are more realistic but then the Yams have three zones which is also a good + ... need to think about it a little more.

thanks,

Hans

Offline Guinness

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 02:44:13 PM »
I think you're right.  Alesis does build their own Surge, and it's just licensed from Smarttrigger.  No idea what the difference may be.

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 04:05:50 PM »
Alesis manufacture the Surge cymbals, not Smartrigger, they are only using the licensed technology.

There are pro's and con's to the Surge cymbals. They feel way more realistic in response to rubber cymbals and Surge cymbals typically offer a closer to realistic size (13" vs. 12" and 16" rides vs. 12"&15" rides). The downsize is a less sensitive trigger and much narrower trigger zone. My drummer has mentioned how sometimes hit don't register exactly correct when it wasn't an issue with the rubber Roland CY-8 cymbals. I asked though if he wants me to switch them and he said it's not a big enough deal to bother and that the realistic feel if worth the negative.

Rev.

Offline hve

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 07:34:17 AM »
Thanks Rev. interesting about the unregistered notes. I wasn't completely a fan of the Roland cymbals on my previous kit so I hope the next one will be better. Some say that the best triggers for cymbals are the Yamaha ones (not taking in account the natural feel, just trigger stability).

Cheers,
Hans