Author Topic: STRIKE module's missing functions (Alesis please read)  (Read 3902 times)

Online Hellfire

STRIKE module's missing functions (Alesis please read)
« on: April 26, 2017, 08:38:02 AM »
As a user, I would like to offer a few suggestion to improve performance of the new Strike module past the most obvious fixes that you are already aware of base on user documented issues. (i.e. better default triggering and hi-hat performance). These suggestions are not pie in the sky requests, but merely requests based on what you once considered standard equipment. Meaning these functions were all included in your previous flagship module.

ZONE TALK - All adjacent zones (i.e. zones that are next to each other on the same trigger) require a "Zone Talk" parameter control. Adjustable zone talk control makes it possible to trigger adjacent zones at the same time. Currently the Strike module is unable to trigger adjacent zones at the same time. This ability is important when it comes to triggering a snare shot naturally or when trying to split a dual zone input into two independent single zone triggers. Currently to hit a rim shot I must make sure I only hit the rim and the rim only. This isn't natural when hitting a true "rim shot". Please keep in mind that it is okay if the head zone triggers slightly at the same time as the rim at higher velocities (like when striking the head and rim together as in a "rim shot"). At lower velocities there should be a true separation between the head and rim zone (like when performing a "rim click") . This is only possible with a "Zone talk" control. Not having this kind of control severely limits the realism of your product. Again, it is important to understand that this isn't limited to just the snare. This should be standard on all multi zone inputs.

AUTO HI-HAT CALIBRATION FUNCTION - Being able to tell the module "this is full open" and "this is full closed" would not only increase the playability of your current hi-hat control but would also allow users to use other controllers. This was a standard function on your previous flagship module the DM10. Again, not having this kind of control severely limits the module and it's ease of use.

REINITIALIZE FUNCTION - No where that is documented does it state how to reinitialize the Strike back to factory defaults. This tends to be a standard function in your modules going all the way back to the D4. Without this basic function, it is difficult to start fresh when trying to program things such as trigger settings.

TRIGGER METER - A trigger intensity meter when editing trigger parameters. This could look like a simple bar meter. It would let the user have a visual reference when deciding what kind of sensitivity or velocity curve to use.

UNNECESSARY TEMPO FLASHING - Please do not have the "TEMPO" flash unless the metronome is turned on. Having it flash constantly severs no propose and gives the impression that something wrong that needs attention at that moment. 

Start up Kit - On start-up of the module, it should load the last kit used. Unfortunately it always starts from the first kit. This was a huge complaint on the DM10 that was never addressed and I'm quite shocked that the Strike has the same short coming. Because of the extended load time, it is even more important that the Strike has this ability to start-up on the last kit used.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:43:32 PM by Hellfire »

Re: STRIKE module's missing functions (Alesis please read)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 01:39:42 PM »
Wouldn't it be better to post this in the official Alesis forum or their Facebook instead of here?

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 01:58:44 PM »
I was surprised the zone crosstalk was eliminated.
At least they were smart enough to leave the velocity dynamics alone.
JimmyB

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 02:36:51 PM »
Wouldn't it be better to post this in the official Alesis forum or their Facebook instead of here?

I still may post it over on their support forum but, Alesis knows me and they do read this site.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 04:24:44 PM »
These suggestions are not pie in the sky requests, but merely requests based on what you once considered standard equipment. Meaning these functions were all included in your previous flagship module.

ZONE TALK - All adjacent zones (i.e. zones that are next to each other on the same trigger) require a "Zone Talk" parameter control. Adjustable zone talk control makes it possible to trigger adjacent zones at the same time. Currently the Strike module is unable to trigger adjacent zones at the same time. This ability is important when it comes to triggering a snare shot naturally or when trying to split a dual zone input into two independent single zone triggers. Currently to hit a rim shot I must make sure I only hit the rim and the rim only. This isn't natural when hitting a true "rim shot". Please keep in mind that it is okay if the head zone triggers slightly at the same time as the rim at higher velocities (like when striking the head and rim together as in a "rim shot"). At lower velocities there should be a true separation between the head and rim zone (like when performing a "rim click") . This is only possible with a "Zone talk" control. Not having this kind of control severely limits the realism of your product. Again, it is important to understand that this isn't limited to just the snare. This should be standard on all multi zone inputs.

Is this issue similar to a 'mute group' action, which is kinda like what I was querying about the hihat response.

I'm also curious to know if the saved version of a multi-layer preset kit (with minor parameter changes) loads any slower from the SD card than the same preset kit from internal memory. The reason for asking is related to this note in the Strike manual:
"Important: If you edit a preset kit and then save it, the saved kit will be stored onto your SD card, while the original preset kit remains unchanged on the module’s internal memory. You must have your SD card inserted into the SD card slot in order to save changes to preset kits."
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 04:37:43 PM by rhysT »

Online ChrisK

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 04:36:17 PM »
Alesis Released Firmware update for Strike Latest Firmware Version: 1.10 Release Date: April 25th , 2017
Changes Since Firmware Version 1.00
-Improved overall drum and cymbal trigger performance.
-Improved hi-hat pedal performance, including greater dynamic range for “chick”  sound and a more forgiving
-Triggers Pedal adjustment process.
-Minor bug fixes
http://5a18fcdc5c8aa2617926-54d68a14e2e7c1f76563a2d8c3e9fd82.r82.cf2.rackcdn.com/1550/downloads/Alesis%20Strike%20Firmware%20Update%20v1_1.zip
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 04:53:58 PM by ChrisK »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 09:47:52 PM »
Start up Kit - On start-up of the module, it should load the last kit used. Unfortunately it always starts from the first kit. This was a huge complaint on the DM10 that was never addressed and I'm quite shocked that the Strike has the same short coming. Because of the extended load time, it is even more important that the Strike has this ability to start-up on the last kit used.

Why does Strike always start up on kit one? I added another missing function (last kit used on start-up). Though it was never included on the DM10, it was the number one complaint about the module by it users. I see this as a huge over site.

Just so you guys know, as time goes on I may add to this list.

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 10:01:04 AM »
There was a workaround on the DM10. I forget what it was. But it made the kit you wanted come up at start up. I wonder if that works on the strike?
JimmyB

Offline Iggford

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 10:16:56 AM »
There was a workaround on the DM10. I forget what it was. But it made the kit you wanted come up at start up. I wonder if that works on the strike?
JimmyB

I believe it was setting your desired startup kit as the default kit for Sequence 00, or the very first one.  Not in front of my module, so I can't remember how it is numbered.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 10:55:49 AM »
JimmyB

The work around was setting your default kit for the first sequence. That will not work on the Strike because the Strike has no sequences.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 11:24:55 AM by Hellfire »

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 12:45:16 PM »
Oh, that sucks. I like messing with the sequences when working out new kicks.
JimmyB

Offline rhysT

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 07:43:53 AM »
JimmyB

The work around was setting your default kit for the first sequence. That will not work on the Strike because the Strike has no sequences.

Another DM10 sequencer related trick is using the Accomp bass notes in each kit as a tuning aid for toms, etc.
More info soon in a separate topic with updated settings for most of the kits.

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 09:34:24 PM »
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. Has anyone seen a module (a replacement - refurbished) Strike module that states "SD CARD ERROR" ? My fist module was sent in for the low volume issue and this one has a SD card error right out of the box. I updated the module with the firmware update and still had the issue. What gives with this module?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:38:25 PM by Rushfan74 »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 09:39:21 PM »
Has anyone seen a module (a replacement - refurbished) Strike module that states "SD CARD ERROR" ? My fist module was sent in for the low volume issue and this one has a SD card error right out of the box. I updated the module with the firmware update and still had the issue. What gives with this module?

I heard of one other person having the same problem. You need to call Alesis support and tell them about your new issue.

Online ChrisK

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 04:36:35 PM »
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. Has anyone seen a module (a replacement - refurbished) Strike module that states "SD CARD ERROR" ? My fist module was sent in for the low volume issue and this one has a SD card error right out of the box. I updated the module with the firmware update and still had the issue. What gives with this module?

I tough it was you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn-UYudKW64

You need to Call Alesis to sent one to you