Author Topic: SR-18 and General MIDI  (Read 3390 times)

SR-18 and General MIDI
« on: June 19, 2011, 06:59:59 PM »
Hi,

Reading through the Pattern & Sound List for the SR-18.  I see each is listed by number, then by name.  How are these Patterns & Sounds accessed through General MIDI, please?

Thanks...
GEAR:
-Alesis SR-18 with Firmware ld32-app-1.02.syx
-Alesis Q49
-QTractor
-Mackie Blackjack
-Sony OE Headphones
-Shure IE Monitors

Offline vaikl

Re: SR-18 and General MIDI
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 04:34:18 PM »
Reading through the Pattern & Sound List for the SR-18.  I see each is listed by number, then by name.  How are these Patterns & Sounds accessed through General MIDI, please?

Patterns are not part of the GeneralMIDI specifications and the numbers you see in the list are internal list numbers, not GM numbers. GM numbers are valid in a range from 1 to 128 (or 0 to 127).

For instruments/sounds there's a MIDI map on page 46 of the SR-18 manual. Every pad has a certain MIDI note number and that number has an equivalent key on a keyboard (36 for C1, 38 for D1, 37 for C#1 etc.). This is a partial GM standard drum map, so if you have an external MIDI instrument that can transmit these standard MIDI notes, you can play the SR-18 sounds in a kit. You can't access *all* sounds via GM, only the ones that are loaded in a kit are accessible.

To change a kit remotely you need to send Program Change messages with the kit numbers of the list you've mentioned to your SR-18.

Re: SR-18 and General MIDI
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 07:12:20 PM »
Perfect!  Just what I needed.  Thank you very much.

Kindly,
SHD
GEAR:
-Alesis SR-18 with Firmware ld32-app-1.02.syx
-Alesis Q49
-QTractor
-Mackie Blackjack
-Sony OE Headphones
-Shure IE Monitors