Author Topic: Advice needed on A2E conversion  (Read 1371 times)

Advice needed on A2E conversion
« on: May 20, 2017, 04:06:02 PM »
Hello,

I could use some advice from the community about an accoustic-to-electronic conversion.

A few questions:

1) What triggers do you guys recommend to work best with mesh heads on an accoustic kit? I want to sell my Alesis DM10X and just use my real kit with triggers and mesh heads. I will likely swap them out for real heads when I gig. Looking to get the Pearl Mimic Pro module when it is released.

2) Which mesh heads work well for a good balance of feel and trigger sensitivity?

3) Is it true the mesh heads can ruin the bearing edge on a drum shell? If so, do any mesh head manufacturers offer a head that has any type of lining to correct for that?

Thanks!

Allan

Re: Advice needed on A2E conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 11:33:48 AM »
Hello,

I could use some advice from the community about an accoustic-to-electronic conversion.

A few questions:

1) What triggers do you guys recommend to work best with mesh heads on an accoustic kit? I want to sell my Alesis DM10X and just use my real kit with triggers and mesh heads. I will likely swap them out for real heads when I gig. Looking to get the Pearl Mimic Pro module when it is released.

2) Which mesh heads work well for a good balance of feel and trigger sensitivity?

3) Is it true the mesh heads can ruin the bearing edge on a drum shell? If so, do any mesh head manufacturers offer a head that has any type of lining to correct for that?

Thanks!

Allan

Hi this post may be redundant as it is a very late reply and you may have already sorted this

i am in the process of doing a similar conversion myself and my knowledge is limited but i feel i can answer these questions for you.

1. i am using ddrum red shot triggers and they work great for me. if you are wanting dual zone snare then perhaps get ddrum pros as red shots are single zone only

2. double ply mesh heads tend to be a good way to go, even though i only use a 2 ply on my kick, having a more solid mesh head will limit the possibility of false triggering.

3. i don't know how much truth there is in mesh heads ruining your bearing edges but i like to be safe than sorry. just put a layer of insulation tape around the edge and that is no longer a potential problem =)
pearl forum fz A to E conversion (half complete)
ddrum redshot triggers, Pearl muffle heads, unbranded 2 ply mesh kick head
Alesis DM5
Tama iron cobra jr double pedal