Author Topic: Pro X hi hat connection  (Read 3740 times)

Pro X hi hat connection
« on: June 25, 2016, 12:36:47 PM »
I did a lot of reading on these and find only people dissatisfied with their performance .

You must connect the bottom hat controller to your module with a stereo TRS cable, the mono one that comes with the kit causes them not to work properly,also once connected via TRS cable, set a velocity curve for the pedal that suits your playing,the top hat and pedal curves can be set separatly once you use a TRS cable.

Offline AlanK

Re: Pro X hi hat connection
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 10:33:19 AM »
seriously?? I'll have to check to see what I've got mine set up with (I'd imagine mono but there's always a possibility I used TRS by mistake).. mine's not perfect and it plays and I'm getting used to modifying my style to make the Pro X work ok, but if it improves using a stereo connector by leaps and bounds that would be incredible! (and of course shame on Alesis for not getting the cabling or instructions right!)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 06:20:18 PM »
seriously?? I'll have to check to see what I've got mine set up with (I'd imagine mono but there's always a possibility I used TRS by mistake).. mine's not perfect and it plays and I'm getting used to modifying my style to make the Pro X work ok, but if it improves using a stereo connector by leaps and bounds that would be incredible! (and of course shame on Alesis for not getting the cabling or instructions right!)

You are definately using a mono plug, the bottom cymbal connection is responsible for the fully closed position.if you unplug the bottom cymbal when using a TRS cable you cannot get a closed high hat sound. The controller is responsible for all their positions.itwirks flawlessly when connected properly with a TRS. When you use a mono cable , it shorts out the stereo connection. This then makes the controller work like the original separate pedal. You will get the closed sound but it is unreliable and half open hats are almost impossible without choking the sound due to top cymba movement when struck.

The action is flawless now and you get reliable triggering at all positions, barking the hats is impeccable!!

I bet 100% of people that buy these hats are upgrading a current kit and are reusing the mono plug in the kits snake.This is where your problems are coming from. I say it from experience , other than it being loud when struck and only being single zone, this hats design is prolly better than my vh13 on my td30.its function when connected correctly is certainly on par. The vh13 was $800 Canadian, the pro x was $129.00 Canadian, a steal!!!!

Alesis,if your reading , these things should be flying off the shelf, the instructions should clearly state that you have to use a TRS cable.You're welcome, I'd gladly take a strike pro kit and retire the td30 , maybe now you'll be able to clear out your inventory of these hats.

Guys I'll post my settings for you to get you started!

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 10:34:24 PM »
I'm very interested in your settings. I had posted mine some time ago, I thought I'd found the best response with spline curves on both the hat and pedal curves. Anyhow, I had a look and it turns out I had stereo on both top hat and pedal connector (I feel like that's what was in the Pro X package but not absolutely sure.. yet I would have/should have had TS on the original pedal and/or hat, right?).

So I switched out the top hat with a TS cable. It does seem like I've got better response, but i did end up finding better response with Exp2 curves this time, and I also raised the top hat a couple inches, and set my calibration to 80/20 I think (sorry, I farted around with variations so kind of forget what i stuck with in the end but think it was 70 or 80 open and 20 or 30 closed).

I did get pretty sweet chicking, nice barking response, various open positions, tight closed position, I can splash it over and over predictably. I do get a bit of inconsistency in the chicking when I'm doing it alone, testing it out but I think that's partly my pedal (heavy spring) and also I'm pretty out of practice with my hi-hat foot timing wise.. I can get it sounding nice and consistent if I'm playing on the ride and it sounds beautiful and a nice solid chick.. the odd thing is if I tap softly with my foot (bending at the ankle, heel down) I get a certain solid chick sound.. if I stomp down with the ball of my foot, especially as I speed up, it's a lighter chick sound that almost has a slower lead in sound to the chick, a longer build up to the chick kind of thing.

In any case I'm sure half of it is that I still need to get used to the sound and feel and how to position my foot or how to come down on the pedal.. I haven't played much acoustic drum in the last 25 years so my first 2 years back was getting used to the realhat pedal, now I'm re-learning the sensitivity of a hi-hat stand/pedal plus i'm in my 50's now and I get some numbness and tingling in my hands and feet so it messes with my ability to keep time or feel the pedals and sticks sometimes.. but it's still so much fun and joy to re-experience it all.

Thanks for the tips, man, that's great info and i'm even more satisfied with the Pro X now.. I still have to test it with my Addicitve Drums
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 04:23:18 AM »
Hi guys ! I assume that connecting the Prox X Hi-Hat to a DM10 module "MK1" with TRS is different from connecting it to a DM10 MK2 (or Crimson) module ? I ask that because MK2 has a sort of snake connection vs DM MK1 has lots of jack connections behind the module.

thanks !

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 10:15:50 PM »
I have a similar question to Chaosphere. The DM8 Pro module has a snake connection with a single TS on it for the hi hat top- how  do I set that up to use the TRS? Will I need to use one of the Perc 1/ Perc 2 TRS inputs?