Author Topic: Mesh Head Conversion for DM10X  (Read 2263 times)

Mesh Head Conversion for DM10X
« on: November 11, 2015, 11:03:06 PM »
Fellow drummers, this is my first post. I know there have been dozens of postings about converting the DM10X kit (NOT the new Mesh kit) from mylar to mesh heads. Unfortunately I've read most of them and came away with my head spinning.

I'm hoping one of the experts (Trondster, Gerdy, Hellfire keep coming up) or anyone who's done this successfully can give me a quick and simple answer.

I want to convert the DM10X (2013) to mesh heads. I've ordered single ply Pearl Muffle Heads that should be arriving soon. I really would like to avoid soldering or anything that requires  electrical wiring changes as I'm not that handy. I'm trying to figure out, if I just re-arrange, add, or subtract foam, what my best options are.

-- which brand, type, and thickness of foam to use for 8", 10" and 12" pads (it seems like there are different recommendations for each on the posts)
-- what order to stack foam for each drum
-- I'm in the US so would love to limit options to items I can buy here

I was going to buy the 682 but read many mixed reviews. The Drum-Tec looked perfect but $200+ seemed outrageous to me.

I'm not a particularly hard hitter and don't play all that often. I want quiet playing, good bounce, and good uniformity without having to spend hours testing and tweaking different settings. As a parent my time is limited and I want to spend it playing, not engineering.

Who's got a good answer for me? Let the advice begin!
Thanks to all who take the time to do this. You guys rock.

Offline ClaudioCas

Re: Mesh Head Conversion for DM10X
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 08:17:46 AM »
Hi AJRube,
there are many conversion method (it's really a DIY and personal thing!)
I suggest to you to read:
Hellfire method for 8" and 10"
Gerdy method for 12"

Claudio

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 12:37:44 PM »
Thanks. After reading several posts I ordered 1/4" neoprene foam from Amazon for $25 and my Pearl Muffleheads are arriving today. I'm thinking I will try the least disruptive method first (i.e. similar to the Drum-Tec method) but with my own heads and neoprene, and see how that works.

If anyone has other tips I am open to them. Thanks!

Offline Khes74

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 02:35:35 PM »
The cone is the simplest, although irreversible and should feel the best.

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 01:33:50 PM »
Hey AJRube how did the conversion turn out?

Offline ClaudioCas

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 10:40:33 AM »
yes... any news about that?

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 11:49:04 AM »
Sorry for the delayed response, I just realized a few people asked for an update. Here's what I'd tell you. I'm generally happy with the way it turned out. I made a quick video to show you a few options:

https://goo.gl/photos/FGxD12MSymf8kGi37

I ended up using 1/4" speaker foam as it was much quieter than the 1/4" neoprene. It's hard to tell on the video, but it real life there's a pretty big difference, the speaker foam was much quieter and felt much more like the Roland head setup.

I am experiencing issues with uneveness in the rims on the 12" pads, where they don't appear to be perfectly round. I'm trying to figure out how to deal with that.

Hope this helps!