Author Topic: Crash Cymbal with Effects Problem  (Read 1305 times)

Crash Cymbal with Effects Problem
« on: June 25, 2018, 03:50:35 PM »
I have had great success through the years with my DM10 Studio kit. I have enjoyed playing and recording with it. However, recently the dual zone crash cymbal picked up a flanging/chorusing effect. It doesn't happen all the time but it is annoying. I have tried using other cymbal samples, turned all effects off and changed the cable but regardless, it still comes across as sounding like its running through a flanger or chorus. It happens about every 30 crashes and I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this phenomena?

Thanks!

Offline korakios

Re: Crash Cymbal with Effects Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 06:34:53 AM »
The effect you describe is definitely double triggering.
Try increasing the retrigger setting ;)

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 10:09:10 AM »
Thanks! I will try this tonight and see what happens..

Online AlanK

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 11:34:42 AM »
Hi guys.. I've heard the notorious flange effect in loads of the DM10's cymbals, I assumed it was just their love of the effect. I don't think it's necessarily a triggering problem. When I first began loathing it, I would only use crash voices that didn't have it and I modified a lot of the prebuilt kits and definitely avoided the flanged crashes when I built my own kits in the module.

I don't hear anything when I choose other cymbal voices. I now exclusively use Addictive and I also don't get signs of double hit type effects and I haven't had to change my retrigger settings at all. I think they use a lot of flange, delay, reverb, whatever in their samples.. also spent some time changing the overall room FX settings as there are a load of flange type/echo/reverb room configs that they tend to use as default as well.

I can't afford a Strike set/module yet but with the DM10 I am convinced their cymbal selections (and toms) are lacking. But just to restate, if I fire up my module and play a bunch of their kits, the flange cymbals are in tons of their presets, or if I scroll through the crashes and test them.. if I go straight ove to Addictive with the same trigger settings etc, haven't touched a thing, I get beautiful crashes and rides with no echo, no flange, unless I specifically set it or choose ones that have it on.

Just my 2 cents worth?
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline korakios

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 04:53:42 PM »
@AlanK this is different,
OP said it’s not always happening so I assume double triggering.

In your case it should happen in every 2 (and above) hits because the samples in DM10 lack the variety of a VST . So hitting twice or more the same sample on a short period of time causes the flange effect .
Most users don’t even hear it ,so no problems  :P

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 11:15:03 AM »
Korakios,

I checked the re-trigger setting on the crash cymbal and...... it was at 0. All other cymbals were at 15 so I bumped it up to 15 and after 1 hour off playing and trying to make it flange, it wouldn't. Thanks again for the help. Saved me a lot of potential grief. Alesis said there was nothing I could do to fix it and referred me to their approved repair facilities..

Offline korakios

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 03:42:01 AM »
Most people on tech support haven’t touched the actual hardware ;) Best case scenario they have read the manual  :P