Author Topic: DIY Mulitipad  (Read 8048 times)

Offline Dobly

Re: DIY Mulitipad
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2017, 12:24:22 AM »
Hey Dobly, maybe a fitting like this could adapt the speaker bracket to your multi-clamp: https://www.bunnings.com.au/pope-19mm-tail-x-25mm-bsp-male-director-5-pack_p3130440

Wouldn't that be amazing. If the thick end of that hose fitting fit snugly into the bottom of the mount such that adding a little glue and it is there forever..

I don't have the mounts yet. I bought them online yesterday. So I'll be down to Bunnings once I get them. Another great idea rhysT.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 06:01:09 AM by Dobly »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2017, 01:43:55 AM »
Having gotten the mount for the left side MTMMMES sorted I turned my attention to the right side.

My plan was to use the end cymbal mount on the rack there. As I use a real ride on it's own stand with this kit that just had a boom arm with a small e-cymbal going into the sample rack. I don't need that now so I gain a spot for this project.

Now, what was the chance that the L brackets would fit the old pipe from under my house?

With that in mind what is the chance that this pipe is EXACTLY the same size as the cymbal arm I took out and is a perfect fit in the rack??

Filing and sanding and cleaning with metho is done, the first coat of paint is drying outside as i type this.

Again, this pipe is too long. I'll cut it down at the end.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2017, 02:33:23 AM »
OK Dobly, I reckon you might be trying to emulate this guy with your MTMMMES setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1e9Ay1GCy8   8)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 04:53:13 AM by rhysT »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2017, 06:42:09 AM »
OK Dobly, I reckon you might be trying to emulate this guy with your MTMMMES setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1e9Ay1GCy8   8)

I cannot deny that Micheal Schack was a huge inspiration to me moving from an acoustic kit which I played since the mid 80s to a electric kit.  Thing he said which really resonated with me was that as an edrummer he wears the same shoes, uses the same sticks, plays the same stuff as a drummer on an acousitic kit. That there is not such judgment made between a guitarist on an acoustic guitar or electric guitar. They are both guitarists. The same should apply for drummers on e kits.

Words to that effect anyway.

He also showed me how hard you could hit electric drums. But I could not do that on the original DM10X pads. So a searched for mod that would allow that sort of playing. My latest mod does that an more.

Certainly I want to explore the looping of stuff he plays. But with Aussie tunes......

US Forces give the nod... US  US US US US forces  etc etc... (Midnight Oil: Awesome Aussie band)

Another drummer I want to get some inspiration from is this one..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1jPudE8eRE

I can play ok left handed and often have done the odd song here an there left handed as an exercise. I'll be able to do that more with an MTMMMES on my left. ;)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 06:55:50 AM by Dobly »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2017, 06:54:13 AM »
So. I need to make cables for this project from the MTMMMES to the Sample Rack. I could buy ready made stereo tsr cables but they are of 'approximate' length. I want close to exact length for these cables. Only option is to make them myself.

i am sourcing the parts.

First I tried Jaycar. Jaycar in Australia is a big electronic franchise. The sort of shop that sells everything from cable to resistors and from radio control car kits to small solar panels.

Ok this is in the right area but not what i need. I need just the 6.5 (technically 6.35mm) plug.

I found them just under this plug..

How much? $5.25!! Each??  I need 6 of them. That'll be over $30 for 6 plugs. No thanks.

I found them on EBay.

Much better. And Gold to match the text on my MTMMMES'.  (plus the had the technically correct size)

Offline rhysT

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2017, 06:18:48 PM »
 ;)
Another drummer I want to get some inspiration from is this one..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1jPudE8eRE

Thanks for the link although watching Simon Phillips perform reminds me I need to practise more often: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEP6p0PJQnM
and now I want 3 snare drums after seeing this (4 part) demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNG1ZhsQQBI
;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 05:37:25 PM by rhysT »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2017, 01:41:46 AM »
Small update today.

I got the left mounting bracket back on the rack and was trying to measure up where to cut it.

Alas I can't do that yet. I don't yet have the base mounts for the MTMMMES. They are ordered but i really need them installed to have them mounted so I can make a proper measurement to cut this down.  I do know I cant have it too short else the Sample Rack will disappear behind the hi hats. I need to be able to see it.

As for the right side I got the metal rod painted and it looks great (amazing what a bit of sanding and come gloss black paint can do).

On top of that I just bought one of these from Roodiment.

That MTMMMES will be easy to place. 

Roodiment is an Aussie drum hardware company. If you are an Aussie give them a try. So far I have this clamp and a legless hi hat stand and a clamp to hold it. The Hi Hat stand works great. Could not ask for more and it was only $120 (AUS) or so.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 01:58:33 AM by Dobly »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2017, 11:42:20 PM »
Still waiting for the delivery of my mounting bracket for both MTMMMES and the stereo TSR plugs I bought from China.

In the mean time I got the Sample Rack mounted. Just like before as the unit is leaning backwards, I only need the bottom nuts to hold it in place. Gravity does the rest.

I looks above that its very close to the Hi Hat. It's not. There is about 45mm (1.5 inches) or so between the two.

The bottom nut on the multi bracket on top of the Sample rack is VERY close but not touching.

Another thing.. When the mounts arrive I fear they will be too tall for the one above the sample rack.

What I'll do is cut it down to size..

Offline Dobly

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2017, 05:04:40 AM »
The mounting bits for the bottom of each MTMMMES arrived today..

Not attached yet. Just sitting there for the photo.

The opening on the bottom is 35mm. (1.3"). Not sure if the hose fitting rhysT suggested will fit in there. Will see tomorrow.

It's depth is around 65mm (2.5"). Only really needs to be as deep as 'whatever it is I put in there'. I'll work that out soon.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2017, 07:29:56 AM »
Hey Dobly the poly pipe fitting thread is just less than 35mm diameter so you could trim the clamp collar and secure it with a few screws.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2017, 08:43:52 AM »
There you go again rhysT.. Flexing your DIY muscles.. :) I'll drop by Bunnings tomorrow. My only concern with this hose fittings if I over tighten the clamps that press the item from one side and the other (not all around). It might crush the plastic.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2017, 10:13:07 PM »
Following once again the advice of rhysT I went to Bunnings to look at hose fittings..

Concerns for breaking the plastic hose fitting with the clamp disappeared when i found these..

As you can see it does not fit. But only by about 1mm.

I'll shave a little off the outside of each and they will fit snugly.

I have a plan for securing them in the pipe but more on that later. The pipe is way too long and I am about to cut it down to size. Down to the top of the support ribs. (best not remove them) ;)

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 06:02:04 AM by Dobly »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2017, 11:51:29 PM »
Time to hack.. First i marked with tape where I would be sawing. Just as a guide.. I then bolted the two mounts together. Then I wedged them between two bricks and put a stack of bricks on top. This was to help hold the mounts still when I started sawing.

It worked

I no time flat I had both mounts cut down to size.

Next I spent about 45 minutes on one of the brass clamps trying to file it down to make it fit.

I even sanded the inside of the mount a little.

After 45 minutes the first one only 'just' fits.. <sigh>

Back to it.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2017, 06:31:37 AM »
They now fit (here is one of them)

More on this mod tomorrow.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2017, 12:05:37 AM »
Regarding THIS clamp for my right side..

As you can see it has teeth so you can adjust it to where you need it, right?

Inside one of the clamps is the screw you undo to loosen the unit, right?

Just as nature intended.. I stuck in a big screw drive and gave it a twist.

It did not budge.

I look in the other side and I could see what looked like epoxy resin around the screw.

This thing is GLUED SHUT.

No to be outdone I took the item outside , wedged it between two bricks and with my knees holding the lot together i put all weight and grip strength into the screw.

I could not move it!  ???

Not to be beaten I hit google on how to remove epoxy.

Heat.  8)

I fired up the pizza oven and put the clamp in.

When it got this hot I grabbed the item with a gloved hand and stuck the screw driver in.

You can not beat a DIY master. :)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 02:40:01 AM by Dobly »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2017, 12:42:58 AM »
Adding the mounts.

I was pleased that there was enough slack in the cabling to open the boxes and do this.

And with a straight edge went corner to corner to find the center.

Next i drilled a hole down the middle of the pipe part of the mount. You can just see that here along with the filed tap fitting and 3 big washers. They are to space up the area under the tap fitting. They go in first and the tap fitting will be tight against them once I do the bolt up.

Here is the base upside down. I am measuring up washers to level with the bottom of the mount. They are to go in that bolt. This is because that bolt sticking up in this shot is starting in the top of the hose fitting and into the wooded base below. Once i tighten it I don't want to crack the mount.

Here is the view now that all the bolts are added.

And on the business side....

Coming up next, the money shots..  8)

Offline Dobly

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2017, 12:50:42 AM »
Without any further ado... The MTMMMES (Mega-Twin Modular Multipad Musical Expression System) is mounted.

Next behind MTMMMES 1.

And behind 2. (note: the camera was crooked, not the pole)

I had to stand on a stool and hold the phone up near the 9' ceiling to get this shot. Took my 8 goes to get this lined up right.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2017, 02:44:13 AM »
Without any further ado... The MTMMMES (Mega-Twin Modular Multipad Musical Expression System) is mounted.

Well done Dobly for your DIY MTMMMES kit expansion and deserving of a MacGyver award for improvising with available resources.

Your next challenge is to update the attached award to test your digital recycling ingenuity.   8)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:18:36 AM by rhysT »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2017, 03:29:57 AM »
You mean like this? :)

Offline Dobly

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2017, 04:13:43 AM »
To Do:

There are a few things left to do on this project. One must have. One would be good to have. One nice to have.

1. (must have). I have not got the stereo TSR plugs yet. Now that the system is mounted I need to make the cables. I can measure and cut the cable but I need those plugs to get the cables done.

2. (good to have)I mentioned some posts ago that I need to flip the pads around and make the metal plates under them 100 x 100mm. (currently 85 by 85mm). I was dreading this as cutting the metal was a nasty job that I am not keen to repeat.  That said I found some 100mm by 100mm metal plates at Bunnings. They are 3mm thick. Way thinker than the 0.98mm metal i used here. Still I'll try one and see how it goes.

3. (nice to have) The tap fitting worked a treat on this project. But there is one small issue with it. And that is the shape of it.

When I attach it to my clamps, the clamp bit does not sit flat. Instead it has to twist to tighten. This is different between my two clamps as you'll below. I am worried about the wear and tear on the clamps.

The old left clamp has an issue were the nut is wider than the rest of the fitting.

Maybe I could file down the nut part.

The left clamp has a more difficult problem.

As you can see, thanks to the shape of the clamp I cannot push the fitting on any further. so the bottom of the clamp is grabbing nothing.

I need to straighten up and lengthen these fittings. At least i have a solid base to start with.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:49:14 AM by Dobly »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2017, 06:55:29 AM »
I'm not surprised you nailed the award update challenge, but you've made the multipad mount a bit trickier than it needed to be.
As the fittings can't be returned, you could try filing down the edges on the hex section or maybe add a short piece of hose/tube onto the narrower section.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2017, 08:23:40 AM »
What do you mean 'can't be returned'. Just a little scratch..  ;D

Once I tell them it was for the MTMMMES build .....  ???

Yes, I thinking some metal pipe. I will screw, solder or weld on. It is a very solid base that will be no problem to attach something too.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2017, 09:54:47 PM »
I have had a brainstorm for fixing the shape of the fitting problem. More later.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2017, 02:36:50 AM »
Mounting issue solved..

First i got some metal pipe that almost fit over the fitting

and cut off a piece the height of the fitting.. Like I said, it almost fit.

I spent about 10 minutes on each mount to file away the bolt shaped bit.

Now it fit but I had neglected to fix the issue with the #2 MTMMMES where the clamp needed more room to grab onto.

After measuring the deficit I needed about 10mm (about 1/3 of an inch) more pipe. This meant of course I'd need a new longer bolt up through the fitting. (2nd trip to Bunnings today)

In another stroke of MTMMMES luck i had some washers down stairs in a box EXACTLY the same size as the pipe. These came in very handy.

Perfect. I love when an ill-conceived plan comes together.  ;)

Here is one of the now longer pipe bits during installation ready for the new longer bolts.

The filing was done such that getting the pipes on to the fitting required some tapping with a hammer. Even at that point there I can lift the entire MTMMMES just from holding that pipe.

Now installed the clamps are much happier and the MTMMMES units more stable.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2017, 07:09:48 AM »
Still waiting for my 6 x stereo tsr plugs I went to Jaycar and bough 6 of these (just $2.50 each).

I then measured out and cut the cables and soldered one of these onto the edge of each.

Plugged into an MTMMMES it they will look like this.

This project is 6 x TSR plugs from finished.