Author Topic: Lucky Alesis Crimson Mesh owner...just getting started!  (Read 1932 times)

Lucky Alesis Crimson Mesh owner...just getting started!
« on: July 15, 2017, 04:07:51 PM »
Hey everyone, I was so happy to stumble on a forum dedicated to Alesis drums.   I bought a (now vintage) Alesis ControlPad and have really enjoyed it.   When my Yamaha XPlorer set finally died I decided to upgrade to the Alesis Crimson Mesh and also threw down cash for a fourth tom and second crash since the brain unit already had very convenient ports unlike my cousin's more expensive Roland (he had to get a special Y adapter).   I bought my kit used - it was the floor model from my local Guitar Center - and it took a while to get everything balanced and sound leveled and I'm still not done.   

Two things today...

1. Has anyone used the Crimson Mesh kit with Superior Drummer?   How was your experience?

2. Is the Alesis.com site on the fritz?   I can hit the home page but can't login or do much of anything.   I get HTTP 500 errors and looks like php errors too.

Glad to be here.

Bret
-------------------------
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit
Expansion Tom 4
Expansion Crash 2

Re: Lucky Alesis Crimson Mesh owner...just getting started!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 04:08:48 PM »
Forgot to post a pic of my setup!
-------------------------
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit
Expansion Tom 4
Expansion Crash 2

Re: Lucky Alesis Crimson Mesh owner...just getting started!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 05:19:54 PM »
I'm using Superior Drummer with the Crimson kit.  I don't think you can change the MIDI notes that the brain produces with the Crimson.  Superior Drummer allows you to re-map the kit in the software whereas EZdrummer drummer does not (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) 

I've bought the Custom and Vintage expansion pack but I tend to use the Avatar kit that came with it.  I also bought some presets where some clever chaps have pre mixed the drums. I haven't found many usable ones though and I tend to just enjoy the raw unprocessed samples which is more like sitting behind a real kit.

One problem I recently solved was re-mapping the drums. I couldn't do it for the life of me. All I was able to do was add a sample to an existing sound rather than replace it, so I'd end up with a cow bell and a tom-rim together rather than the cowbell taking the place of the tom-rim.  I was using the preset mapping for an Alesis kit.  Once I had the brainwave to stop doing that and just open up Superior Drummer and map it all manually (of which nothing needed to be changed anyway...) it all fell into place.

Still only just getting into it now I've loaded it onto a laptop.  I previously had it on a computer the other side of the room.  Every time I wanted to tweak or adjust something it was a pain in the arse.

I hope that helps a bit. I really do recommend using Superior Drummer.  It makes it sound so much better.  When you go back to the module samples they sound like toy drums.