Author Topic: Snare clamp not strong enough to hold?  (Read 6572 times)

Snare clamp not strong enough to hold?
« on: December 20, 2011, 01:41:49 PM »
I have the DM10 Studio kit and I'm noticing regardless of how tight I have the clamp for the snare stand that it will inevitably move on me and it will always be while I'm in the middle of playing a song because that's just my luck.

I have to constantly adjust or move the snare back up to its original spot (upwards).

Is anyone else having or had this issue and is there any fixes for it? My toms do not have the same problem, just the snare that wants to move in the downward position the more and more that I strike the snare. Thanks.

Sean

Offline einarabelc5

Re: Snare clamp not strong enough to hold?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 04:00:44 PM »
Un-adjust the bolts on the pipe (that ones that hold the pipe to the leg not the ones that hold the pipe itself)

My snare bounces ALL the time and I don't have a problem with it.

Good Luck.

Offline Ennuk3

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 04:04:40 PM »
Just tighten it hard and I mean HARD. Only thing that works.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 07:50:24 PM »
I set mine up so that the snare is actually sitting with the pipe centered underneath it.  That means I move the clamp back and have the snare run down the length of the pipe.  Since I hit the snare relatively near the center I only have to adjust maybe once during a session, and even that is a minor adjustment.

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 07:55:50 PM »
I picked up a used (almost new) arm, attached it to the left corner leg, and mounted my snare on it.  My snare is also almost directly straight out from the arm, so it doesn't move at all.

I got a mounting clamp separately online, too, but not an Alesis... maybe a Gibraltar?

I might try to pick up another to mount my module on like another user here did.
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 07:14:58 AM »

They are as tight as they are going to get and it still moves.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 07:17:22 AM »
I picked up a used (almost new) arm, attached it to the left corner leg, and mounted my snare on it.  My snare is also almost directly straight out from the arm, so it doesn't move at all.

I got a mounting clamp separately online, too, but not an Alesis... maybe a Gibraltar?

I might try to pick up another to mount my module on like another user here did.

Any chance you have a couple of pics of your set up and extra clamp being used so I can get an idea of what you mean?

Offline Ennuk3

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 08:15:43 AM »

It won't move, it will wobble only if it is tight enough and that wobbling is not a problem.

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 09:10:23 AM »

It won't move, it will wobble only if it is tight enough and that wobbling is not a problem.

I can assure you that I've tightened it as tight as it will go and it still moves. You are more than welcome to come over and give it a go.  ;D

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 09:14:17 AM »
I'm not sure if this would work, or make it worse, but how about some black Duck Tape!

But DO NOT use sponge sticky tape... that does NOT work on clamps... I tried that on a DIY clamp, and it was worse than the clamp alone.  It allows too much "movement" and the clamp just turned from the weight of the pad all by itself overnight!

I did not try Duck Tape though, so I'm not sure if that would hold, and make the pipe just large enough to hold it... maybe one or two wraps...???
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 05:53:42 PM »
I'm not sure if this would work, or make it worse, but how about some black Duck Tape!

But DO NOT use sponge sticky tape... that does NOT work on clamps... I tried that on a DIY clamp, and it was worse than the clamp alone.  It allows too much "movement" and the clamp just turned from the weight of the pad all by itself overnight!

I did not try Duck Tape though, so I'm not sure if that would hold, and make the pipe just large enough to hold it... maybe one or two wraps...???

I actually was debating whether to stick some duct tape on there or not. At least I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

I'm wondering why we have to resort to using duct tape because of a poor product? That's really annoying to say the least.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 07:42:59 PM »
I'm wondering why we have to resort to using duct tape because of a poor product? That's really annoying to say the least.

As vt asked before - could we see a picture on how you've mounted your snare pad?

I'm in gym two times a week, training my upper arms amongst others, but I never was able to push my snare down like this during play ;)

Offline vaikl

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 07:46:03 PM »
BTW: please don't ask *me* about a picture of my upper arms ;D

Offline Gerdy

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 07:57:56 PM »
I recommend iron rack clamps from DIXON.
Used these clamps with my former studio kit.
Very nice, if you plan to gig with your drum set because of the quick lock functionallity.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 08:11:09 PM »
That's why I liked my old, square cross-sectioned rack for my Pearl Masters Custom. Very heavy (steel), but no slipping at all with the square quick locks. Not stylish, but best rack I ever had.

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 09:16:49 PM »
I have the standard DM10 Studio clamps, and I've never had one move... this is very odd... almost like you might have one bad clamp.

Maybe try swapping that clamp with another Tom that you don't hit very often?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 10:30:03 PM »
Hi hockeyfan94,

To be honest, without a picture to show how you have it mounted, its going to be really hard to help you. Based on what you have described, it sounds as if you have your snare trigger mounted in such a way that it is cantilevered way out off the "L" rod mount. Plastic clamps can only hold so much. If it's cantilevered out, and you are a heavy hitter that uses heavy sticks (i.e. 5B), yes that snare is going to move. I would try using a lighter stick (5A) and readjusting the trigger so it sits more over the center of gravity of the clamp. If that doesn't work, get a snare stand. I don't like having my hi-hat or my snare attached to the rack. Too much crosstalk adjustments to deal with anyway. I hope that helps.

Offline DrumBumWoody

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 04:12:24 PM »
I would really suggest a snare stand. Must more flexibilty to position exactly where you want it.
DM10x2 Pro with surge cyms + additional surge crash and tom + Roland PD125 snare + Roland KD120 Kick with Iron Cobra double pedals, all with mesh heads(HellFire conversion - BBIII), DM7 USB, USB Pro, Trigger I/O, Tama percussion, Conga's, Bongo's, Roto Toms, cow bell and block.

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 05:53:09 PM »
Hi hockeyfan94,

To be honest, without a picture to show how you have it mounted, its going to be really hard to help you. Based on what you have described, it sounds as if you have your snare trigger mounted in such a way that it is cantilevered way out off the "L" rod mount. Plastic clamps can only hold so much. If it's cantilevered out, and you are a heavy hitter that uses heavy sticks (i.e. 5B), yes that snare is going to move. I would try using a lighter stick (5A) and readjusting the trigger so it sits more over the center of gravity of the clamp. If that doesn't work, get a snare stand. I don't like having my hi-hat or my snare attached to the rack. Too much crosstalk adjustments to deal with anyway. I hope that helps.

I understand that people can only speculate at what my problem might be without actually having a visual to take a look at. I'll do my best to get a couple photos taken and uploaded on here over the xmas break.

I may want to go snare stand anyway. If I decide to go that route, am I looking for just a run of the mill snare stand or are there specially made ones? Thanks.

Offline Ennuk3

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 06:13:10 PM »
Maybe you just hit too hard, dynamics are important too, you know.

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 06:50:08 PM »
Maybe you just hit too hard, dynamics are important too, you know.

Yeah that could very well be true, but my tom3, which I hit just as "hard" hasn't moved at all. Granted I don't hit it nearly as often as I do the snare, but I do hit it with the same velocity and force as I do the snare.

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 08:00:17 PM »
Thanks to all who pushed me in the right direction. I'm embarrassed to admit that it was not the snare clamp at all. That was tight as one could get it. It was actually caused by the extension pole that the snare sits on not being seated right in the base of the H stand. I seated it properly and tightened that down and viola! Thanks to all!

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 08:28:18 PM »
Nice... glad you figured it out...

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 02:58:11 PM »
That's why I liked my old, square cross-sectioned rack for my Pearl Masters Custom. Very heavy (steel), but no slipping at all with the square quick locks. Not stylish, but best rack I ever had.

My new Alesis Dm10 studio Kit rack either SUCKS or is defective. I will explain on a new thread.