Author Topic: Replace the DM10 MKII PRO Module with STRIKE PERFORMANCE DRUM Module?  (Read 3552 times)

Hi Everyone!

New to this community so hope I've got this started in the right place?
I do need some input as to whether to return my just purchased DM10 MkII Pro Kit, or just try to replace the module with the new STRIKE PERFORMANCE DRUM Module?

I'm not a pro drummer, but after years of having many different acoustic and Roland VDrums that I've gone through, I'm well aware of what makes a quality pleasing sound worth spending money on.
Honestly I'm very impressed with the new DM10 MkII Pro Kit, especially considering the price (even here in Canada). The drum rack and mesh pads are not only very sturdy and quiet for my condo space, but visually very sharp looking.
It's just that I thought the module would of been somewhat better. Like other posts I've read, it has the editing, wav voice imports via USB etc, but all the drum kits and voices are somewhat flat and harsh to my ears, and I cannot make them come to life.

I really do not want to give up the hardware and mesh pads, so was thinking of trying to replace the DM10 MkII module with the new STRIKE PERFORMANCE DRUM Module. The music store will not allow me to take back only the module and trade in against the STRIKE PERFORMANCE DRUM Module, and I pay the difference...so if I keep the DM10 MkII Pro Kit, I would have to try and sell the module myself. Otherwise they would take the whole kit as a return (less than 30 days so far) but I would have to buy the Strike kit which I'm not too crazy about the red sparkle?

So any input as to whether or not putting the STRIKE PERFORMANCE DRUM Module on my DM10 MkII kit would be worth it?
I mean would it make a vast improvement on my mesh pads equal to the pads on the STRIKE KIT? Or are the new deeper shells and mesh heads on the
STRIKE KIT that much better?

Thanks in advance for any input.

ALESIS Pro Kit w/upgraded Strike Performance Drum Module.
NO cymbals for precise quiet playability [2-Roland PDX-6", 1-Roland PDX-8"mesh pads as HiHat, Crash, Ride]. AKG K52 Closed-back headphones.

Offline ironman187

The Strike module is going for about $700 right now with no warranty. I wouldn't consider the MKII in the same legue as the OG DM10, and the Strike to me feels like almost everything the DM10 could have been. Two things to note, people have been reporting issues with non-Strike hihats after the latest firmware update, and the ride cymbal has two 1/4" Jack's on it and takes up two inputs in the module. So you may have some compatibility issues. The good news is a Strike Hihat can be had for about $100-$130. And you can use the ride from an older DM10 if the MKII doesn't use a ride with two outputs. The Strike is a significantly larger kit and will take up more floor space. Personally, if space was an issue I would return the MKII buy these, and sell the DM10 module for $200-$300.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Alesis-DM10-Studio-Kit-Professional-Six-Piece-Electronic-Drum-Kit-Used/372364756317?epid=159435609&hash=item56b2ab455d%3Ag%3AGWoAAOSwuRBbRQwF&_sop=15&_pgn=2&_nkw=dm10+alesis&LH_BIN=1&rt=nc

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Alesis-Strike-Module-Excellent-Condition-w-Mount-and-Power-Supply/183346971850?hash=item2ab054c4ca%3Ag%3AzL8AAOSw4ZxbXdW2&_nkw=Alesis+Strike&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2332490.m4084.l1313.TR6.TRC1.A0.H0.XAlesis+Strike.TRS1

However, if you have the extra cash and a little more space, the Strike feels so much better to play on if you like the feel of acoustic kits. Mine is set up like my dad's old 70s Slingerland kit that I used to dabble with, so it feels more natural to me.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:53:21 AM by ironman187 »

Offline Iggford

I'm pretty sure the pads for the MKII are more or less the same as the original DM10 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that).  That being said, the Strike module will make a HUGE difference in the playability of your pads.  I have a DM10 kit that I use for band practice, and a Strike that I have at home and take to gigs.  I transport my Strike module between the two for practice because it makes that much of a difference.  The dynamics are so much better, that I truly miss it when I'm using my DM10.

I can't remember right off, does the MKII have a hi-hat on a stand, or does it use a pad and the RealHat pedal?  I can tell you that the Strike module works great with the RealHat pedal, at least in my experience.  It does NOT, however, work with my Pro-X hi-hat set.  The top pad will not trigger with the module. 

I have to agree that the Strike as an entire kit feels so much better, but at the very least, I seriously doubt you'd have any regrets upgrading your module.

--
Shawn

Thanks Shawn

That's the direction I think I'm going to take. Probably sell the MKII module, keep the mesh pads and rack and add the Strike module. If the new Strike kit was in black, I would consider returning my entire MKII Pro kit and just buy the Strike in black.
I know I could replace the wrap, but just getting too old to bother. ;)
Thanks for your input!

JUST ANOTHER NOTE about compatibility issues with the hi hats etc.
I'm trying to keep my noise level to a minimum in my condo where the drums are set up in my office/studio and on the 15th floor.
I'm actually selling al the cymbals and replacing them with a couple of extra 8" mesh pads mounted to the front posts on an angle, one for hi hat and the other for crash. I'm already using Tom #4 mounted on post as my ride cymbal.
I know it sounds odd, but the response and feel of using mesh instead of rubber is fantastic, not too mention so quiet.

I'm never going to move the drums from my studio space, so not using rubber cymbals isn't an issue as far as what people expect when seeing drums. It actually has a cool look to it, and like I said, I much prefer the feel of using mesh for all my cymbals!
Thanks Again!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:40:16 PM by eheyblom »
NO cymbals for precise quiet playability [2-Roland PDX-6", 1-Roland PDX-8"mesh pads as HiHat, Crash, Ride]. AKG K52 Closed-back headphones.

Offline Iggford

No problem at all! 

To me, personally, the red sparkle is a very striking (!) visual element of the Strike kit, and it has started a lot of conversations for me at various gigs.  But all in all, it comes down to personal preference.  But if you don't feel like undertaking a rewrap, and you're happy with the pads you have, it sounds like you are making a great choice.  The DM10's pads were (and still are) very good, in my opinion.  I honestly don't feel that there's much, if any, difference when I use my Strike module with my older kit.

The sound of what you are doing in place of the cymbals is very interesting.  When it comes down to it, it's really all about the best playability for you and what meets YOUR needs for the space that you play in.  I'm intrigued by the description, though.  Would you mind posting pictures once you get it set up? 

--
Shawn

So this would be the start of my conversion.
Here I'm using a 10" mesh pad as my main ride just above tom#3.

As you can see, mounting to the upright post allows for a perfect low riding position. I will do the same on the other side using two 8" mesh pads for my hi hat and ride/crash. Nothing fancy, but makes the playability really easy as the mesh pads can sit very close to the rest of the kit making it so you don't have very far to reach the mesh/cymbals!

By the way I'm a left handed drummer!

Offline ironman187

Re: Replace the DM10 MKII PRO Module with STRIKE PERFORMANCE DRUM Module?
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 12:58:06 AM »
Thanks Shawn

That's the direction I think I'm going to take. Probably sell the MKII module, keep the mesh pads and rack and add the Strike module. If the new Strike kit was in black, I would consider returning my entire MKII Pro kit and just buy the Strike in black.
I know I could replace the wrap, but just getting too old to bother. ;)
Thanks for your input!

JUST ANOTHER NOTE about compatibility issues with the hi hats etc.
I'm trying to keep my noise level to a minimum in my condo where the drums are set up in my office/studio and on the 15th floor.
I'm actually selling al the cymbals and replacing them with a couple of extra 8" mesh pads mounted to the front posts on an angle, one for hi hat and the other for crash. I'm already using Tom #4 mounted on post as my ride cymbal.
I know it sounds odd, but the response and feel of using mesh instead of rubber is fantastic, not too mention so quiet.

I'm never going to move the drums from my studio space, so not using rubber cymbals isn't an issue as far as what people expect when seeing drums. It actually has a cool look to it, and like I said, I much prefer the feel of using mesh for all my cymbals!
Thanks Again!
That's an interesting concept. It's similar to what E-Drums were doing from day one, so it's not unheard of.
Just an FYI, I do have two 8" mesh pads, and will be listing 2 10" mesh pads on eBay for a decent price if you are looking for replacements. /Shameless plug.

Offline Iggford

Re: Replace the DM10 MKII PRO Module with STRIKE PERFORMANCE DRUM Module?
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 10:09:42 AM »
I really like the look, great idea!  You're definitely right about the feel and response.  The mesh will give you a lot more of that.  Especially when you make that module upgrade.

A mesh pad and a RealHat pedal would actually be a great, even if unconventional, solution to the hi-hat headaches that the Strike can cause.  I've used one of the pedals with my Strike module, and it works great!

--
Shawn